06-22-2011, 05:30 PM #1
Cain
Tutorial Team Like A Boss
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); You must login or register to view this content.

I get asked this question countless times because well.. people just like owning a server.
To run a server you will need the requirements for a good speed connection:

• 1GB RAM
  • 1.8Ghz Processor and Above

Running a server is not hard and is incredibly easy, so I am going to tell you how
[multipage=Windows ]
Step 1 - Downloading the Server

• You will want to download the JAR here: You must login or register to view this content.
  • Save it inside a folder called "Server" on your Desktop

Step 2 - Setting the Server Up
Before you can configure anything, you need to run the JAR file first through command prompt. We're going to make it as easy as possible.

copy the following into Notepad
    java -jar craftbukkit-0.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar

save the file as "startserver.bat". Open the File and The command prompt should open with all the server information.

Step 3 - Configuring The Server
We will need to configure it, if you don't want to it's fine but the configuration is optional.
Open up server.properties that was created when you started the server, you will see some default values. Change these if you wish but I highly recommend setting
    enable-flight=false
to
    enable-flight=true
as I always get users complaining they can't fly.

Step 4 - Port-Forwarding Your Server
Minecraft Servers runs by default on 25565 so to portforward it, go to You must login or register to view this content. and look for your Router and how to portforward, it MUST be 25565 for your URL to be shorter, else it looks ugly. (my.ip:593Cool Man (aka Tustin) or would you prefer (my.ip) your choice Winky Winky

Step 5 - Downloading Plugins
I recommend going to You must login or register to view this content. and downloading a plugin from there. In your Server directory a folder would of been created "plugins" just drag the jars from the Plugins Website into that folder and type reload in the server to reload the server with the new jars that have been imported.
[multipage=Mac ]

• You will want to download the JAR here: You must login or register to view this content.

Before you can configure anything, you need to run the JAR file first through Terminal. We're going to make it as easy as possible.

copy the following into Text Editor

save the file as "startserver.sh" and open the File. The Terminal should open with all the server information.

We will need to configure it, if you don't want to it's fine but the configuration is optional.
Open up server.properties that was created when you started the server, you will see some default values. Change these if you wish but I highly recommend setting
    enable-flight=false
to
    enable-flight=true

Minecraft Servers runs by default on 25565 so to portforward it, go to You must login or register to view this content. and look for your Router and how to portforward, it MUST be 25565 for your URL to be shorter, else it looks ugly. (my.ip:593Cool Man (aka Tustin) or would you prefer (my.ip) your choice Winky Winky

I recommend going to You must login or register to view this content. and downloading a plugin from there. In your Server directory a folder would of been created "plugins" just drag the jars from the Plugins Website into that folder and type reload in the server to reload the server with the new jars that have been imported.
[multipage=Linux ]

Before you can configure anything, you need to run the JAR file first through command prompt. We're going to make it as easy as possible.

copy the following into Gedit

save the file as "startserver.sh" and put it in the Server Folder, and right-click it, press the permissions tab, and click "Executable" then very simply run the file. The terminal should open with all the server information.

enable-flight=false
to
    enable-flight=true

[multipage=End ]
Hope this helps some people out, if it doesn't feel free to ask.
Last edited by Cain ; 06-23-2011 at 02:40 AM.

The following 7 users say thank you to Cain for this useful post:

DAFG20, J-J, Dan, riches, Swade, TheFuziioN-
06-23-2011, 11:28 PM #11
Default Avatar
Gizmo
Originally posted by Cain View Post

Since Merk trashed his, I'll sticky this one as a guide :y:

The following user thanked Gizmo for this useful post:

Cain
06-24-2011, 01:26 AM #12
Cain
Originally posted by Gizmo View Post
Since Merk trashed his, I'll sticky this one as a guide :y:

Thank's Gizzy :wub:

---------- Post added at 02:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:24 AM ----------

Originally posted by FlyingIrishMan View Post
Do you have to pay to host a Minecraft server?

It depends what type of server you are looking to host, if you have a powerful computer then you can host it on your own computer and keep it on 24/7.
However if you don't want to host on your computer then you will need to pay.

I recommend You must login or register to view this content. as they do good VPS Deals.

---------- Post added at 02:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 AM ----------

Originally posted by ANOREXIC
I did everything right with the portforwarding but it says connection refused: connect

Make sure it is on the correct IP address, make sure you used the right static IP when portforwarding.
07-15-2011, 06:05 PM #13
Skyl1n3
DO SOMETHING THEN!
Originally posted by Cain View Post
Thank's Gizzy :wub:

---------- Post added at 02:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:24 AM ----------

It depends what type of server you are looking to host, if you have a powerful computer then you can host it on your own computer and keep it on 24/7.
However if you don't want to host on your computer then you will need to pay.

I recommend You must login or register to view this content. as they do good VPS Deals.

---------- Post added at 02:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 AM ----------

Make sure it is on the correct IP address, make sure you used the right static IP when portforwarding.

When I go to that site it doesn't even tell you how to portforward..
07-16-2011, 03:18 AM #14
Cain
Chunkhost doesn't tell you how to portforward ..
Chunkhost is a VPS Service.
07-17-2011, 08:58 PM #15
streamwood
Gunsmoke James Arness
Originally posted by HurriCain View Post
You must login or register to view this content.

I get asked this question countless times because well.. people just like owning a server.

• 1GB RAM

Running a server is not hard and is incredibly easy, so I am going to tell you how
[multipage=Windows ]

save the file as "startserver.bat". Open the File and The command prompt should open with all the server information.

enable-flight=false
to
    enable-flight=true

[multipage=Mac ]

Before you can configure anything, you need to run the JAR file first through Terminal. We're going to make it as easy as possible.

save the file as "startserver.sh" and open the File. The Terminal should open with all the server information.

enable-flight=false
to
    enable-flight=true

[multipage=Linux ]

save the file as "startserver.sh" and put it in the Server Folder, and right-click it, press the permissions tab, and click "Executable" then very simply run the file. The terminal should open with all the server information.

enable-flight=false
to
    enable-flight=true

[multipage=End ]

well portforward.com doesnt help me with portforwarding.
07-18-2011, 07:49 PM #16
Winning
Former Staff
CMD wont open. It just flashes open then closes.
08-11-2011, 04:12 PM #17
Jared
Tranquility.
Originally posted by Winning View Post

Originally posted by CainFooolErased View Post

• 1GB RAM

[multipage=Windows ]

enable-flight=false
to
    enable-flight=true

[multipage=Mac ]

enable-flight=false
to
    enable-flight=true

[multipage=Linux ]

enable-flight=false
to
    enable-flight=true

[multipage=End ]

Same with me. It opens and then closes. It doesn't even make any files.
08-11-2011, 04:17 PM #18
Winning
Former Staff
Originally posted by Kammmmi View Post
Same with me. It opens and then closes. It doesn't even make any files.

I've fixed it since that post. Just put the startup file into your server folder.
08-11-2011, 04:26 PM #19
Jared
Tranquility.

Originally posted by CainFooolErased View Post

• 1GB RAM

[multipage=Windows ]

enable-flight=false
to
    enable-flight=true

[multipage=Mac ]

enable-flight=false
to
    enable-flight=true

[multipage=Linux ]

enable-flight=false
to
    enable-flight=true

[multipage=End ]

I've fixed it since that post. Just put the startup file into your server folder.

Still doing it to me.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo