12-18-2014, 02:04 PM #1
bevy300
Little One
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Hi everyone,
I'm new to overclocking and was wondering how to overclock my GTX 860m in my laptop. I have a Lenovo Y50.

Here is a spec list
Windows 8.1 64bit.
GTX 860m 4gb
16gb ram
intel i7 4710HQ 2.5 ghz

Some help on this would be great.
12-18-2014, 04:17 PM #2
Toke
PC Master Race
You normally dont want to overclock a laptop, that's more of a custom desktop thing due to aftermarket cooling solutions and more open motherboard chipsets and graphics card overclocks dont do much cpu is what really gives a jump in fps most of the time
12-18-2014, 05:21 PM #3
Dan
I'm a god.
If you don't know how, I wouldn't recommend it. Plus, as Toke said, a laptop isn't normally OC'd.
12-18-2014, 11:53 PM #4
You could use a program like MSI After Burner, or EVGA Precision X.
I don't personally overclock anything, not even on my desktop rig. But I certainly wouldn't overclock a laptop, even if it is a 'gaming laptop'. Although the hardware is a lot more powerful than most run of the mill £250 laptops, the cooling simply can't match the performance of that of a desktop system, purely due to the form factor (which for the record is really fucking small.)

Also, I doubt you'd really notice all that much of a difference in performance. Because even if you did decide to OC, I would only push the clock up by a few megahertz, anything more than that and it will either crash the system, due to lack of power, or it will eventually over heat.

To go in to a little more depth, the coolers in performance laptops are rigorously tested to find the absolutely maximum temperature when the CPU & GPU are under 100% load. Whilst there's nothing to say that the cooler couldn't handle a little more heat, there's also nothing to say that it could, as the coolers are *only* tested to find their optimum temperatures whilst the chips are running at the their stock clocks. Hence why almost all manufactures warranty's don't support overclocking.

Hope this helped you out a little.
12-31-2014, 12:14 AM #5
i would say afterburner but i would not do to much on a lappy due to the amount of excess heat it going to generate.
12-31-2014, 12:31 AM #6
ResistTheSun
In Flames Much?
Originally posted by bevy300 View Post
Hi everyone,
I'm new to overclocking and was wondering how to overclock my GTX 860m in my laptop. I have a Lenovo Y50.

Here is a spec list
Windows 8.1 64bit.
GTX 860m 4gb
16gb ram
intel i7 4710HQ 2.5 ghz

Some help on this would be great.

Depends on the CPU/Mobo
I would not overclock a CPU in a laptop due to the cooling problems it can create.
01-02-2015, 02:52 AM #7
Overclocking a laptop is probably not the best idea due to the fact it will run hotter and there isn't really a way to improve the cooling as such like you would be able to do with a desktop. I personally wouldn't do it but if you really want to go ahead.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo