Post: Mods please close this already. It has become a battleground! <3 thanks babe
07-17-2016, 09:12 AM #1
anthonything
Space Ninja
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); So if i may ask, why does everyone say there is an 'injection limit' for GSC size on PS3? Im pretty much 100% certain there is no such thing and that the block of memory we are injecting at just isnt big enough. Anyone have any rebuttals? If you say there is, please provide actual evidence and not 'i tried to inject xyz and it didnt work so there has to be' and more like 'size must be less than uint maxvalue' or something legitimate Not Happy or Sad. Thanks.

Answer explained for those who did not understand initially:
1: The only limit to GSC is the maximum memory partition you can reach before overwriting crucial system information or other files loaded into memory. This means that by finding a bigger memory space, you are able to inject much larger files.
2: The technical limit to GSC is impossible to reach, but is a fun trivia piece of information for those who want it (uint max value: 4294967295 bytes ) because GSC specifies file size in uint as a compilation parameter.
3: 0x51000000 will give you approximately 7.5MB of space for your GSC. (Not 100% sure of size because it was a tool i made that detected it and the tool cant handle non existant mem regions, but, its still a fuckload)
I have personally tested injection to this offset and it works fine. Only bug is that this apparently sticks in memory after ps3 restarts (no idea why, must be something important :P) so you will need to null out the space before injecting, but elsewise, enjoy.
Credit for this 'discovery' if you could call it that, would be nice. Thanks. Admins, you are good to close it.
Last edited by anthonything ; 07-27-2016 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Found huge memory partition

The following user thanked anthonything for this useful post:

BoatyMcBoatFace
07-17-2016, 10:07 AM #2
I mean I have been saying it for a while now, Due to the fact that my menu works perfectly on the xbox 360 but injecting to the PS3 instantly freezes the console as soon as it is finished, Others who have made menus and play PS3 that I know on the forums have also hit such limit where PS3 no longer works but xbox 360 does, I mean I don't know the exact cause of it but wouldn't you say it would have to be some kind of limit causing this?
07-17-2016, 10:10 AM #3
DF_AUS
NextGenUpdate Elite
Originally posted by anthonything View Post
So if i may ask, why does everyone say there is an 'injection limit' for GSC size on PS3? Im pretty much 100% certain there is no such thing and that the block of memory we are injecting at just isnt big enough. Anyone have any rebuttals? If you say there is, please provide actual evidence and not 'i tried to inject xyz and it didnt work so there has to be' and more like 'size must be less than uint maxvalue' or something legitimate Not Happy or Sad. Thanks.

Well,i would only assume it has limits due to the fact that if i inject to a different location console will freeze on pre loading screen,if i reduce code ( to test the limit ) injection works without issues!
Last edited by DF_AUS ; 07-17-2016 at 10:13 AM.
07-17-2016, 10:27 AM #4
Good question and for an example of some kind of limitation would be for instance i couldn't use both _developement_dvars.gsc and _rank.gsc and inject them both, so i merged the stuff i had in _rank into just 1 gsc file and it works, keep in my i don't know why. All sorts of limits though, the only kind of limits i've run into mp are string limits, precache limits, array limits. But there are also like variable limits which i have never made something so big that i have faced that issue, and all of these would probably differ from which platform you use to run gsc on, i believe these limitations people talk about don't fully know why haha.

To make a example of why a menu might work on Xbox 360 & PC but not PS3, could be that a menu uses 60+ array size and PS3's limit is roughly 60 im pretty sure.
Im not saying that is the issue for what these people talk of but could be one right.
Last edited by OfficialCoolJay ; 07-17-2016 at 10:34 AM.
07-17-2016, 10:46 AM #5
anthonything
Space Ninja
Originally posted by TheNiceUb3r View Post
I mean I have been saying it for a while now, Due to the fact that my menu works perfectly on the xbox 360 but injecting to the PS3 instantly freezes the console as soon as it is finished, Others who have made menus and play PS3 that I know on the forums have also hit such limit where PS3 no longer works but xbox 360 does, I mean I don't know the exact cause of it but wouldn't you say it would have to be some kind of limit causing this?

Originally posted by AUS View Post
Well,i would only assume it has limits due to the fact that if i inject to a different location console will freeze on pre loading screen,if i reduce code ( to test the limit ) injection works without issues!

Originally posted by OfficialCoolJay View Post
Good question and for an example of some kind of limitation would be for instance i couldn't use both _developement_dvars.gsc and _rank.gsc and inject them both, so i merged the stuff i had in _rank into just 1 gsc file and it works, keep in my i don't know why. All sorts of limits though, the only kind of limits i've run into mp are string limits, precache limits, array limits. But there are also like variable limits which i have never made something so big that i have faced that issue, and all of these would probably differ from which platform you use to run gsc on, i believe these limitations people talk about don't fully know why haha.

To make a example of why a menu might work on Xbox 360 & PC but not PS3, could be that a menu uses 60+ array size and PS3's limit is roughly 60 im pretty sure.
Im not saying that is the issue for what these people talk of but could be one right.

So here is my interpretation of this: No, there isnt. Technical max value is 4294967295 bytes, due to GSC file structure.
Here is my response to all:
1: NiceUber, you responded by saying its cause a menu didnt work. No comment here.
2: DF_AUS, where are you injecting? Because we are injecting to a different memory segment entirely than where the original GSC is.
3: Cooljay, the game does not have seperate limits per platform, hence why PC and console have equal variable limits when PC could obviously handle more. Thats why developing for last gen hinders the newer console's quality.
4: Cooljay, Most likely the reason your script merge fixed the issue is because GSC Studio adds a buffer in between files, so a combination removes the buffer and effectively adds space back for the file.

5: All: I havent attempted to find a fix to this 'issue' because i dont have a menu that big (because in reality a menu shouldnt reach that size to begin with) but i have a feeling if you simple injected to a different memory address GSC does not have a limit whatsoever. GSC Studio injects mid memory so that is why there is a small limit, and JWM just moves the injection spot Not Happy or Sad. Im going to assume this is the answer, but i would still like to leave this open in case someone with a counterargument pops up and corrects me.

The following user thanked anthonything for this useful post:

OfficialCoolJay
07-17-2016, 11:57 AM #6
So here is my interpretation of this: No, there isnt. Technical max value is 4294967295 bytes, due to GSC file structure.
1: NiceUber, you responded by saying its cause a menu didnt work. No comment here.
2: DF_AUS, where are you injecting? Because we are injecting to a different memory segment entirely than where the original GSC is.
3: Cooljay, the game does not have seperate limits per platform, hence why PC and console have equal variable limits when PC could obviously handle more. Thats why developing for last gen hinders the newer console's quality.
4: Cooljay, Most likely the reason your script merge fixed the issue is because GSC Studio adds a buffer in between files, so a combination removes the buffer and effectively adds space back for the file.

5: All: I havent attempted to find a fix to this 'issue' because i dont have a menu that big (because in reality a menu shouldnt reach that size to begin with) but i have a feeling if you simple injected to a different memory address GSC does not have a limit whatsoever. GSC Studio injects mid memory so that is why there is a small limit, and JWM just moves the injection spot Not Happy or Sad. Im going to assume this is the answer, but i would still like to leave this open in case someone with a counterargument pops up and corrects me.

ahh rightio maybe these issues between gsc working on only some platforms is issue with gsc studio?
and don't ignore the fact that strings are a limitation aswell, i heard that in zombies on some maps there are very little available,
i have even hit the limit on multiplayer, but thats because of having a loop that added new strings to the game over and over.
Basically people just need to code more efficiently with full understanding of how it impacts the rest of the code and game, then they won't have issues, but because most people just leave it a huge mess
and do it ugly using alot of unnecessary stuff such as 5 threads for a feature in there menu which could of just been done in 1 thread.
07-17-2016, 01:03 PM #7
jwm614
NextGenUpdate Elite

the biggest block of memory is where i start to inject to but you can not use any tool with rpc with my injectors cuz i write my gsc there
and for the limits there is a limit if you want to inject one file it has to be smaller than that block of memory other wise it overwrites memory
but if you inject mulit gsc you can change the injection spot to where ever you like but it has to fit in that block of memory(eg most injectors will inject the first gsc add 8 bytes an writes the next file etc )

The following user thanked jwm614 for this useful post:

EternalHabit
07-17-2016, 01:59 PM #8
EternalHabit
Former Staff
So if i may ask, why does everyone say there is an 'injection limit' for GSC size on PS3? Im pretty much 100% certain there is no such thing and that the block of memory we are injecting at just isnt big enough. Anyone have any rebuttals? If you say there is, please provide actual evidence and not 'i tried to inject xyz and it didnt work so there has to be' and more like 'size must be less than uint maxvalue' or something legitimate Not Happy or Sad. Thanks.

If you ever played on WAW, for ps3, menus like project x v2 and elasticity do not fit because of the com_hunkmegs is set very low on ps3. Im guessing devs did that since the ps3 doesnt have a lot of memory. Anyways, its the same issue here the ps3 is just fucked on memory
Last edited by EternalHabit ; 07-17-2016 at 02:04 PM.

The following user thanked EternalHabit for this useful post:

TheNiceUb3r
07-17-2016, 03:12 PM #9
Script Kiddie
At least I can fight
i have a question its probably pretty dumb but im curious

I see some people split their menu into 2 parts putting 1 part in a file named "_ambientpackage" and the 2ed part in another file named "_development_dvars"

Is it better to inject this way rather then inject with just gsc studio or a different injector ?

does this give you less of a chance of your console freezing while playing ?

or does freezing just have to with size of the menu ?
07-17-2016, 06:40 PM #10
gsc the limit for me at least in the developed is 255 kb

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo