Discussion: What is Call of Duty's next move? - NextGenUpdate
THREAD: What is Call of Duty's next move?
  1. 12-19-2017, 02:56 PM
    NextGenUpdate
    Sponsored Links

I know it's a fairly vague title, but I'm curious to hear what you guys think of the future of Call of Duty and whether or not their current model of 3 developers switching through each year is sustainable long term.*

COD has been a hit or miss title to the majority of the fanbase since 2012- to some even earlier-but with the stunning emergence of battle royale games along with the ever changing gaming landscape for younger gamers, Call of Duty seems to have a problem. Most of you here will probably say the franchise has been dead in the dirt for years, but it's never been to this extent from what I've seen. Sure, WW2 player count was over 400% higher than Infinite Warfare's in the opening week. I've tried searching for more counts on PS4 as that seems to be the go to console for COD now, but either way it's safe to say that it's declined.*

Fortnite has definitely done the most damage in my opinion, or rather it's been the icing on top of the cake. A free game built for friends to group up with on a random island was all it took to disrupt the COD landscape. I think that this is where COD online could truly shine. Does the $500 million sales first week outweigh a COD online experience with tons of loot and microtransactions long term? I'm not so sure. According to articles, Activision made 3.6 Billion from in-game sales in 2016, so COD online could compete, while also improving their playerbase with a free game. So what do you guys think, I still play WW2 occasionally, dropped BO3 though, and mostly play Fortnite :p
  2. Sponsored Links
  3. 12-19-2017, 03:24 PM
    Hydrogen
    H20 Formula
    Hydrogen
    H20 Formula
    NextGenUpdate
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post
    I know it's a fairly vague title, but I'm curious to hear what you guys think of the future of Call of Duty and whether or not their current model of 3 developers switching through each year is sustainable long-term.*

COD has been a hit or miss title to the majority of the fanbase since 2012- to some even earlier-but with the stunning emergence of battle royale games along with the ever-changing gaming landscape for younger gamers, Call of Duty seems to have a problem. Most of you here will probably say the franchise has been dead in the dirt for years, but it's never been to this extent from what I've seen. Sure, a WW2 player count was over 400% higher than Infinite Warfares in the opening week. I've tried searching for more counts on PS4 as that seems to be the go-to console for COD now, but either way, it's safe to say that it's declined.*

Fortnite has definitely done the most damage in my opinion, or rather it's been the icing on top of the cake. A free game built for friends to group up with on a random island was all it took to disrupt the COD landscape. I think that this is where COD online could truly shine. Do the $500 million sales the first week outweigh a COD online experience with tons of loot and microtransactions long term? I'm not so sure. According to [Only registered and activated users can see links. ], Activision made 3.6 Billion from in-game sales in 2016, so COD online could compete, while also improving their player base with a free game. So what do you guys think, I still play WW2 occasionally, dropped BO3 though, and mostly play Fortnite :p
    Let's say a nice modern COD from Treyarch not sure about the Black Ops Series continuing, but shit, if Activision could partner up with Raven. Let's show Sledgehammer how it is done by remastering World at War? If you're saying they made 3.6 billion. World at War alone could potentially break 9 Billion itself.
  4. 12-19-2017, 03:47 PM
    NextGenUpdate
    Originally Posted by Hydrogen View Post
    Let's say a nice modern COD from Treyarch not sure about the Black Ops Series continuing, but shit, if Activision could partner up with Raven. Let's show Sledgehammer how it is done by remastering World at War? If you're saying they made 3.6 billion. World at War alone could potentially break 9 Billion itself.
    Well I think that was just because Black Ops 3 was mega popular, I can't see WW2 keeping up with BO3's pace.Another thing I hate about the COD franchise, everything is so business oriented in a gaming landscape. What I mean by that is, you see Fortnite/PUBG developers making changes on a whim that they think are necessary, or in a recent case they reverted an update. With COD there's always a delay in getting things done, probably because the chain of command is so long. Sure Treyarch games pop but the Zombies community is all but dead right now. Maybe things will pop off again next year, although Treyarch cannot be pleased with the last two years going into their next game imo
  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Outsider For This Useful Post:

6. 12-19-2017, 03:51 PM
    Hydrogen
    H20 Formula
    Hydrogen
    H20 Formula
    NextGenUpdate
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post
    Well I think that was just because Black Ops 3 was mega popular, I can't see WW2 keeping up with BO3's pace.Another thing I hate about the COD franchise, everything is so business oriented in a gaming landscape. What I mean by that is, you see Fortnite/PUBG developers making changes on a whim that they think are necessary, or in a recent case they reverted an update. With COD there's always a delay in getting things done, probably because the chain of command is so long. Sure Treyarch games pop but the Zombies community is all but dead right now. Maybe things will pop off again next year, although Treyarch cannot be pleased with the last two years going into their next game imo
    Game developers just don't realize that if you make a simple game, the easier and more fun it will be. We have COD over here always making new innovation taking a risk when they fail all the time. They try making things so complex where it's just too much. Keeping it simple like the good ol' days for COD was just brilliant.
  7. 12-19-2017, 04:12 PM
    NextGenUpdate
    Originally Posted by Hydrogen View Post
    Game developers just don't realize that if you make a simple game, the easier and more fun it will be. We have COD over here always making new innovation taking a risk when they fail all the time. They try making things so complex where it's just too much. Keeping it simple like the good ol' days for COD was just brilliant.
    Yea I mean Call of Duty definitely does a great job on map/model development. Maybe we are being a little bit tough on them as I can say I've been playing the game since 2007. Maybe they're satisfied with me buying my 8/10 COD titles in their run lol. There will always be new players coming in, but it just doesn't seem the same regardless. BO4 will have to bring the heat
  8. 12-19-2017, 04:51 PM
    NextGenUpdate
    Idk, I think it hinders their progress having developers the way they do as one company will copyright something so the others cant use it. Some of the zombie stuff use to copyrighted so it wasn't allowed to be used directly. (The light in the sky for instance.)

Frankly if they would all just work together they wouldn't have the issue of fans being so disappointed regardless of their sales. The idea that SH didn't want to make WWII is prime example lol.
  9. 12-23-2017, 12:39 PM
    MLB
    here comes dat boi
    MLB
    here comes dat boi
    NextGenUpdate
    they better remaster MW2 or we gone have problems
  10. The Following User Says Thank You to MLB For This Useful Post:

11. 12-25-2017, 04:21 PM
    SC58
    Former Staff
    SC58
    Former Staff
    NextGenUpdate
    Originally Posted by MLB View Post
    they better remaster MW2 or we gone have problems
    it will end up like mwr sadly, will admit it was a dank remaster but they added in to much BS and make it not remastered at all, can't wait to buy mw2r dlc's
  12. 01-01-2018, 02:03 PM
    Soldier.
    The Legend
    Soldier.
    The Legend
    NextGenUpdate
    I think they need to stop remaking maps for a start. Been there, done that, got the t shirt and grew out of it. Said t shirt should stay in a memory box somewhere. I wouldnt mind seeing ground war return, or bigger maps and more players in general.