04-22-2012, 06:53 PM #1
caleb01
Little One
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); I will come up with a better title for this post if need be.

Why I am Posting This
Originally posted by another user
First off I know there are probably a lot more sites than ive listed and I will keep updating this if I every find any others, but these are some sites so far that I have used before. Some of these sites do cost, but there are some free ones that ive stumbled upon. I am doing this because not much is ever really posted in the programming section and new people that want to learn programming usually ask the following questions (as I did) : How do I learn a programming language? Where do I learn I programming language? How long does it usually take to fully learn a programming language? So hopefully I will answer some of those questions in this post. I've also made an Update to this post and will be talking about great game engines and sites to learn about programming for games.

Q & A
So, lets start off by answering two of those three pesky questions that I used to ask and that I have been asked...The third question will be answered after.

Q. How do I learn a programming language?
A. You can learn a programming language if your in a university, at home off many websites....some of which I will talk about in this post, and of course if your not old enough to get into a university, there are always some schools or computer science camps for kids 13-and up , but that usually costs money so the best option is usually just learning off the Internet.

Q. How long does it usually take to learn a programming language.
A. This was a question that I once asked...although it didn't seem like a totally upsurd question, it indeed was. As said by a wise programmer and grammar checker named Epic?. He basically said that no matter how much you learn of something it can not be fully understood. There's is no way to fully learn a programming language because there are always new problems to encounter.

Websites for Learning Programming
Now for some really good learning websites...Hope this answers the question of, " Where do I learn computer programming? ".
I will list what some of the sites cost or if they are free.

C Programming
This web site is wonderful and free. It teaches a lot about programming in C and C++. It's a really wonderful website and I recommend everyone who wants to learn C and C++ to go onto this website. Link is You must login or register to view this content..

CodeAcadamy: Free. Link is You must login or register to view this content.
I've just skimmed around on this website, but it looks like it teaches great fundamentals on languages like HTML and JAVASCRIPT. (WebDevelopment)

LandofCode: Free. Here's the link You must login or register to view this content.

This website also teaches web development and has forums where you can discuss problems with your code or just post some things you've worked on like NGU.

Learn Programming Online: free. Here's the link You must login or register to view this content.

W3Sschools Web Tutorials: This was recommended by Sublimity and seems to be the best site ive seen on (web) programming that ive seen so far...(I was originally going to post this site, but got side trackedSmile) Thank you Sublimity! Link You must login or register to view this content.

Its free from what ive seen and it has a wide range of programming languages you can learn from.

Game Engines and Game Programming
Now for the game development!Smile
When I started learning programming last year I chose to learn programming for game development because I thought it would be a fun process in order for me to learn programming languages.
Some useful game engines: All free unless it has a pro version that you could buy if you wanted to.

Unity3d: I prefer this one the most. Its a really good game engine and very easy to use. It uses boo, lua, Uniscript, and C#. The Uniscript language is like javascript, but its a language used for the Unity engine. Uniscript is only used in the Unity engine, but can give you a little knowledge of javascript, since in some ways it is like javascript. Link: You must login or register to view this content.

There have been some problems with the newer version of Unity 3d 3.51, so if you do decide to get Unity 3d and would like the 3.42 stable version just send an email to [email][email protected][/email] and I will post a link online on a media download sharing site.

Another one of my favorites is CRYENGINE: Cryengine is very great especially when it comes to graphics. I believe it uses boo, lua C#, and C++.
link: You must login or register to view this content.

There are also other engines such as ORGE and blender game engine, which is a 3d modeling software that can be used as a game engine also, but since this post is becoming very very long I wont post much more unless I necessarily need to.

If there is anything I missed, suggestions for sites or game engines I should post on here just tell me. Also please respond and tell me whether you thought this was useful or a complete waste of time. Thank you NGU and please try to keep the programming section alive. I feel its becoming dead and hardly anyone does anything on it.:(
Last edited by caleb01 ; 06-23-2012 at 05:30 AM.

The following user thanked caleb01 for this useful post:

Pichu
04-23-2012, 03:31 AM #2
Pichu
RIP PICHU.
Really well thought out and organized.

Might I also suggest for learning more about web development, try You must login or register to view this content.

The following user thanked Pichu for this useful post:

caleb01
04-23-2012, 01:59 PM #3
Originally posted by Sublimity View Post
Really well thought out and organized.

Might I also suggest for learning more about web development, try You must login or register to view this content.

Agree'd with Sub, W3Schools must be an option in your postHappy
04-23-2012, 08:27 PM #4
caleb01
Little One
Thanks! Glad some one actually checked this post outHappy I was about to ask a mod to take it down because of how no one was really giving there opinions on it or finding it helpful. Hows your website coming along....saw the new look you gave to it just yesterday. Looks like youve made great progress with itSmile.
04-23-2012, 11:00 PM #5
Pichu
RIP PICHU.
Originally posted by caleb01 View Post
Thanks! Glad some one actually checked this post outHappy I was about to ask a mod to take it down because of how no one was really giving there opinions on it or finding it helpful. Hows your website coming along....saw the new look you gave to it just yesterday. Looks like youve made great progress with itSmile.

I haven't updated it in about a week, I added a new forum, Mybb. I am installing plugins/themes right now so it looks good and is fully functional. I'm about 10% through the installing but I have them all downloaded.

I'm now learning HTML5 since I now know Javascript/CSS/XHTML. I'm actually going to use Wordpress for the main site and mybb for the forum for now.

I will continue learning web design so I can then make modifications properly while knowing what it is I am looking at and am dealing with.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo