Post: [TuT]Get Best connection possible on PS3(+ NAT: Open)
12-24-2010, 01:05 PM #1
bertieboy7
Can’t trickshot me!
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Hello fellow NGU members,

Let me start off by saying that there are tons of tutorials like this one on the Internet. This tutorial is no different than the existing ones but just a little bit more cleaned up for the uber noobs among us Cool Man (aka Tustin)

Tired of having that strict or moderate NAT Type in Black ops,
ruining your entire parties and games ?

Here is your answer!

We are basically going to use the
DMZ (Demilitarized zone) function of your router in order to maximize your connection to your PS3.

Step 1:

First you need to find your routers "default gateway".
On your computer type "cmd" in the start menu. You should now get the black & white command prompt of windows. Type in "ipconfig" and look for "default gateway".
Note down the numbers as we are going to use it a lot in this tutorial.

Mine is for example
Step 2:

Now go on your ps3, go to Settings > Network Settings > "Internet Connection Settings" option on the PS3 Cross bar menus.

Select "Wired" or wireless" (choose the one that refers to you).

Both selections should show a page called "Address Settings". Here you will need to select "Custom".
Another page will then display entitled "IP Address Setting". The option "Manual" will need to be selected.
Now a page of customizable ip addresses can be entered. This is the important part...

Ip address -
This will need the static ip internal address , don't worry lol u dont need to understand. In our case we are goin to enter 192.168.1.100 as it is unlikely 99 other devices are connected to the same router.

Subnet Mask -
Is always set to 255.255.255.0

Default router -
now enter the "default gateway" address you got earlier from your computer

Primary DNS -
Same IP Address as "Default Router"

Secondary DNS -
Same IP Address as "Default Router"

Select "Enter" and a "MTU" screen should come up (i don't know what the hell MTU is). Just select "automatic" and then select "Do not use proxy" on the next screen.

Step 3:

Now go back on your PC, open your web browser and enter that "default gateway" address into the address bar.
A login authorization prompt may come up and you will need to enter your username and password (should be somewhere in the user manual for the router).

If your using a linksys router like me leave the username box empty and enter "admin" for the password.

Step 4:

A router configuration page should show up showing many settings and options you will have no clue about (note that all router configuration interfaces are different depending on the make of the router, so the settings/preferences will be in different places).

All your interested in is finding a setting named as "DMZ" of anything with "DMZ" in it. So search around in all the tabs and settings for the mention of "DMZ" (it might be in your security/firewall settings).

Once you have found it, there should be an option of enabling it. Do so and then enter the static ip address you gave your ps3 earlier; the example i gave was 192.168.1.100. So enter that and select "apply" or "save changes".

[OPTIONAL] Whilst your on there try and find a setting of "UPnP" and make sure thats enabled aswell.

Step 5:

Now turn off every system connected to your router including the router, computers, ps3 etc. This is done so the changes can take place asap. Wait a 30-40 secs and then turn your router and ps3 back on and the process is complete.

Step 6 (double check):
Now once your PS3 is restarted do an "Internet connection test". You should get UPnP available (optional), NAT Type 2 and 192.168.1.100 as our static internal IP !!

If you do not get this IP than start again at step 2. You must have done someting wrong.

After starting up Black Ops you should also see in multiplayer that your NAT Type is open. If not a quick restart of your PS3 & router should fix it

If that didn't fix it either than you must have entered the DMZ settings in your router homepage wrong.

Otherwise I do not have a solution for your problem.

Have fun playing Black Ops with your new sick connection. :mudkip:

This guys does the same steps:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex-4qQ6trwk[/ame]

Credits to Kirizmaxx at nextgendaily
Thanks are appreciated Happy

Last edited by bertieboy7 ; 12-27-2010 at 12:06 PM.

The following 26 users say thank you to bertieboy7 for this useful post:

-----CrAzY-----, .Robot, +Sfx Krush, allant, chris2k7sears, craigp, Diezel, EnD*, gameoverrg, Goleggett, Hamilbum, iiReMix4, Jerkwadd562, Luke, Mezzid, MP-47AK5, MrMojo, NorskTnaka, ReK, Sharpie, tcwyw, Th3End, Venom, xRafiq-, ZoneHD, zyfix
12-24-2010, 01:09 PM #2
Mine's already open and i did nothing Smile plus i get host too BUT Great detailed Tut
12-24-2010, 01:14 PM #3
Joe Stalin
Geohot FTW!
great tut...............should be stickyed
12-24-2010, 01:18 PM #4
bertieboy7
Can’t trickshot me!
Thank you guys. :p
12-24-2010, 01:46 PM #5
This is already on youtube.
12-24-2010, 01:52 PM #6
Same thread posted everywhere. Linksys suck, to get host everytime you have to forward ports.
12-24-2010, 01:58 PM #7
bertieboy7
Can’t trickshot me!
Originally posted by Dirtymomonline View Post
Same thread posted everywhere. Linksys suck, to get host everytime you have to forward ports.

Thats what DMZ does, putting all ports of your system open directly to the internet.
DMZ removes the firewall between the internet and the internal IP you gave.

About the linksys, thats just because most people got these.

And last thing, this tut isn't meant to get you host more often (since that actually gives a disadvantage) but to change moderate and strict NAT to open.
Users who do this will certainly notice the benefit of it. No longer waiting to find a lobby/game, you don't break up as fast in parties...

The following user thanked bertieboy7 for this useful post:

NorskTnaka
12-24-2010, 02:06 PM #8
Originally posted by bertieboy7 View Post
Thats what DMZ does, putting all ports of your system open directly to the internet.
DMZ removes the firewall between the internet and the internal IP you gave.

About the linksys, thats just because most people got these.

And last thing, this tut isn't meant to get you host more often (since that actually gives a disadvantage) but to change moderate and strict NAT to open.
Users who do this will certainly notice the benefit of it. No longer waiting to find a lobby/game, you don't break up as fast in parties...

DMZ weakens the security of your router. Its better if you just forward certain ports.
12-24-2010, 02:10 PM #9
bertieboy7
Can’t trickshot me!
Originally posted by Dirtymomonline View Post
DMZ weakens the security of your router. Its better if you just forward certain ports.

Plain shit, the only security that is lifted is the one on the given IP.

But since virusses/malware are OS based they have no affect at all on our closed PS3.

There is really no security threat or whatsoever for you ps3 by putting it in DMZ mode.

All other systems connected to your router still have their firewall enabled ...
12-24-2010, 04:56 PM #10
deathday
Pokemon Trainer
bumping this as I'm going to use it later, currently on a mac with no idea of how to use it.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo