07-29-2015, 06:34 AM #1
Tustin
Balls of Steel
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Alright guys, school is starting up here soon and I'd like to get a smaller sized laptop for class. I've never owned a laptop and quite frankly don't like them but it would be incredibly useful to have one.

I've been looking around and the HP Stream's have peaked my interest but the screen resolution looks like dog shit, but I guess that's expected for the price of only ~$200.

I'm just looking for something that can do basic word processing, web browsing, videos and of course, programming. I'd like to avoid a chrome book because there are a lot of programs I need/use daily. Again, I don't really want a big laptop, so anywhere between 11 and 13-14 inches is ideal. I don't plan to do any gaming so just something basic with just a small SSD is fine.

But if you do own either a HP Stream 11 or 13, please lemme know how you like it because I think I might just settle with one of those anyways.

Thanks guys!
07-29-2015, 06:48 AM #2
Toke
PC Master Race
Originally posted by Tustin View Post
Alright guys, school is starting up here soon and I'd like to get a smaller sized laptop for class. I've never owned a laptop and quite frankly don't like them but it would be incredibly useful to have one.

I've been looking around and the HP Stream's have peaked my interest but the screen resolution looks like dog shit, but I guess that's expected for the price of only ~$200.

I'm just looking for something that can do basic word processing, web browsing, videos and of course, programming. I'd like to avoid a chrome book because there are a lot of programs I need/use daily. Again, I don't really want a big laptop, so anywhere between 11 and 13-14 inches is ideal. I don't plan to do any gaming so just something basic with just a small SSD is fine.

But if you do own either a HP Stream 11 or 13, please lemme know how you like it because I think I might just settle with one of those anyways.

Thanks guys!

honestly the hp stream is just poop for programs and stuff, it also would help if you told us what programs you use? and are u willing to go used cus $200 aint much, a chromebook with ubuntu is really the best at that end of the market unless u get a dual boot chinese tablet with 8 and android 4.0
07-29-2015, 09:21 AM #3
what about asus zenbooks??
07-29-2015, 01:55 PM #4
a bit over the price you said but might help You must login or register to view this content. :p
then u got stuff like this You must login or register to view this content.
You must login or register to view this content.
Last edited by ☓-Dani-☓ ; 07-29-2015 at 01:58 PM.

The following user thanked ☓-Dani-☓ for this useful post:

Tustin
07-29-2015, 03:40 PM #5
Tustin
Balls of Steel
Originally posted by Tolkien View Post
honestly the hp stream is just poop for programs and stuff, it also would help if you told us what programs you use? and are u willing to go used cus $200 aint much, a chromebook with ubuntu is really the best at that end of the market unless u get a dual boot chinese tablet with 8 and android 4.0

Sorry for not mentioning but price is no issue. For programs, Skype, Visual Studio and a few other programming IDEs is about it. Nothing too extreme there. I was mainly shooting for the lowest ones because well, it's the cheapest and I don't need something crazy in the first place.

The other main issue I saw was there only being 2GB of RAM which is understandable in a small laptop I suppose but it just doesn't seem ideal.
07-29-2015, 03:44 PM #6
Tustin
Balls of Steel
Originally posted by 9747
a bit over the price you said but might help You must login or register to view this content. :p
then u got stuff like this You must login or register to view this content.

Thanks for the links. The ASUS basically looks like a dumbed down Stream which isn't exactly great with it only $30 or so cheaper. Apple is out of the question because even though I like the OS, no way am I spending $1000 on a laptop when I can just build a nice desktop AND get the Stream or ASUS for about the same price.
07-29-2015, 04:40 PM #7
Toke
PC Master Race
Originally posted by Tustin View Post
Thanks for the links. The ASUS basically looks like a dumbed down Stream which isn't exactly great with it only $30 or so cheaper. Apple is out of the question because even though I like the OS, no way am I spending $1000 on a laptop when I can just build a nice desktop AND get the Stream or ASUS for about the same price.

i mean if you had more to spend i'd suggest a referbished macbook air u can get them directly from apple for like $700 and get student discounts. the macbooks are the best in the market at being small fast and portable even if they are just glued together plastic and aluminum foil. i'd suggest a microsoft surface also. i think you should look to spend more if you really want somthing nice that will last a little while

The following user thanked Toke for this useful post:

Tustin

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo