Login | Register

Thread: That's enough "epic".

1. Knucks Banned

Join Date Aug 2008

Posts 1,828

Membership Banned

05-24-2011 05:24 PM #1 That's enough "epic".

I'm getting a little tired of hearing the word "epic". The other day I was watching a little tv, and on THREE different commercials I heard the actors or narraters say things like; "you can win EPIC prizes!", "I'm epic win.." and "epic win for gamers". I understand that it's fun to say and it's a cool word and all. But seriously. I think we're taking it a little to far now.

When epic started, it was used as "epic fail". Now, virtually everything has epic slapped in front of it and it's getting ridiculous. Marketing firms think it'll relate the shitty products they're selling to gamer kids or anyone who's heard the term used loosely by saying the word epic in the ad campaigns. That has to stop. I like saying "epic". But if it keeps gaining in popularity as it has been, it'll become a used up word that no one uses, like "bitchin' " or "rad", because it's been said too much.

What are we supposed to do though? We can't just call up companies and say "stop fucking saying epic you retards. It's like my parents using the word 'chill' or '***' or something." The only thing I can think of is to boycott the products of companies trying to use this tactic, but that would be impossible for all the little gaming nerds in the world to do. But, if that were to happen, it would let the companies know that something they're doing isn't working and might pull the plug on trying to sound hip and cool by using an internet slang word.

I guess I'm just ranting about something that can't be fixed, again...
    Last edited by Uncle Knucks; 05-24-2011 at 05:26 PM.

2. Join Date Feb 2010

Posts 688

Membership Donator

05-24-2011 06:32 PM #21

Quote Originally Posted by Fierce Knucks View Post
    That's a great job contributing to the thread you did there. That must have taken some serious brain power to come up with such an amazing piece of contribution to a topic such as this.

DUMB KID

I read your post and I completely agree, this is a minor problem compared to some of the other stuff in the world. Some how we just have to learn to live with it and unfortunately our best efforts will more than likely never achieve what we want.

With relation to Azlan's post, unfortunately we have too many people on this forum that think it's cool to give stupid answers and post random shit thinking that people will view them as "cool" or maybe give them some rep to make their e-peen look bigger. It's like your "Epic" issue, no matter how much we try to educate people to be more social and mature on this forum we will never achieve our goals. There will always be some stupid person who just wants to be an ass.
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TarikSadek For This Useful Post:

4. Join Date Jul 2010

Posts 4,387

Membership Donator

05-24-2011 06:57 PM #22

While I was reading your thread... look what I saw.

Foxy was here <3

UnoDeluxe Are you high?

Join Date Jun 2010

Posts 447

Membership Standard

05-24-2011 06:57 PM #23

It's true epic is overly used but that doesn't mean people don't have the right to use it. Yes it may be annoying and yes it may be used to many times but that's what happens when you don't have a vocabulary. However, I'm not saying that if you use the word epic; you don't have an education but sometimes it's hard to find the right word so people just use epic as a sort of filler.
    For example:
    She is so epic.
    That was so epic.
    The game was so epic.
    instead of:
    She is so beautiful.
    That was so amazing.
    The game was so awesome.

Those are just my two cents. Live and let live!
    Last edited by UnoDeluxe; 05-24-2011 at 07:03 PM.
    Put it in my wallet.

6. Knucks Banned

Join Date Aug 2008

Posts 1,828

Membership Banned

05-24-2011 07:37 PM #24

Quote Originally Posted by UnoDeluxe View Post
    It's true epic is overly used but that doesn't mean people don't have the right to use it. Yes it may be annoying and yes it may be used to many times but that's what happens when you don't have a vocabulary. However, I'm not saying that if you use the word epic; you don't have an education but sometimes it's hard to find the right word so people just use epic as a sort of filler.
    For example:
    She is so epic.
    That was so epic.
    The game was so epic.
    instead of:
    She is so beautiful.
    That was so amazing.
    The game was so awesome.

Those are just my two cents. Live and let live!

I agree, however what I meant in my post was that people should restrict the use of the word to ensure that people can use it effectively without worry of sounding like a played out jerk. As I said, I like the word. I just think that it is being used way to much and for the wrong reasons.

7. Live Life. vBookie addict.

Join Date Jun 2010

Posts 1,134

Membership Donator

05-24-2011 08:15 PM #25

epicumadcoostorybro. All were fun to use, when used right. Then a bunch of idiots started using them in the completely wrong way. What can we do though, itz teh interwebz mostly.

helpmeoprah FormerStaff HATED ON

Join Date Jul 2010

Posts 2,130

Membership Donator

05-24-2011 08:40 PM #26

Quote Originally Posted by DEREKTROTTER View Post
    epic thread is epic

just kidding, there are many overused words

noob
    lol
    ftw

actually know someone who uses "lol" in a normal conversation /facepalm
    :winning: :fyea: lol me and my buddy say winning to each other after we each saw that charlie sheen song

"I can't feel the ink on my skin, I can't feel the tar in my lungs"

Sig by Low Key

aZlan Never come on here anymore

Join Date Feb 2009

Posts 2,598

Membership Donator

05-24-2011 08:43 PM #27

And I suppose you're an authority on what does and doesn't "deserve a thread" now.

In that case:

All seriousness, you're a "good kid" but you don't deserve membership to this website.

Oh, sorry. That's just my opinion. But it counts though.

I like the variety this thread is producing. Some are on the side of my argument, and some aren't. Hell, some might call that a discussion or debate.
    Seems to me like that's a "point" for the thread. No?
    epic speech
    "You don't have to be good-looking, you just have to look good "

F33L exmawd

Join Date Jun 2009

Posts 3,291

Membership Former Staff

05-24-2011 08:59 PM #28

I know that feel bro
    How I feel every time...

Also a side note: any mod that even thinks about closing this forgets what discussion is...
    We all get pissed at words like that...

Also all these ****ers at my school that say awkward at even the slightest socially uncomfortable situation...
    Last edited by F33L~; 05-24-2011 at 09:03 PM.
    "We did it like that n now we do it like this"

"The universe is probably litered with the one-planet graves of cultures which made the sensible economic decision that there's no good reason to go into space - each discovered, studied and remembered by the ones who made the irrational decision."'

"At a time, the young Universe was filled with a hot dense soup of interacting protons, electrons and photons at about 2700șC. When the protons and electrons joined to form hydrogen atoms, the light was set free."

"My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"

11. The Following User Says Thank You to F33L For This Useful Post:

12. Join Date

Posts n/a

Membership Unregistered / Not Logged In

05-24-2011 09:13 PM #29

What do you expect, the site and most forum site are run filled with 12-17 year olds whos grammar compares to that of a child in grammar school. Its all about trends now.

13. Cudder Read My Mind

Join Date Apr 2010

Posts 1,994

Membership Donator

05-24-2011 09:34 PM #30

People just go right from the top shelf with their words these days, selfish bastards.