Post: Thoughts - On the 'SP only' intent/choices of some releases.
07-14-2015, 07:36 AM #1
PlainOldMe-101
Bounty hunter
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); In respect of AB and his choice to follow his convictions about use of his scripthook can be abused if MP enabled, well the guy had valid and reasonable concerns and his choice was valid and reasons definately not unfounded. However, people should additionally give due credit to the fact he wasn't out to kill MP modding fun - if he was, he'd have employed something more complex than the ability to bypass with a simple hex value change. But irrespective of why, i guess some will still think he's wrong, when it takes less time to fix than moan about it.

Likewise, the same can and should be said for those who have zero intent for their mod menus and mods to be used in MP and subsequently 'cripple' them to be either ineffective in MP (there being no effect in MP for a function) or the menu is completely inaccessible in MP (rarer beast that). If that's the modder's choice, or in some cases - repackager of mods, then that's their choice. Live with it and respect their choice. If you've really got a modder's mind and determination, you'll figure out a workaround or rebuild if you desperately want to use it in MP - and if you lack the skills, find an alternative, but pestering the author to change their mind is both disrespectful and a plain bloody annoying spoilt brat reaction.

Highly unpopular thoughts i guess, but the uncomfortable truth of choice and consequence often is just that, unpopular and hard to live with in a world full of 'gimmee gimmee now' slackers who want a quick win with zero input or effort.
07-17-2015, 06:37 PM #2
OlafTopp
Pokemon Trainer
Hi - u need not to discuss the "multiplayer mods" - ´cause all modders get still banned by the auto-ban-system that "do-not" fail, means: if u have the "scripthookv" in the game´s folder, Rockstar will "snap" u off the game :-))
Think about seriously to mod only offline , online modding doesn´t make any sense as long the "way of modding" won´t change (and it seems to me - it won´t change any more!) -cheers!
07-18-2015, 10:13 AM #3
PlainOldMe-101
Bounty hunter
Of course i should mention MP modding, if you gave it any real thought - you'd realise that part of the whole 'To make it SP only or not' choice of mods and TC's involves MP and perceptions of how people use mods in MP, therefore 'MP' is an integral part of the article. To say there's no need to discuss MP modding is like saying 'don't discuss a certain make of car in saloon racing, because the manufacturer officially doesn't support saloon racing' - privateer racers ain't under the auspices and 'license' of the manufacturer and can do what they damn well please. Modders are like the privateer racers of the racing world, they do because they can and have ideas on how to do it, they don't rely on manufacturer/author 'works' resources and don't have 'license' as goes with 'works' resources but whilst they can build and race a vehicle that qualifies to take part in the series, they do regardless.

Unlike some, I'm not anti-MP modding, i'm happy for people to do what they damn well please to extend and create new extentions/improvements to a title - I also respect their choices, whilst respecting the simple fact that it's not 'mods' that ruin MP gaming (that's pretty narrow thinking if you believe it does) but the intent and actions of those who abuse and misuse the mods and TC's to the detriment of everyone else. What i don't support is outright 'fraud' mods/hack elements - the ones distinctly and absolutely designed to bypass spending money (where it conflicts with the finance model of the game) to gain huge wealth - and that's simply because we all know what happens when you can buy in-game resources like throwing confetti, you start crapping on others when you get bored and abuse your wealth-fuelled power. Mods that extend the scope of game, mods that redress excessive in-balance of power in NPC/AI terms, those kind of things i fully support regardless of mode of use. But irrespective of what i support or not, the modders are free to do and create what and how they please for any or all modes of game and that's blunt reality in a nutshell.

As for methods of modding, given the scope of the PC platform, methods will evolve and methods that no adaptive 'auto ban' system can touch will emerge. For example, anything that just alters values in RAM, is not modifying files, so there's no invalid versions of the file in use and therefore there's deliberate (by file doctoring) circumvention - the contents of your computer's memory is your business to do with as you please, it's what you do to deliberately affect the stability and operation and security of remote systems your system communicates and exchanges data with - that's when it gets very dodgy and becomes a real issue. A good example of that was 'Voyager' hack used on Satellite TV many moons ago - no amount of 'auto ban/auto lock out' method could work on that and didn't (the actual solution was a costly exercise to fix the holes that allowed 'Yoyager' to work).

The 'auto ban' system, you seem to have faith in, is a technology joke by any standards - when it works it's 'blunt chisel being struck by a planet sized hammer' accurate and it's precision strike effort is an even bigger joke (unless you are a a victim, in which case it's no joke at all), and it's false positive scope is just as comical as it's a pain for legit users and mod users alike. The in-game ped AI is more accurate and selective vs conflicts of logic than the auto-ban system is precision targeted, which is a world-class joke situation.

Anyway, the rights and wrongs of MP modding isn't the point - it's that we respect the choices of the creators, and we respect we have two choices over MP use (if we choose to want to use) - we either 'crack the code' ourselves or build our own solutions that fit our choice, and stop pestering the authors to rethink their choices to restrict.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo