THREAD: Password Keeps Expiring
  1. 12-14-2016, 10:46 PM
    spookcentral
    Save Point
    spookcentral
    Save Point
    NextGenUpdate
    I am constantly being told that my password is "old" has been expired, and that I need to set a new one. Just right now, it forced me to change my password because it says that my password was "91 days old", as if three months is really a long time. Hell, my bank doesn't even ask me to change my password so damn much. This has happened to me dozens of times over the past two years that I've been a member of the site. How can I turn off this annoying "feature" and keep the same password for however long *I* want?
  2. 12-15-2016, 04:42 AM
    Kronos
    Time is Ticking
    Kronos
    Time is Ticking
    NextGenUpdate
    Originally Posted by spookcentral View Post
    I am constantly being told that my password is "old" has been expired, and that I need to set a new one. Just right now, it forced me to change my password because it says that my password was "91 days old", as if three months is really a long time. Hell, my bank doesn't even ask me to change my password so damn much. This has happened to me dozens of times over the past two years that I've been a member of the site. How can I turn off this annoying "feature" and keep the same password for however long *I* want?
    Dont think you can, that feature is there for your protection and for ours.
  3. 12-15-2016, 05:39 AM
    Sparrow
    Majestic
    Sparrow
    Majestic
    NextGenUpdate
    It's because they don't require a 'secure' password (uppercase, lowercase, number, symbol) so have an ageing policy instead. Also you don't have to call up after 3 failed password attempts, unlike most banks makes your account vulnerable to hacks.

At work our's is a secure password & a timeout of 2 weeks

Originally Posted by Saint Kronos View Post
    Dont think you can, that feature is there for your protection and for ours.
    Should have a password option to require a secure one with a longer age on it, even though I think 3 months is ideal, obviously other's don't.
  4. 12-17-2016, 01:08 AM
    spookcentral
    Save Point
    spookcentral
    Save Point
    NextGenUpdate
    Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
    Should have a password option to require a secure one with a longer age on it, even though I think 3 months is ideal, obviously other's don't.
    That would be a good compromise instead of the frequent expirations.
  5. 12-17-2016, 08:15 AM
    Ali
    Canít trickshot me!
    Ali
    Canít trickshot me!
    NextGenUpdate
    Well there are people out there who try to leak the databases for forums, it's happened here before. So the fact they make you change your password frequently is a good thing, it prevents those people from accessing your account, well not 100% but it does do its job. I guess this is how I see it atleast.
  6. 12-17-2016, 03:38 PM
    NextGenUpdate
    Not sure why it would be doing that. For the usergroup you're in, you're only required to change your password every 500 days.
  7. 12-18-2016, 01:55 PM
    Madison Taylor
    Dark Knight
    Madison Taylor
    Dark Knight
    NextGenUpdate
    I was gonna make a thread about this too, it's very excessive if it is intentional. Forcing users to change their password evert 3 months is most likely more detrimental to security anyway as people will undoubtedly just resort to using the same password with an incrementing number or something rather than choose a unique strong password each time as they just won't remember it. I honestly don't see the point anyway, if your database has passwords hashed + salted and encrypted then even if it is leaked it's not like it's any use to people anyway.
  8. 12-18-2016, 07:48 PM
    Frosty
    Olaf The Snowman
    Frosty
    Olaf The Snowman
    NextGenUpdate
    Originally Posted by Madison Taylor View Post
    I was gonna make a thread about this too, it's very excessive if it is intentional. Forcing users to change their password evert 3 months is most likely more detrimental to security anyway as people will undoubtedly just resort to using the same password with an incrementing number or something rather than choose a unique strong password each time as they just won't remember it. I honestly don't see the point anyway, if your database has passwords hashed + salted and encrypted then even if it is leaked it's not like it's any use to people anyway.
    Someone could make a random string of digits and letters for their pw, and save it to their Lastpass, or write it down.