Post: Could anyone please have a look at the draft of a free C language tutorial I am worki
05-11-2017, 08:45 AM #1
Theaznok
Save Point
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); This is just the first draft on the intended first chapter.
What I want to know is am I being practical with my approach. Or what can be the changes made to it to make it better.

The First Draft for the first chapter in the first good quality free C language book, i hope. any one care to review it for me...*

You must login or register to view this content.
05-15-2017, 09:04 AM #2
What's the point of your tutorial? Why would people come to read it when there exists much better alternatives; not only in substance but also in shape ( reading the unformatted code on your page hurts my eyes) ?

Originally posted by another user
How asm worked was it gave names to certain combinations of machine codes. Machine codes were entirely comprised of numbers. Now by using these named combinations programmers were better able to comprehend a code by looking at it, but not very much was done without the need to make massive calculations regarding where one wanted to go about with the code. Assembly was extremely fast but it was also extremely difficult to program in. Assembly took a long time to master in order for one to write complex codes in it. Thus, the need arose for a language that would be both fast and more human friendly.

Why are you using past tense?
ASM still exists and is still used. You kinda use it. Most compilers just turn your C code into ASM. Also it is still used in some case for optimization purposes; in embedded computing for example where people deal with very specific hardware so they might be able to do a better job than their compiler.

Not to mention your tutorial is nothing much more than a patchwork of definitions you copy pasted from random websites

( didn't bother to investigate more although I suspect that those aren't the only things you scraped from somewhere else without giving credits or sourcing! )

It is fine though since there is no point in redefining common notions when it was already well done by other people and is widely accessible to everyone. Which brings back to my first point.
What's the point of your tutorial?

I see that you hosted it via Linked In.

Don't you think that showing off projects instead of writing tutorials would work better to reach whatever goal you're trying to achieve :P?
Last edited by theDaftDev ; 05-15-2017 at 02:59 PM.
05-16-2017, 12:25 AM #3
Specter
Pro Memer
Originally posted by Theaznok View Post
This is just the first draft on the intended first chapter.
What I want to know is am I being practical with my approach. Or what can be the changes made to it to make it better.

The First Draft for the first chapter in the first good quality free C language book, i hope. any one care to review it for me...*

In addition to points brought up by theDaftDev, I noticed a quote looking through your link.

Originally posted by another user
The only case where both exit and return do the same job is in the main function, where it is used to exit the process (child process) safely.

This isn't true in most cases, return in main() returns to _libc_start_main(), a function that sets up the library and calls main(). Not a big point just something I thought I'd mention, I think it's important for C programmers to understand assembly and how their programs are setup in memory, as when they don't that's how critical bugs are created.
05-16-2017, 12:27 AM #4
Theaznok
Save Point
I will make the necessary changes. Thank you. Smile
05-16-2017, 12:42 AM #5
Theaznok
Save Point
Originally posted by theDaftDev View Post
What's the point of your tutorial? Why would people come to read it when there exists much better alternatives; not only in substance but also in shape ( reading the unformatted code on your page hurts my eyes) ?

ASM still exists and is still used. You kinda use it. Most compilers just turn your C code into ASM. Also it is still used in some case for optimization purposes; in embedded computing for example where people deal with very specific hardware so they might be able to do a better job than their compiler.

Not to mention your tutorial is nothing much more than a patchwork of definitions you copy pasted from random websites

( didn't bother to investigate more although I suspect that those aren't the only things you scraped from somewhere else without giving credits or sourcing! )

It is fine though since there is no point in redefining common notions when it was already well done by other people and is widely accessible to everyone. Which brings back to my first point.

Don't you think that showing off projects instead of writing tutorials would work better to reach whatever goal you're trying to achieve :P?

Thank you. Yes most of the material is credited to others. I intend to use it on a website. The idea is to provide free Reference books. Hopefully in the future it will be replaced with something much more concrete. But untill then I am afraid this will have to do. I do know the basics of C, but not much. I am also preparing for my exams in C.
The objective of the website is my notion that everything we find out is not always true. So I wanted to start a website that could offer better material than an encyclopedia. I hope to make a library of books that are free. People are poor here and many can't afford books. Besides, I also wanted one place where one may not need to search everywhere. I wanted something more specific than a Wikipedia.
I am the only one working on it as of now. And I don't know a lot of things. Could you please provide me some tips as to where I may begin to amend the issue.
05-16-2017, 12:54 AM #6
Theaznok
Save Point

My intention were not to show off. I am sorry if I gave such an impression. I merely wanted someone to help me out with the material. Two jobs don't leave much time to type. Not that I am asking for articles. But a list of things that can be done would be deeply appreciated. I will right away get on the task of making the necessary edits as mentioned by you. Is there anything else you could please shed some light on.
05-16-2017, 01:08 AM #7
Theaznok
Save Point
The 4days worth of article is down. :'( I did not like doing it, but you are absolutely correct. Will make changes by next week. Thank you.
05-16-2017, 05:54 AM #8
I do know the basics of C, but not much. I am also preparing for my exams in C.

I'm sorry and I don't know how to make it clear without potentially offending you but considering you are still a beginner I don't think writing tutorials is a good idea. It's not a good idea for you or the others.
Also if you don't have the time to write a tutorial for the internet then you most likely don't have the time to write books; which means you could use this time more efficiently. You need to deepen your knowledge in the language first. Make entertaining projects that will take less of your spare time and teach you more. Bonus point for your honesty and humility. Don't change!

My intention were not to show off.

There is nothing wrong with showing off your work. Especially on LinkedIn! I was not blaming you Smile

The 4days worth of article is down. :'(

Don't bring yourself down, life can be a rocky road; the matter is to keep moving Smile
05-16-2017, 11:03 AM #9
Theaznok
Save Point
I'm sorry and I don't know how to make it clear without potentially offending you but considering you are still a beginner I don't think writing tutorials is a good idea. It's not a good idea for you or the others.
Also if you don't have the time to write a tutorial for the internet then you most likely don't have the time to write books; which means you could use this time more efficiently. You need to deepen your knowledge in the language first. Make entertaining projects that will take less of your spare time and teach you more. Bonus point for your honesty and humility. Don't change!

There is nothing wrong with showing off your work. Especially on LinkedIn! I was not blaming you Smile

Don't bring yourself down, life can be a rocky road; the matter is to keep moving Smile

I was not offended. If I need to progress with my idea then I must listen to the people since the project will be for the people.
I will put a hold on tutorials till I deepen my knowledge, but I will still write articles about other things. If I think about it one topic is hardly a setback. I can write about other things. Like apple. I love apples and they don't need tutorials. Happy But my website must go online by the end of the month. I will not stop,I am just taking a detour. Smile Thank you once again.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo