Post: Black ops 3 musing on the response so far burnt our or populist hate?
04-27-2015, 10:06 PM #1
ResistTheSun
In Flames Much?
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Oh black ops 3 how the community hates you or do they.
Problem with anything these days rather easy to focus on the negative. Biological stand point we’re programmed to focus on the negative to avoid making the same mistake again.
Call of duty every year releases a trailer with no gameplay and negative feedback flows around the internet.

Endless cycle of press releases with details slowing flowing out and record sales numbers. Franchise may be unable to hit record numbers once again but 15 million units on average every year still the biggest game in town. When you compare to other franchises in the gaming world unable to match
Minecraft was able to sell 50 million units, every year call of duty is able to do ⅕ of that total.
Total sales for call of duty franchise is now 130 million over the course of 10 years with $10 billion being made. For reference Fifa series 18 years worth of games with around 100 million total sales. Tomb Raider the 2013 version sold 6 million units that was viewed as a failure.

Call of duty aims to make an audience out of anybody with enough money to buy the game. Concern is that the game is made just for children but given the average age of a gamer is a 30 misplaced concern. Series is firmly designed to be suited for even casual and hardcore gamers

Setting and theme

Black ops 3 carries on with the idea that the title focus is on special operations or black ops missions in which the naming comes from.
Some ‘fans’ of the series have stated that call of duty should stay within a modern setting avoiding going forward in time or dealing with any technology which is not standard issue. Any media which has constraints on it can’t grow or try new ideas. Instead this message is rather misplaced avoiding the real issue at play which business AAA studios operate in pushing pre order, big budget titles every year and tons of content. My view is that people instead of coming out saying they dislike these practises simply join on the populist wagon of hating call of duty.

Theme
Darker under tone which could make the single player rather special and not in the same way most shooters in the past have been ‘special’
Who knows maybe call of duty is ready to deal with more adult themes.

Same old?

Call of duty 4 progression system
Waw zombies
Modern warfare 2 bigger progression and custom killstreaks
Black ops 1 changes to the progression system
Modern warfare 3 perk based killstreaks
Black ops 2 league play
Ghosts new prestige system
AW new movement system
Black ops 3 ?

That a quick list off the top of my head of some of the big changes call of duty has done which has impacted the game. Ghosts is only title in recent years which has not added much apart from some minor changes to the prestige system.
Gameplay mechanics wise yes the game has not changed much but I very much doubt most players would like major changes to the formula. Saying the game is the same old is not true when comparing this basic list.
Biggest recent change has been increasing the overall movement system trend which is carrying the game back to the roots in which the engine comes from.

Sports game are more a refresh over anything new but they can have minor gameplay changes.

Settings or mechanics
For me what makes a game fun is the overall mechanics, setting keeps me playing placing me in a world I don’t want to leave. Minecraft is so successful due to this reason allows players to create their own backstory and story by the use of mods. Settings gives the game character why final fantasy as a series creates a rich set of characters.

Realistic expectations
For the longest period of time I always wanted the series to be something more than it was. This was quite frankly an unrealistic expectation quickly realised my mistake. Game is casual focused random mess of a shooter which can be rather fun.
Unable to create your old experience but able to create new ones.

End of the day…..
Lack of gameplay in a trailer is a fair thing to be negative about most companies only show the best bits. Negative views around call of duty are unjust my eyes the result more of industry as a whole.
Theme wise black ops 3 may be willing to enter darker waters but given how the series has a light hearted tone who knows. We have seen in the past some quite brutal scenes and set pieces. Same old same old overall call of duty has changed more compared to most series.
On balance the new setting should allow the studio to visit a range of new themes and areas.
Realistic expectations are required you won’t be able to recreate the highs of past games but can offer new experiences the older titles are unable to create every year.

The following user thanked ResistTheSun for this useful post:

Geo
04-27-2015, 10:17 PM #2
Geo
Don't Believe The Title
Originally posted by ResistTheSun View Post
Oh black ops 3 how the community hates you or do they.
Problem with anything these days rather easy to focus on the negative. Biological stand point we’re programmed to focus on the negative to avoid making the same mistake again.
Call of duty every year releases a trailer with no gameplay and negative feedback flows around the internet.

Endless cycle of press releases with details slowing flowing out and record sales numbers. Franchise may be unable to hit record numbers once again but 15 million units on average every year still the biggest game in town. When you compare to other franchises in the gaming world unable to match
Minecraft was able to sell 50 million units, every year call of duty is able to do ⅕ of that total.
Total sales for call of duty franchise is now 130 million over the course of 10 years with $10 billion being made. For reference Fifa series 18 years worth of games with around 100 million total sales. Tomb Raider the 2013 version sold 6 million units that was viewed as a failure.

Call of duty aims to make an audience out of anybody with enough money to buy the game. Concern is that the game is made just for children but given the average age of a gamer is a 30 misplaced concern. Series is firmly designed to be suited for even casual and hardcore gamers

Setting and theme

Black ops 3 carries on with the idea that the title focus is on special operations or black ops missions in which the naming comes from.
Some ‘fans’ of the series have stated that call of duty should stay within a modern setting avoiding going forward in time or dealing with any technology which is not standard issue. Any media which has constraints on it can’t grow or try new ideas. Instead this message is rather misplaced avoiding the real issue at play which business AAA studios operate in pushing pre order, big budget titles every year and tons of content. My view is that people instead of coming out saying they dislike these practises simply join on the populist wagon of hating call of duty.

Theme
Darker under tone which could make the single player rather special and not in the same way most shooters in the past have been ‘special’
Who knows maybe call of duty is ready to deal with more adult themes.

Same old?

Call of duty 4 progression system
Waw zombies
Modern warfare 2 bigger progression and custom killstreaks
Black ops 1 changes to the progression system
Modern warfare 3 perk based killstreaks
Black ops 2 league play
Ghosts new prestige system
AW new movement system
Black ops 3 ?

That a quick list off the top of my head of some of the big changes call of duty has done which has impacted the game. Ghosts is only title in recent years which has not added much apart from some minor changes to the prestige system.
Gameplay mechanics wise yes the game has not changed much but I very much doubt most players would like major changes to the formula. Saying the game is the same old is not true when comparing this basic list.
Biggest recent change has been increasing the overall movement system trend which is carrying the game back to the roots in which the engine comes from.

Sports game are more a refresh over anything new but they can have minor gameplay changes.

Settings or mechanics
For me what makes a game fun is the overall mechanics, setting keeps me playing placing me in a world I don’t want to leave. Minecraft is so successful due to this reason allows players to create their own backstory and story by the use of mods. Settings gives the game character why final fantasy as a series creates a rich set of characters.

Realistic expectations
For the longest period of time I always wanted the series to be something more than it was. This was quite frankly an unrealistic expectation quickly realised my mistake. Game is casual focused random mess of a shooter which can be rather fun.
Unable to create your old experience but able to create new ones.

End of the day…..
Lack of gameplay in a trailer is a fair thing to be negative about most companies only show the best bits. Negative views around call of duty are unjust my eyes the result more of industry as a whole.
Theme wise black ops 3 may be willing to enter darker waters but given how the series has a light hearted tone who knows. We have seen in the past some quite brutal scenes and set pieces. Same old same old overall call of duty has changed more compared to most series.
On balance the new setting should allow the studio to visit a range of new themes and areas.
Realistic expectations are required you won’t be able to recreate the highs of past games but can offer new experiences the older titles are unable to create every year.

My thoughts on the game are currently very open, I do like the way Treyarch develop and set out there releases, as well as making it balanced. I have not heard someone say 'I do not like Treyarch released Call Of Duty's' and I don't expect that to start.

I am confident although it looks like AW, in that it will play a hell of a lot different with some fun new introductions on which I am open for opinions to. Although like you said, they are going to need a submarine for how deep they are going.
04-28-2015, 07:22 AM #3
KL9
★ NGU ★
I'm sure the game will be fun to play because it's Treyarc but it's just hard to get over the future era that these newer CoDs take place in. I still think any CoD that takes place in the present, past, or *slight* future (like bo2) will be the better ones...for me that is. Well actually I guess ghosts is considered the slight future but you know what mean.
04-28-2015, 03:51 PM #4
iHaxel
We're no strangers to love
ChampChong played the game, and gave us some details. Comfirmed that there wouldn't be any EXO Suit, but something new.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo