11-02-2016, 01:49 AM #1
Hydrogen
Super Mod
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});
You must login or register to view this content.

Introduction to Computer Networking

Introduction:

Hello NextGenUpdate, in this thread I will briefly teach you the beginning of Computer Networking. I find it interesting teaching you all the knowledge I gain from self-teaching myself on different topics when it comes to technology, or anything relating to the internet. You don't need any pre-requisites on this, but if you know a bit of Computer Science this could be a bit easier for you. I may not be the best at teaching this, but if you feel like I have made any mistakes, please, feel free to correct me! Hopefully, you all learn something out of this thread, and if it does seem to be such a hit. I'll attempt to continue on with the series on Computer Networking Part II. I know Specter had made a very detailed thread on a Introduction to Reverse Engineering for Elite Members only, but I feel like since I'm not an extreme expert at this. Everyone should have the chance to learn something new every day. I'm living up to Specter's fascinating guide on REVENG. This tutorial will be available for everyone to enjoy. Please don't share this tutorial out of NextGenUpdate unless I give you permission to do so. Let's get right into this, shall we?

Table of Contents

1. Introduction
    o Background Information

2. What is Computer Networking?
    o Understanding what this topic is going to be about.

3. What does a network contain?
    o What makes this network possible.

4. Types of Networks
    o Different types of networks understanding, and their use in our lives.

5. Categories of Networks
    o Peer-To-Peer & Client-Server

6. Server-Client Best Efficient Usage
    o How it makes it well of being used.

What is "Computer Networking"?

To start this lesson off, let's talk about the term Computer Networking. Computer Networking is two or more computers connected to each other. We do this every day of our lives, if not, then you have been living under a rock. If you don't know, ARPANET (Advanced Research Projects Agency Network) was the first ever network that actually linked two computers together, using TCP/IP (Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol). When both computers are connected, we can, of course, send things to each other such as files, links, and very important things. In addition, peripherals also join up as well. There are 3 different peripherals: Storage Devices, Input Devices, and Output Devices. When it comes to connecting yourself with other devices. Remember that you may also share modems, printers, CD-ROMS, and hard drives. If you tend to open yourself up in a big company in its network, take note that much of the data will be roaming around in it. So do make sure you stay safe from Cyber Hackers!

What does a network contain?

Networks contain four of the following which makes it up.

• Must have two or more computers connected with each other.
  • Computers must have a (NIC) Network Interface Card installed. A hardware that lets the computers to connect with each other.
  • Medium Connection through wires or cables. Wireless may also work.
  • A Network Operating System of your choice (Some may not work).

Types of Networks:

There used to be only two types of networks: LAN & WAN, but throughout the years we have created some more networks which do truly impact us until this day. Some aren't used that much, but I rather teach you most of them. There are a lot more networks we have used: DAN, MAN, CAN, PAN, LAN, WAN, Intranet, and VPN etc.. but lets go through the important ones first to get the hang of things.

LAN (Local Access Network) - Think of LAN as a little baby. It doesn't go that far if it doesn't have its mother nearby. We use LANs in our houses, rooms, or some buildings. This may not go way further then a building or so. LAN is just a short-distance network that is always being used in our generation.

WAN (Wide Area Networks) - By the name of it, you can already tell that this covers a wide amount of area of the network. WAN covers a huge geographical area. In order to get a WAN, we need multiple LANs to make a WAN. Routers have both WAN & LAN to send information to a certain location. The internet is the biggest WAN of all time, and is not owned by a single person/organization. Last, but not least, Frame Relay & ATM lets them communicate over long distances.

VPN (Virtual Private Networks) - Many of us tend to use "VPNs" to hide our Internet Protocol Address (IP Address), or use it to spoof it. This lets us change our networks we are running on. With VPN, we can remote-control our computers from different locations straight from our very own house! Further example, if my work office was at China, and I was here at home located in Texas. I can actually run a VPN to control my work computer to retrieve some files I need to send to my boss.

CAN (Campus Area Networks) - Campus? Yes! We are talking about Universities & Colleges! CANs are made up with LAN & WAN -- always used in schools, but have much more restrictions which make the networks up. Overall, it lets the students communicate with each other, and of course the administrators as well!

MAN (Metropolitan Area Networks) - Whenever you hear/read metro, always think of a city. Over here where I live at, we have "Metro Buses" which basically take individuals around to certain areas if you don't own a car. MAN is just a network throughout a metro city. Densely populated urban core, and its less-populated surrounding territories. Basically a WAN (in some ways).

Categories of Networks:

On this part, everything from Computer Networking is literally almost the same as Computer Science in a way. If you understand how the internet works, this is really basic understanding. There are two major Network Architectures we all use in this time of period. We have Peer-To-Peer (P2P), and also Server-Client based.

Peer-To-Peer (P2P)

Think of P2P as you and your friends (5 in total). All of you are equal, which let's say means you are the same age. You're in your room playing games with them. If you draw out an image of 5 computers in a circle, with their names on a certain computer. That's their certain console that they are going to play their game on. Your parents are on vacation so you can scream, and curse all you want without the big bosses telling you anything. So all those friends are your peers without the main provider telling you what to do. P2P Networking, there are no dedicated servers or hierarchy among the computers. P2P network model allows each node to function as both a client and server. All computers connected to clients.

Server-Client based

Whenever you see Server and Client, this is the exact same way we tell a DNS Server to send us an IP Address of the website we want to go on from the internet. (DNS) Domain Name System is the big boss at this point. If you have 5 computers in your home, and all of those computers need to go to a website for information. We need to ask the main server which is the DNS to send us the IP Address to be able to get the site in front of us. So, 5 computers around in a circle, while the main server is in the middle. Sharing the work involved in processing data between the client computer and the server. You're asking a server for information!

Server-Client Best Provides:

• Databases and management of applications such as Spreadsheets, Accounting, Communications and Document management.
  • Network Management -- Working with Networks; usage of software/hardware products to help the System Admins manage networks.
  • Centralized file storage -- Two computing servers sharing databases/storage files between them. This becomes useful when they both need to share data.

Conclusion

Hope this first part of Computer Networking was enjoyable for you all. If you want to see more in-depth guides into Computer Networking. Feedback will always help me know you want more! Furthermore, later on we will talk about more complex stuff such as: Hubs, NICs, Token Rings, FDDI, Cables, and the OSI Model. If you need any help, or questions feel free to quote me or PM! Remember if you feel like I have a mistake around here, or don't agree. Please feel free to show me feedback to correct things. I learned Computer Networking on my own from the resources I have throughout the internet. That's is it for this first-ever Introduction to Computer Networking here on NextGenUpdate, stay safe everyone! ~ Anthony, Hydrogen.

N E X T G E N U P D A T E
Last edited by Hydrogen ; 12-10-2017 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Misspelled word

The following 2 users say thank you to Hydrogen for this useful post:

Algebra, Specter
11-02-2016, 12:15 PM #2
Jon Snow
Di DonDadda
Originally posted by Hydrogen View Post

Introduction to Computer Networking

Introduction:

Hello NextGenUpdate, in this thread I will briefly teach you the beginning of Computer Networking. I find it interesting teaching you all the knowledge I gain from self-teaching myself on different topics when it comes to technology, or anything relating with the internet. You don't need any pre-requisites on this, but if you know a bit of Computer Science this could be a bit easier for you. I may not be the best at teaching this, but if you feel like I have made any mistakes, please, feel free to correct me! Hopefully you all learn something out of this thread, and if it does seem to be such a hit. I'll attempt to continue on with the series on Computer Networking Part II. I know Specter had made a very detailed thread on an Introduction to Reverse Engineering for Elite Members only, but I feel like since i'm not an extreme expert at this. Everyone should have the chance to learn something new everyday. I'm living up to Specter's fascinating guide on REVENG. This tutorial will be available for everyone to enjoy. Please don't share this tutorial out of NextGenUpdate unless I give you permission to do so. Lets get right into this shall we?

Table of Contents

1. Introduction
    o Background Information

2. What is Computer Networking?
    o Understanding what this topic is going to be about.

3. What does a network contain?
    o What makes this network possible.

4. Types of Networks
    o Different types of networks understanding, and their use in our lives.

5. Categories of Networks
    o Peer-To-Peer & Client-Server

6. Server-Client Best Efficient Usage
    o How it makes it well of being used.

What is "Computer Networking"?

To start this lesson off, lets talk about the term Computer Networking. Computer Networking is two or more computers connected to each other. We do this everyday of our lives, if not, then you have been living under a rock. If you don't know, ARPANET (Advanced Research Projects Agency Network) was the first ever network that actually linked two computers together, using TCP/IP (Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol). When both computers are connected, we can of course send things to each other such as: files, links, and very important things. In addition, peripherals also join up as well. There are 3 different peripherals: Storage Devices, Input Devices, and Output Devices. When it comes to connecting yourself with other devices. Remember that you may also share modems, printers, CD-ROMS, and hard drives. If you tend to open yourself up in a big company in its network, take note that much of the data will be roaming around in it. So do make sure you stay safe from Cyber Hackers!

What does a network contain?

Networks contain four of the following which make it up.

• Must have two or more computers connected with each other.
  • Computers must have a (NIC) Network Interface Card installed. A hardware that lets the computers to connect with each other.
  • Medium Connection through wires or cables. Wireless may also work.
  • A Network Operating System of your choice (Some may not work).

Types of Networks:

There used to be only two types of networks: LAN & WAN, but throughout the years we have created some more networks which do truly impact us until this day. Some aren't used that much, but I rather teach you most of them. There are a lot more networks we have used: DAN, MAN, CAN, PAN, LAN, WAN, Intranet, and VPN etc.. but lets go through the important ones first to get the hang of things.

LAN (Local Access Network) - Think of LAN as a little baby. It doesn't go that far if it doesn't have its mother nearby. We use LANs in our houses, rooms, or some buildings. This may not go way further then a building or so. LAN is just a short-distance network that is always being used in our generation.

WAN (Wide Area Networks) - By the name of it, you can already tell that this covers a wide amount of area of the network. WAN covers a huge geographical area. In order to get a WAN, we need multiple LANs to make a WAN. Routers have both WAN & LAN to send information to a certain location. The internet is the biggest WAN of all time, and is not owned by a single person/organization. Last, but not least, Frame Relay & ATM lets them communicate over long distances.

VPN (Virtual Private Networks) - Many of us tend to use "VPNs" to hide our Internet Protocol Address (IP Address), or use it to spoof it. This lets us change our networks we are running on. With VPN, we can remote-control our computers from different locations straight from our very own house! Further example, if my work office was at China, and I was here at home located in Texas. I can actually run a VPN to control my work computer to retrieve some files I need to send to my boss.

CAN (Campus Area Networks) - Campus? Yes! We are talking about Universities & Colleges! CANs are made up with LAN & WAN -- always used in schools, but have much more restrictions which make the networks up. Overall, it lets the students communicate with each other, and of course the administrators as well!

MAN (Metropolitan Area Networks) - Whenever you hear/read metro, always think of a city. Over here where I live at, we have "Metro Buses" which basically take individuals around to certain areas if you don't own a car. MAN is just a network throughout a metro city. Densely populated urban core, and its less-populated surrounding territories. Basically a WAN (in some ways).

Categories of Networks:

On this part, everything from Computer Networking is literally almost the same as Computer Science in a way. If you understand how the internet works, this is really basic understanding. There are two major Network Architectures we all use in this time of period. We have Peer-To-Peer (P2P), and also Server-Client based.

Peer-To-Peer (P2P)

Think of P2P as you and your friends (5 in total). All of you are equal, which lets say means you are the same age. You're in your room playing games with them. If you draw out an image of 5 computers in a circle, with their names on a certain computer. That's their certain console that they are going to play their game on. Your parents are on vacation so you can scream, and curse all you want without the big bosses telling you anything. So all those friends are your peers without a main provider telling you what to do. P2P Networking, there are no dedicated servers or hierarchy among the computers. P2P network model allows each node to function as both a client and server. All computers connected to clients.

Server-Client based

Whenever you see Server and Client, this is the exact same way we tell a DNS Server to send us an IP Address of the website we want to go on from the internet. (DNS) Domain Name System is the big boss at this point. If you have 5 computers in your home, and all of those computers need to go to a website for information. We need to ask the main server which is the DNS to send us the IP Address to be able to get the site in front of us. So, 5 computers around in a circle, while the main server is in the middle. Sharing the work involved in processing data between the client computer and the server. You're asking a server for information!

Server-Client Best Provides:

• Databases and management of applications such as Spreadsheets, Accounting, Communications and Document management.
  • Network Management -- Working with Networks; usage of software/hardware products to help the System Admins manage networks.
  • Centralized file storage -- Two computing servers sharing databases/storage files between them. This becomes useful when they both need to share data.

Conclusion

Hope this first part of Computer Networking was enjoyable for you all. If you want to see more in-depth guides into Computer Networking. Feedback will always help me know you want more! Furthermore, later on we will talk about more complex stuff such as: Hubs, NICs, Token Rings, FDDI, Cables, and the OSI Model. If you need any help, or questions feel free to quote me or PM! Remember if you feel like I have a mistake around here, or don't agree. Please feel free to show me feedback to correct things. I learned Computer Networking on my own from the resources I have throughout the internet. That's is it for this first ever Introduction to Computer Networking here on NextGenUpdate, stay safe everyone! ~ Jason, Hydrogen.

N E X T G E N U P D A T E

HUBS ? stare you might wanna talk about switch instead, hubs are pretty obsolete now a days. Nice little post btw ppl can learn a little from this
Last edited by Jon Snow ; 11-02-2016 at 12:22 PM.
11-02-2016, 12:49 PM #3
Hydrogen
Super Mod
Originally posted by Jon
HUBS ? stare you might wanna talk about switch instead, hubs are pretty obsolete now a days. Nice little post btw ppl can learn a little from this

Hubs and Switch Upside Down Happy
11-02-2016, 03:47 PM #4
Jon Snow
Di DonDadda

Are you taking some kinda of computer course ?becuase i learn this about 3-4 yrs ago thats y i am asking
11-02-2016, 03:52 PM #5
Hydrogen
Super Mod
Yeah, but in the courses they teach Hubs/Repeaters/Switches so that's what I mean by i'll show both. Even if hubs are obsolete.
11-06-2016, 12:44 PM #6
Sick_Matin
Save Point

Jon Snow is being picky, hub is a general term and still used in nowdays networking. I know what I'm saying cos I'm Network Engineer! If you have internet provided by an ISP you will always see that they advertise their hubs or super hubs although they are modems and routers in one box! It also pisses me of as hubs do not exist anymore (I haven't seen on in my life) yet the term persists...

You know nothing John Snow... Happy
12-10-2017, 09:02 AM #7
Hydrogen
Super Mod
Updated all 25 grammar/misspelling errors in this thread. Expect more tutorials incoming soon.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo