Login | Register

If you're having login issues, please clear your cookies and cache!

Thread: The $75,000,000,000,000 lawsuit against LimeWire

I-MilkShake-I Hamburglar

Join Date Jan 2011

Posts 339

Membership Standard

03-25-2011 06:01 PM #1 The $75,000,000,000,000 lawsuit against LimeWire

No, that is not a typo. LimeWire is being sued for more money than what physically exists as cash on the planet today. Apologies if you folks already discussed this, but perhaps one more refresher just to grasp the scope of it all:

Does $75 trillion even exist? The thirteen record companies that are suing file-sharing company Lime Wire for copyright infringement certainly thought so. When they won a summary judgment ruling last May they demanded damages that could reach this mind-boggling amount, which is more than five times the national debt.

Manhattan federal district court judge Kimba Wood, however, saw things differently. She labeled the record companies' damages request "absurd" and contrary to copyright laws in a 14-page opinion.

The record companies, which had demanded damages ranging from $400 billion to $75 trillion, had argued that Section 504(c)(1) of the Copyright Act provided for damages for each instance of infringement where two or more parties were liable. For a popular site like Lime Wire, which had thousands of users and millions of downloads, Wood held that the damage award would be staggering under this interpretation. "If plaintiffs were able to pursue a statutory damage theory predicated on the number of direct infringers per work, defendants' damages could reach into the trillions," she wrote. "As defendants note, plaintiffs are suggesting an award that is 'more money than the entire music recording industry has made since Edison's invention of the phonograph in 1877.'"

Mr.Amitoz Big Brother ONLINE GTFO

Join Date Feb 2009

Posts 1,807

Membership Elite Founder

03-25-2011 06:14 PM #11

having a hundred thousand 100,000 is alot but Trillion !!!!! OMG!
    Please Sub Dont Be Gay
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

I_BULLET_I Fcuk Do I Put Here

Join Date Aug 2008

Posts 3,967

Membership Donator

03-25-2011 06:15 PM #12

Quote Originally Posted by Silent View Post
    Limewire is amazing, I Was paying for it about 2 years ago, They are a great!
    they are bad, very bad. Full of virus', i didnt even know people still used this software

4. Join Date Dec 2009

Posts 1,554

Membership Banned

03-25-2011 06:15 PM #13

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno_Ace View Post
    Let's ask Bill Gates!
    Its trillion not billion

PsYcHoSiS Eatin' poopy

Join Date Jul 2010

Posts 2,791

Membership Donator

03-25-2011 06:16 PM #14

Quote Originally Posted by I_BULLET_I View Post
    they are bad, very bad. Full of virus', i didnt even know people still used this software
    It doesn't exist anymore.. Limewire hasn't been up for a good while now

Rokiz Death is hereditary

Join Date Aug 2010

Posts 1,534

Membership Donator

03-25-2011 06:16 PM #15

Nahh Frostwire For The Win

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rokiz For This Useful Post:

ciunas Insert User Title Here

Join Date Nov 2008

Posts 2,841

Membership Donator

03-25-2011 06:17 PM #16

Greedy music companies don't they already have enough.

Nummpty (-__-)

Join Date Apr 2010

Posts 2,671

Membership Donator

03-25-2011 06:18 PM #17

Quote Originally Posted by I-MilkShake-I View Post

No, that is not a typo. LimeWire is being sued for more money than what physically exists as cash on the planet today. Apologies if you folks already discussed this, but perhaps one more refresher just to grasp the scope of it all:

Does $75 trillion even exist? The thirteen record companies that are suing file-sharing company Lime Wire for copyright infringement certainly thought so. When they won a summary judgment ruling last May they demanded damages that could reach this mind-boggling amount, which is more than five times the national debt.

Manhattan federal district court judge Kimba Wood, however, saw things differently. She labeled the record companies' damages request "absurd" and contrary to copyright laws in a 14-page opinion.

The record companies, which had demanded damages ranging from $400 billion to $75 trillion, had argued that Section 504(c)(1) of the Copyright Act provided for damages for each instance of infringement where two or more parties were liable. For a popular site like Lime Wire, which had thousands of users and millions of downloads, Wood held that the damage award would be staggering under this interpretation. "If plaintiffs were able to pursue a statutory damage theory predicated on the number of direct infringers per work, defendants' damages could reach into the trillions," she wrote. "As defendants note, plaintiffs are suggesting an award that is 'more money than the entire music recording industry has made since Edison's invention of the phonograph in 1877.'"
    Lol Limewire Dont Even Have $75 Trillion

Hondarydr True OG

Join Date Jun 2008

Posts 4,205

Membership Bold Ex-Staff

03-25-2011 06:18 PM #18

Quote Originally Posted by Silent View Post
    Limewire is amazing, I Was paying for it about 2 years ago, They are a great!
    Why were you paying for it? All they did with pro is not limit your download speed and a few other little tweaks, you can get FrostWire for free and it has everything LimeWire pro had...
    "Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit."

iCopy YOLO

Join Date Jun 2010

Posts 3,045

Membership Donator

03-25-2011 06:19 PM #19

Who has to pay that lol sucks for them

ZoneHD Founder of XGC

Join Date May 2009

Posts 5,888

Membership Donator

03-25-2011 06:19 PM #20

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno_Ace View Post
    Let's ask Bill Gates!
    IF you added up every single person on the top 10 you wouldnt even get that much.

I wonder does zimbabwae currency count :carling:

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ZoneHD For This Useful Post: