05-02-2011, 12:04 PM #1
Mr Grumpy
< ^ > < ^ >
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Well basically, i'm using my broken screen laptop hooked up to a monitor atm due to my main pc breaking downa (again), i was checking if there was anything wrong with my disc using Tune up utilities 2011 disk doctor, it kept freezing so i jus held down the power button, recently it froze again, infact about 20 min ago, and when booting up it says, to replace hdd and backup data, i've only had this computer for just over a year so surely it cannot be hdd failure, my laptop is a Acer Extensa 5235. If there is any other solutions/problems to this then could you reply? Thanks
05-02-2011, 12:28 PM #2
DeLeTeD
Maggbot timeout!
hd failure can happen within a year, or even shorter. I have opened brand new parts like cpus, ram, even power supplies which come dead out of the box or die shortly after.

What is the exact message that shows & when does it show?
05-02-2011, 01:12 PM #3
Mr Grumpy
< ^ > < ^ >
I'll write it down once i switch it back off, im dloading windows updates atm

---------- Post added at 02:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 PM ----------

Heres what it says,

Smart Failure predicted on your hard disk 0:WD1600BEVT-22ZCT0-(PM)

WARNING : Immediately back-up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A failure may be immient.

Press F1 to continue

It shows up right b4 the windows 7 bootup screen comes up, as soon as i turn it on it says the failure, then acer logo, then windows 7 startup
Last edited by Mr Grumpy ; 05-02-2011 at 01:14 PM.
05-02-2011, 02:31 PM #4
DeLeTeD
Maggbot timeout!
Basically this is a sign or a warning that the hard drive is about to die. Sometimes it will work for a small amount of time so if you can boot up and do have info you want to save then I would do it sooner then later.

The following user thanked DeLeTeD for this useful post:

Mr Grumpy
05-02-2011, 02:59 PM #5
Mr Grumpy
< ^ > < ^ >
Hmm, okay,but if i were to get another hdd, do i just copy everything from the old one into the the one, and will windows still run on it? or do i need to contact microsoft?
05-02-2011, 03:05 PM #6
DeLeTeD
Maggbot timeout!
If you get another hdd you need to install windows on it for it to run & then you can copy over your data (pics, videos, docs ect)

You cant just copy windows over :P

Mr Grumpy
05-02-2011, 07:07 PM #7
Mr Grumpy
< ^ > < ^ >
So do i need to contact microsoft? because this laptop has windows7 prof legal version,i have the product key and everything
05-03-2011, 02:04 PM #8
DeLeTeD
Maggbot timeout!
no just install it onto your new harddrive and use the same product key.

Mr Grumpy
05-03-2011, 06:38 PM #9
Mr Grumpy
< ^ > < ^ >
Okay thanks, mods can close now Smile

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo