12-29-2014, 11:18 PM #1
ItsAvees
Bounty hunter
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Ideas For Programs

Hi Guys. So any programmer probably knows the feeling of not knowing what to code and recently I've been feeling like that a lot. So I thought I'd make a thread where people can post ideas on things us programmers can code.

I'll Keep the list updated as much as possible.

List :

12-30-2014, 01:05 AM #2
jagex
Gym leader
Search for all files on your PC that matches the keyword given and then display them alphabetically

Also add option to not search for specific file types (.exe, .pdf, .bat, .bin) etc..

With a progress bar and amount of time left it will take
Last edited by jagex ; 12-30-2014 at 01:21 AM.
01-02-2015, 08:15 AM #3
I-am-L
Haxor!
there shouldn't be a reason not to program(if you're a programmer), you do it, just because you're passionate about it. not because you're trying to build something someone else made. make stuff that interests you and you will become a lot better coder.
01-03-2015, 03:21 AM #4
Pichu
RIP PICHU.
Originally posted by jagex View Post
Search for all files on your PC that matches the keyword given and then display them alphabetically

Also add option to not search for specific file types (.exe, .pdf, .bat, .bin) etc..

Just using System.IO then start on C: and then have it search for all child directories. Once you've looped through every directory, use File to read all file names within all the directories.

Very easy, just requires looping.

A progress bar would be made after you've found every directory, then you'll just be taking the total searched w/ the total on the computer.

EG. 1 / 100 directories = 1%
5 / 100 directories = 5%

6 / 333 = 1.8%
01-03-2015, 10:03 AM #5
Binary / Octal / Hex converter - That's a nice easy simple project, I made one a while back because I was bored
rock, paper scissors game
higher and lower game

I had an image that had around 100 little project ideas that you could do, can't find it right now though. If I find it I'll post it.
01-03-2015, 11:55 AM #6
Cyb3r
NextGenUpdate Elite

Originally posted by EYE
I wouldnt mind a program that finds a certain file format or a certain type of file.

If i need to find dump files etc

or even key files than virus's leave on machine.

That i wouldnt mind ^^

Make it happen Needa

There's tons of pre-made apps to do that job, i personally use You must login or register to view this content..
01-04-2015, 01:45 AM #7
jagex
Gym leader
Originally posted by Pichu View Post
Just using System.IO then start on C: and then have it search for all child directories. Once you've looped through every directory, use File to read all file names within all the directories.

Very easy, just requires looping.

A progress bar would be made after you've found every directory, then you'll just be taking the total searched w/ the total on the computer.

EG. 1 / 100 directories = 1%
5 / 100 directories = 5%

6 / 333 = 1.8%

Wouldn't it be easier just to run the search in the background and then update the progressbar with ProgressChangedEvent. Im a try making one, thanks.
Last edited by jagex ; 01-04-2015 at 01:48 AM.
01-09-2015, 11:38 PM #8
ItsAvees
Bounty hunter
Wouldn't it be easier just to run the search in the background and then update the progressbar with ProgressChangedEvent. Im a try making one, thanks.

Wrote this quickly, my little way of doing it. (Makes the program lag but gets the job done)

public int counter = 0;
public int perc = 0;

private List<String> DirSearch(string Direcc)
{
List<String> files = new List<String>();
try
{
foreach (string fls in Directory.GetFiles(Direcc))
{
files.Add(fls);
if (fls.Contains(extensionTXT.Text))
{
listBox1.Items.Add(fls);
}
}
foreach (string d in Directory.GetDirectories(Direcc))
{
files.AddRange(DirSearch(dls));
counter += 1;
perc = counter / 100;
progressBar1.Value = perc;

}
}
catch (System.Exception excpt)
{
MessageBox.Show(excpt.Message);
}

return files;
}
Last edited by ItsAvees ; 01-09-2015 at 11:41 PM.
01-10-2015, 06:04 AM #9
jagex
Gym leader
Originally posted by ItsAvees View Post
Wrote this quickly, my little way of doing it. (Makes the program lag but gets the job done)

Well to fix your "lagg" which im guessing is the GUI locking/freezing, put the foreach loops in a backgroundworker. To update the progress bar report the progress after each iteration.

Example:

foreach (string d in Directory.GetDirectories(Direcc))
{
files.AddRange(DirSearch(dls));
counter += 1;
perc = counter / 100;
bg.ReportProgress(perc)

}

private void BgProgressChanged(object sender, ProgressChangedEventArgs e)
{
progressbar1.value = e.value;
}

Idk if this would work but maybe you want to test it out, progressBar1.value = d.count() / 100? You wouldn't need the two variables then.
Last edited by jagex ; 01-10-2015 at 06:08 AM.
01-21-2015, 03:45 PM #10
Winter
Purple God
Originally posted by L View Post
there shouldn't be a reason not to program(if you're a programmer), you do it, just because you're passionate about it. not because you're trying to build something someone else made. make stuff that interests you and you will become a lot better coder.

I need suggestions, I'm bored. tears

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo