09-30-2016, 07:13 PM #1
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); This is quite random but, does anyone feel like Ubuntu's software repo's are just all over the place? I feel Arch has gotten things down a lot better in that area with the AUR. If you guys use Linux, what do you use? I used to use Linux Mint for a while but, after doing research into Arch Linux I feel I might migrate over to it.
09-30-2016, 07:44 PM #2
Alt
Banned
MacOS >

The following user thanked Alt for this useful post:

Hydrogen
09-30-2016, 09:29 PM #3
Kronos
Former Staff
Depends what you use it for doesn't it?
09-30-2016, 09:51 PM #4
I guess. I dunno. Just seems like Canonical has made it so messy over the years. I'll admit that for new users, Ubuntu seems to be the first os people flock to.
09-30-2016, 09:52 PM #5
Also, I've used MacOS before. Unfortunately I've never owned a device that had it. It was always school based stuffs.
09-30-2016, 11:41 PM #6
Hydrogen
Super Mod
Originally posted by iCoExist View Post
This is quite random but, does anyone feel like Ubuntu's software repo's are just all over the place? I feel Arch has gotten things down a lot better in that area with the AUR. If you guys use Linux, what do you use? I used to use Linux Mint for a while but, after doing research into Arch Linux I feel I might migrate over to it.

Why I choose Ubuntu more:

- The lack of KISS principle, inheriting most of the useful tools from Debian.
- It's a subtractive distro.
- PPA's are not centralized

Pretty sure, everyone has their own opinion, but between these two. I would go with Ubuntu. Mainly because I am very famiiar with it. I hardly use Arch, it's just not my type.
09-30-2016, 11:47 PM #7
Originally posted by Hydrogen View Post
Why I choose Ubuntu more:

- The lack of KISS principle, inheriting most of the useful tools from Debian.
- It's a subtractive distro.
- PPA's are not centralized

Pretty sure, everyone has their own opinion, but between these two. I would go with Ubuntu. Mainly because I am very famiiar with it. I hardly use Arch, it's just not my type.

Same. I've been using Ubuntu for years. I've just seen all these people rant online regarding their repositories vs AUR. But after multiple instances of my mouse just vanishing in Arch, I'm about tired of it. What distribution do you use based on Ubuntu m8?
10-06-2016, 08:05 PM #8
I use Arch on both my desktop and laptop as I wanted a very high level of customisation and didn't want a distro that shipped with loads of shit out of the box, Arch was the only real choice in that respect. I also like the frequent updates and the AUR + Arch Wiki are both great and no other distro has anything else anywhere near as good as them. On another laptop I have that I use as a webserver I use Ubuntu Server as the OS. Arch is really only good if you want a high level of customisation + obscure software, if you require stability get another OS as the frequent updates will drive you crazy if you don't update much.
10-16-2016, 04:00 AM #9
Mr Smithy x
Former Staff
I've using arch for a year and some plus months, Manjaro is good as well as Apricity, i find it 10x better than ubuntu.
10-16-2016, 03:11 PM #10
Ubuntu ftw.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo