09-12-2018, 01:13 AM #1
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); I'm looking to buy this used MacBook Pro 15in bought in May 2018 for 2950$ CAD (2256$ US) and was wondering if it was a good price (for an apple product)?
Also, I'm a bit scared to buy this machine because of its unupgradability. I don't know how it will stand the test of time. With my 2010 MacBook Pro, 6 year later i bought it, I doubled the ram and installed an SSD and the computer was brand new! But... I Know I will not be able to this with this one and it kind of bothers me.
What do you think? Any tips would be very welcome!

Specs:

Intel Core I7 2.9 GHz
16 Gb of 2133 MHz of LPDDR3 SDRAM
1 Tb SSD
Radeon Pro 460 with 4 Gb of GDDR5 memory
Intel HD Graphics 530

What I'll be doing with that expensive shit:
Professional Graphic Designer (Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effect, Sketch)
Web programing
Last edited by Xavier G. ; 09-12-2018 at 01:28 AM.
09-13-2018, 12:42 AM #2
Originally posted by Xavier
I'm looking to buy this used MacBook Pro 15in bought in May 2018 for 2950$ CAD (2256$ US) and was wondering if it was a good price (for an apple product)?
Also, I'm a bit scared to buy this machine because of its unupgradability. I don't know how it will stand the test of time. With my 2010 MacBook Pro, 6 year later i bought it, I doubled the ram and installed an SSD and the computer was brand new! But... I Know I will not be able to this with this one and it kind of bothers me.
What do you think? Any tips would be very welcome!

Specs:

Intel Core I7 2.9 GHz
16 Gb of 2133 MHz of LPDDR3 SDRAM
1 Tb SSD
Radeon Pro 460 with 4 Gb of GDDR5 memory
Intel HD Graphics 530

What I'll be doing with that expensive shit:
Professional Graphic Designer (Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effect, Sketch)
Web programing

My personal opinion on Apple computers is that you buy them so you don't have to upgrade them. Bought a MacBook Air (mid-2013) and it's flawless. If you want something upgradeable build a PC/laptop. If not, buy a Mac. Or you can build a hackintosh as well.
09-13-2018, 01:47 PM #3
The Intel HD Graphics seems dissapointing but its your choice
09-27-2018, 01:06 PM #4
1UP
Banned
Originally posted by Voltron181 View Post
My personal opinion on Apple computers is that you buy them so you don't have to upgrade them. Bought a MacBook Air (mid-2013) and it's flawless. If you want something upgradeable build a PC/laptop. If not, buy a Mac. Or you can build a hackintosh as well.

That makes no sense at all. It's not going to be forever great.

The following user thanked 1UP for this useful post:

SQUID-EYE
10-02-2018, 02:57 PM #5
JB
[i]Remember, no Russian.[/i]
Originally posted by 1UP View Post
That makes no sense at all. It's not going to be forever great.

Point being it pays for itself over the length of time you own it. By the time you come to replace it, you'll have easily covered the cost of it + a new machine.

The following user thanked JB for this useful post:

UnboundGodz
10-06-2018, 08:57 AM #6
UnboundGodz
Bounty hunter
Personally I would suggest you build a custom desktop or invest into a top of the line workstation/gaming laptop. Reason I suggest this is your paying mainly for the name/brand instead of high end hardware. Although it looks amazing, great, and sleek. You could get more out of a Windows PC as both appear to have limitations, Mac is abit more limited application wise, IMO. As for that specific MacBook Pro, id say no the only thing about it thats appealing to spend abit on is the SSD which can be bought for as little as $100-150. Up to you, just giving you my TwoCents. Your better off investing into a custom desktop for the workstation like work you plan to do, easily affordable, maybe even cheaper for better performance. Winky Winky
10-11-2018, 07:13 PM #7
1UP
Banned
Originally posted by JB View Post
Point being it pays for itself over the length of time you own it. By the time you come to replace it, you'll have easily covered the cost of it + a new machine.

So you just described buying almost anything that isn't from the bargain bin. The problem I had with his post is that he is talking about 2 things. 1 being hardware and the other thinking the OS itself is what is going to increase the price.

That would be like me saying go buy a 2600k because I've had mine for 7 years and it works gud.
10-12-2018, 09:23 AM #8
JB
[i]Remember, no Russian.[/i]
Originally posted by UnboundGodz View Post
Personally I would suggest you build a custom desktop or invest into a top of the line workstation/gaming laptop. Reason I suggest this is your paying mainly for the name/brand instead of high end hardware. Although it looks amazing, great, and sleek. You could get more out of a Windows PC as both appear to have limitations, Mac is abit more limited application wise, IMO. As for that specific MacBook Pro, id say no the only thing about it thats appealing to spend abit on is the SSD which can be bought for as little as $100-150. Up to you, just giving you my TwoCents. Your better off investing into a custom desktop for the workstation like work you plan to do, easily affordable, maybe even cheaper for better performance. Winky Winky

..what?

1. Saying you can get more out of a Windows PC is a moot point. Have you ever tried compiling an iOS app on Windows? Also, considering you can install Windows on a Mac, but not vice versa (at least not officially), and also considering that you can also run a good majority of Windows applications in Wine/etc, I'd say the opposite is true. Windows is more limiting in that respect.
  2. Have you ever tried doing the work he wants to do on a Macbook? It is, no lie, a million times easier. I work on one, and would not trade it for Windows in a million years.
  3. "your paying mainly for the name/brand instead of high end hardware" have you ever even tried using a Mac? Wait, no, you can't have, otherwise you'd know it's high end hardware. Not denying that you're not also paying for the brand, but to say it's not high end equipment is retarded. You realise Samsung sells laptops of very similar spec and price to Macbooks, right? You buy the name no matter what "high end" brand you go for - in my experience Alienware is a million times worse than Apple for that.

For the work he wants to do, he'd probably be much better off with a Mac. There's a reason thousands of professionals use Mac to do their work on.

Originally posted by 1UP View Post
So you just described buying almost anything that isn't from the bargain bin. The problem I had with his post is that he is talking about 2 things. 1 being hardware and the other thinking the OS itself is what is going to increase the price.

That would be like me saying go buy a 2600k because I've had mine for 7 years and it works gud.

I can't see anywhere about any talk of the OS, only hardware upgrades. Apple hardware upgrades are just cancer in general, to the point that newer machines won't work unless done by an authorised repair centre.

The following user thanked JB for this useful post:

SQUID-EYE
10-26-2018, 07:45 PM #9
1UP
Banned
Originally posted by JB View Post
..what?

1. Saying you can get more out of a Windows PC is a moot point. Have you ever tried compiling an iOS app on Windows? Also, considering you can install Windows on a Mac, but not vice versa (at least not officially), and also considering that you can also run a good majority of Windows applications in Wine/etc, I'd say the opposite is true. Windows is more limiting in that respect.
  2. Have you ever tried doing the work he wants to do on a Macbook? It is, no lie, a million times easier. I work on one, and would not trade it for Windows in a million years.
  3. "your paying mainly for the name/brand instead of high end hardware" have you ever even tried using a Mac? Wait, no, you can't have, otherwise you'd know it's high end hardware. Not denying that you're not also paying for the brand, but to say it's not high end equipment is retarded. You realise Samsung sells laptops of very similar spec and price to Macbooks, right? You buy the name no matter what "high end" brand you go for - in my experience Alienware is a million times worse than Apple for that.

For the work he wants to do, he'd probably be much better off with a Mac. There's a reason thousands of professionals use Mac to do their work on.

I can't see anywhere about any talk of the OS, only hardware upgrades. Apple hardware upgrades are just cancer in general, to the point that newer machines won't work unless done by an authorised repair centre.

He was bringing up a hackintosh, which is 100% about the OS
07-27-2020, 02:33 PM #10
In it something is. It is grateful to you for the help in this question. I did not know it.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo