03-03-2016, 12:00 AM #1
Specter
Pro Memer
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); The competition is officially closed, however if you have a late submission you MAY submit it by April 4th at the latest.

I have received submissions from the following;

• Beach
  • Joren
  • HackedTutorials

Note: The PDF link has been restored, another important note is the answer to P3 (Car Vectors) example is not 462 but rather 544, sorry for the miscalculation.

You must login or register to view this content.

Introduction: Welcome back to another programming competition, in 2016! We ran through this in December of 2015 and it worked out pretty well, there was some feedback and I have taken it into consideration for this as well as future competitions. There will be prizes for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd this month, which you will find the details for below. There is also no theme this month, unlike December it is not a "create a program and submit" style competition but rather one with specific problems that need to be solved, 2 will be a bit easier and the rest more difficult. If you cannot complete all of them that's fine, even if you don't win, these types of questions get you thinking and force you to problem solve, so even if you're fairly new to programming or don't expect to win, I'd still give at least one or two of them a go.

Overview: In this competition you will find two moderate questions (labelled "Moderate Difficulty"), and three advanced questions (labelled "Advanced Difficulty"), making for a total of 5 questions. Placement will be determined via a few factors, one being how many questions were completed, the difficulty, and an analysis of the code (is it documented? do variables and method names make sense? is it efficient and clean?), kryptus, tustin, as well as myself will be judging the competition.

Restrictions: You must be permitting to send the files to me in a PM as I will need to be able to assess it, due to this being a fixed-problem based competition, please do not share code/answers, you are free to discuss and even post some tips or point people in the right direction, but do not share code or full solutions. You can post screenshots of your progress if you wish. Any posts containing what I deem to be more than just a hint or pointer, will be edited or removed.

You must also name the projects by their project code (provided in the PDF of problems), this is to make going through them easier for the judges for assessment. Also keep your projects organized, if you're using Java just name the project by the project code and add the project folder to the zip along with your other problems you have completed, if you're using C++ for example, keep the folder name as the project code and have your main.cpp and executable in easy to find directories (aka don't make a bunch of redundant folders). These will all take input from either keyboard or via a file, if the input is to be read from a file please make the filename the project code.in, for example if the project code was "p1", the input file should be named "p1.in".

The project folders as well as input files should be the only things with an unclear name, and this is merely for easier assessment, variable names and method names as above should be clear, usually you'd want the project name and files named well as well but again, this is for assessment purposes.

End Date: This competition will run from March 1st until March 31st. At this point the thread will be closed and the entries evaluated. The results will be posted sometime in the beginning of April (not a set date).

Evaluation: This time I have actually taken time to make an evaluation page so you know the exact criteria and "grading" system if you will, and the judges will use this when evaluating your submission, these will also be posted in the results for everyone hopefully, this way everyone can get feedback, so even if you don't place in the top 3, you'll be able to get some feedback which is always good as a programmer. (I forgot to include the overall score in the picture, in the example case, it's 175/200 or 87.5%. Also the comments are bland and generic, these will be better in the actual results).

Prizes: Prizes will be awarded to the top three competitors, the prizes will be the following;

1st place: $20 prepaid visa/mastercard + 2k rep
2nd place: $10 paypal + 1k rep
3rd place: $5 paypal + 500 rep

DO NOT PLAGIARIZE. Any plagiarism will result in the plagiarizer to be excluded from the competition, and possibly even excluded from future competitions. Do not leech, create your own material, and take pride in what you do.

Please do not submit your solutions until you are sure you are finished, if you submit early and need to make a change you can, but it'll be annoying to sort through them and you'll possibly have to be contacted on which one you want to use, so if you can please just submit once, it will make it a bit nicer for kryptus, tustin, and myself. Good luck, and have fun!

If you're ready to get started, go ahead and check out the You must login or register to view this content. (I made a PDF to make this thread shorter, it looks nice and beautiful too).
Last edited by Specter ; 04-01-2016 at 04:06 AM.

The following 18 users say thank you to Specter for this useful post:

BaSs_HaXoR, edub, Frosty, GFM, iAmChump, ImPiffHD, Jim Halpert, Joren, Kam, Kryptus, RTE, Kronos, Sloth, Jon Snow, tyman1294, UnknownKiller
03-03-2016, 12:09 AM #2
Good luck to everyone Happy
03-03-2016, 01:38 AM #3
Hydrogen
Super Mod
Originally posted by Specter View Post

Introduction: Welcome back to another programming competition, in 2016! We ran through this in December of 2015 and it worked out pretty well, there was some feedback and I have taken it into consideration for this as well as future competitions. There will be prizes for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd this month, which you will find the details for below. There is also no theme this month, unlike December it is not a "create a program and submit" style competition but rather one with specific problems that need to be solved, 2 will be a bit easier and the rest more difficult. If you cannot complete all of them that's fine, even if you don't win, these types of questions get you thinking and force you to problem solve, so even if you're fairly new to programming or don't expect to win, I'd still give at least one or two of them a go.

Overview: In this competition you will find two moderate questions (labelled "Moderate Difficulty"), and three advanced questions (labelled "Advanced Difficulty"), making for a total of 5 questions. Placement will be determined via a few factors, one being how many questions were completed, the difficulty, and an analysis of the code (is it documented? do variables and method names make sense? is it efficient and clean?), kryptus, tustin, as well as myself will be judging the competition.

Restrictions: You must be permitting to send the files to me in a PM as I will need to be able to assess it, due to this being a fixed-problem based competition, please do not share code/answers, you are free to discuss and even post some tips or point people in the right direction, but do not share code or full solutions. You can post screenshots of your progress if you wish. Any posts containing what I deem to be more than just a hint or pointer, will be edited or removed.

You must also name the projects by their project code (provided in the PDF of problems), this is to make going through them easier for the judges for assessment. Also keep your projects organized, if you're using Java just name the project by the project code and add the project folder to the zip along with your other problems you have completed, if you're using C++ for example, keep the folder name as the project code and have your main.cpp and executable in easy to find directories (aka don't make a bunch of redundant folders). These will all take input from either keyboard or via a file, if the input is to be read from a file please make the filename the project code.in, for example if the project code was "p1", the input file should be named "p1.in".

The project folders as well as input files should be the only things with an unclear name, and this is merely for easier assessment, variable names and method names as above should be clear, usually you'd want the project name and files named well as well but again, this is for assessment purposes.

End Date: This competition will run from March 1st until March 31st. At this point the thread will be closed and the entries evaluated. The results will be posted sometime in the beginning of April (not a set date).

Evaluation: This time I have actually taken time to make an evaluation page so you know the exact criteria and "grading" system if you will, and the judges will use this when evaluating your submission, these will also be posted in the results for everyone hopefully, this way everyone can get feedback, so even if you don't place in the top 3, you'll be able to get some feedback which is always good as a programmer. (I forgot to include the overall score in the picture, in the example case, it's 175/200 or 87.5%. Also the comments are bland and generic, these will be better in the actual results).

Prizes: Prizes will be awarded to the top three competitors, the prizes will be the following;

1st place: $20 prepaid visa/mastercard + 2k rep
2nd place: $10 paypal + 1k rep
3rd place: $5 paypal + 500 rep

DO NOT PLAGIARIZE. Any plagiarism will result in the plagiarizer to be excluded from the competition, and possibly even excluded from future competitions. Do not leech, create your own material, and take pride in what you do.

Please do not submit your solutions until you are sure you are finished, if you submit early and need to make a change you can, but it'll be annoying to sort through them and you'll possibly have to be contacted on which one you want to use, so if you can please just submit once, it will make it a bit nicer for kryptus, tustin, and myself. Good luck, and have fun!

If you're ready to get started, go ahead and check out the You must login or register to view this content. (I made a PDF to make this thread shorter, it looks nice and beautiful too).

Seems like fun for all the programmers out there! Too bad i'm barely beginning HTML & CSS since last year Sal Good luck to everyone though :p!
03-03-2016, 02:27 PM #4
Merkii
Former Staff
MATLAB/Freemat allowed or only java and c++?

The following user thanked Merkii for this useful post:

Python
03-03-2016, 04:22 PM #5
zshred
[move]{420}[/move]
I'm really enjoying these competitions! I want to start coding soon!
03-03-2016, 08:21 PM #6
Default Avatar
Bch
Submitted my submission Kappa, didn't finish all the questions though Sal

The following user thanked Bch for this useful post:

Specter
03-03-2016, 11:28 PM #7
Toke
PC Master Race
Originally posted by Merkii View Post

dont push it the kiddies here cant code m8
03-04-2016, 01:19 AM #8
Specter
Pro Memer
Originally posted by Merkii View Post

You can use FreeMat if you wish, I gave Java/C++ as an example but you can use anything really. MATLAB if I'm not mistaken costs money so it'd be difficult to evaluate, I haven't used either of those types of languages as I'm not that advanced in mathematics to be able to use it, but as long as it can be evaluated and is written in a way it can be understood then go for it =D
03-04-2016, 05:58 AM #9
Midnight.eGo
from El Paso, Texas (915)
What program do you guys use to program??
03-04-2016, 06:05 AM #10
mack32
Hurah!
This looks fun to do I wish I could participate, but I'm too busy. Good luck to everyone competing.

The following user thanked mack32 for this useful post:

Specter

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo