01-06-2016, 09:40 PM #1
Specter
Pro Memer
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Note: Sorry about the lateness, I'd stated that I would post these results on New Years Eve and I ended up getting caught up in some stuff including family, so I apologize for the lateness.

You must login or register to view this content.

Introduction: We are now in 2016! And that means the December Programming Competition has come to a close. For a first run, it went pretty well (we had around 5 submissions including PM), however I expected it to be a little low as it's a first and the theme was a little challenging. I am planning on continuing this competition in the programming section every few months or so, so keep a look out =D

Overview: The few submissions we had were pretty interesting, especially Laim's Christmas countdown in VB.NET, Passion's web Christmas countdown and Pro's mini-game in Java. I look forward to future competitions in a few months.

Winner and Summaries: The winner of the programming competition this month is Pro! Congratulations, I will contact you about your month of elite shortly as well as your 2k rep. You went above and beyond, your mini-game (which by the way was not only interesting but fun to play with) that was written in Java was well written and had good organization, you didn't cram everything into one file, your code was neat, and the layout was impressive. Not only that but you'd also made a mobile version of the game for Android (.apk) which is very impressive, nice work.

Here are a few comments for the winner as well as runner-ups, compliments and critique.

Pro, I pretty much summarized your compliments in the paragraph above however I'm going to give you a few suggestions as well. I noticed if you move your character off the screen it doesn't come back, one cool way you could fix this and even make it better is make a boundary check to check if the player's X coordinate reaches the edge of the window and if so allows the player to "jump" to the other side.

Submissions:
Game Jar Download: You must login or register to view this content.
APK: You must login or register to view this content.

MEGALELZ, I liked the way your code was structured, everything neat and indented, and your variable names and control flow was well done, you also documented the program fairly well with comments for those who might need help understanding the program. I also liked how you made a little web page for it for those who wished to download it at any time, very cool. The only suggestion I have is make it work for upcoming years as well, as currently (after Christmas) it shows the days past since Christmas rather than the amount of days until next year's Christmas, other than that good job!

Submission:
Download: You must login or register to view this content.
Download Assets (Not Required): You must login or register to view this content.
Download SC: (VB.NET): You must login or register to view this content.

Passion, your website was interesting and the countdown functioned (though the snow wouldn't fall, maybe it's a browser incompatibility), a suggestion I'd make is I noticed after Christmas it will do "Christmas is in -[x] days!", I'd suggest the same as I did to Laim and attempt to make it function for the previous years afterwards, for example today it says "-12" days, it'd be cool if it cycled around for the next year and said "353 days" or something similar. I'd also suggest maybe working on the website a little to make it more stylish, but an interesting submission none-the-less, good job.

Submission: URL: You must login or register to view this content.

Conclusion: As I said, there weren't too many submissions due to this being a first-run and the theme was difficult and challenging, however there will be more competitions coming every few months to this section so keep your eyes out. For future reference I am planning on keeping the "no modding tool" restriction on most if not all future competitions as it adds some variety (there's many, many mod tools and such already). Congratulations to Pro, and thanks to all participants for taking part in the competition, and (although it's a little late), welcome to 2016.
Last edited by Specter ; 01-06-2016 at 09:53 PM.

The following 5 users say thank you to Specter for this useful post:

Hammy, Kam, Rath, Swaqq,
01-07-2016, 01:05 PM #11
Devious
Treasure hunter
Ohhh sayy can youuuu seeee by the dawn early night !
01-07-2016, 02:57 PM #12
mkpred
Haxor!
Congratulations to the winners! Smile

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo