01-16-2012, 11:53 PM #1
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Now i'm just curious on how long does it usually take to learn these program codings.

C++
01-17-2012, 12:05 AM #2
Originally posted by TheKravenHd View Post
Now i'm just curious on how long does it usually take to learn these program codings.

C++

Depends on how advanced you want to go with it could take a couple weeks could take a couple months just depends
01-17-2012, 03:36 AM #3
Pichu
RIP PICHU.
Originally posted by Warlockplayer19 View Post
Depends on how advanced you want to go with it could take a couple weeks could take a couple months just depends

When one says "Learn" that usually means to understand completely. :P

---------
Depending upon how much time you have, how quickly you can learn and understand, essentially you can expect a month to a year.

It's like learning to count to 100, if you learn one number a day, you learn to count to 100 in 100 days, learn 2 numbers a day, then you learn it in 50 days.

Say you learn Looping and Arrays, you can have that down in one day or two. Ect.

Get an Ebook and try to learn and master each chapter every 1-4 days.
01-17-2012, 04:10 AM #4
Epic?
Awe-Inspiring
Now i'm just curious on how long does it usually take to learn these program codings.

C++

This might seem a little repetitive because of previous answers, but "how long" really isn't the right question to ask.

First of all, it can really vary:

• How much do you want to learn (and what do you want to learn)?
  • How quickly do you learn new things?
  • How much time are you willing to spend to learn new things?

Aside from that remember there's a big difference between learning a programming language, and knowing how to program.
01-17-2012, 06:28 AM #5
GQGK
Skillz

C++

Don't listen to people saying months. Won't happen. You won't understand anything nor will you be able to make anything really worthwhile in a couple months. If you want to fully understand and comprehend it, it will take years. There is a lot to learn. Algorithms, equations, system-level operation, and plenty of other stuff you'll have to wrap your head around if you want to be an actual programmer.

The following user thanked GQGK for this useful post:

Actual C++
01-17-2012, 08:16 AM #6
Correy
I'm the Original

C++

depends how much effort you put into learning it Smile

The following user thanked Correy for this useful post:

Actual C++
01-17-2012, 01:57 PM #7
Now.. are there any requirements in order to learn c++? or can you just learn start learning it.
01-17-2012, 06:59 PM #8
Epic?
Awe-Inspiring
Now.. are there any requirements in order to learn c++? or can you just learn start learning it.

There are no "knowledge-based" requirements to learning a programming language. You'll need a You must login or register to view this content. and a You must login or register to view this content. (or a combination of the two known as an You must login or register to view this content.). Of course, there are a number of different compilers, text editors, and IDEs, but your learning resource will probably recommend one.

It will be beneficial if you have a basic understanding of mathematics (though more helpful if you have an advanced understanding of mathematics). Some experience with discrete mathematics will also help. Of course, how much math (and what kind of math) you need really depends on the learning resource you choose (some books are very math-intensive while others are less so), and at a later time, it will also depend on what projects you choose to work on (which is where more domain-specific interests come into play, if you wanted to develop games, you'll need to understand physics).

Don't forget that gaining an education in computer science is likely more important than gaining an education in programming in C++. And as far as programming in C++ goes, programming methodology and software engineering principles are far more important than the actual language.
Last edited by Epic? ; 01-17-2012 at 07:03 PM.
01-17-2012, 11:37 PM #9
Originally posted by Epic
There are no "knowledge-based" requirements to learning a programming language. You'll need a You must login or register to view this content. and a You must login or register to view this content. (or a combination of the two known as an You must login or register to view this content.). Of course, there are a number of different compilers, text editors, and IDEs, but your learning resource will probably recommend one.

It will be beneficial if you have a basic understanding of mathematics (though more helpful if you have an advanced understanding of mathematics). Some experience with discrete mathematics will also help. Of course, how much math (and what kind of math) you need really depends on the learning resource you choose (some books are very math-intensive while others are less so), and at a later time, it will also depend on what projects you choose to work on (which is where more domain-specific interests come into play, if you wanted to develop games, you'll need to understand physics).

Don't forget that gaining an education in computer science is likely more important than gaining an education in programming in C++. And as far as programming in C++ goes, programming methodology and software engineering principles are far more important than the actual language.

If you don't mind where can i start at C++? Please be very specific as in book titles and/or websites. Thank you.
01-18-2012, 01:54 AM #10
Epic?
Awe-Inspiring
If you don't mind where can i start at C++? Please be very specific as in book titles and/or websites. Thank you.

The canonical C++ books would be Programming: Principles and Practices Using C++ and The C++ Programming Language, both authored by Bjarne Stroustrup, the creator of the C++ programming language. Of course, they are a little old and a little fast-paced, but they are still very relevant (edit: why does NGU censor that word?).

C++ Primer by Stanley Lippman is also popular.

I'm fairly sure Stanford has some open courseware that involves C++ (though I believe they start off with Java).

You should also pay a visit to CProgramming.com, they have a C++ book list.

Anyhow, your goal should not be to learn C++, but to learn about programming methodology and computer science, then you should worry about choosing a language (I say that especially because many people find that while they think they like C++, they actually don't). Programming goes a lot deeper than the language. And knowing a programming language is a lot different than knowing how to program.
Last edited by Epic? ; 01-18-2012 at 01:57 AM.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo