Post: [PC] How to Set Up Plugins and Permissions on a Minecraft Server
08-16-2016, 05:24 PM #1
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});
I've seen a lot of people who ask about setting up a certain plugin, or setting up permissions on their Minecraft server. Hopefully this guide will be useful for those people.

Requirements:

- Computer file management/editing knowledge (Obviously)

- Know how to run a Minecraft server that allows others to join

- A good text editor such as Notepad++ (Windows) or TextWrangler (Mac)

So, you've finally figured out how to run your own Minecraft server. It's pretty fun, but it's nothing like all of the other popular servers you have seen. This guide will open up thousands of new possibilities for your simple default Minecraft server. :biggrin:

Step 1 ~ Installing Bukkit

If you haven't already, you need to install Bukkit. You can do this by replacing the default minecraft_server.jar with the latest recommended craftbukkit build. (You can also use the latest development build, but these could still have issues. I suggest only using a development build if you have a popular server and need to keep it up to date with new official Minecraft releases.) Bukkit allows for the installation of plugins on your server, and will make your server much more appealing than a simple default vanilla world. Rename the version you downloaded to craftbukkit.jar, and change the your start up command (batch file, sh script, etc.) to use craftbukkit.jar also.

Example Startup Command:

java -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -jar craftbukkit.jar nogui

Step 2 ~ Finding the Right Plugins

Now you need to pick out some plugins for your server. You can find almost anything you are looking for on BukkitDev or Bukkit Plugins. Search through BukkitDev first though; many plugins on the Bukkit plugin list are outdated. When you find a plugin, download it and place the .jar file in the plugins directory of your server files. Don't worry about a permissions plugin just yet! Here is a list of plugins that are very useful:

*Requires MySQL database

Essentials - Adds tons of useful commands and settings. A must have. Get EssentialsChat if you want an easy chat formatter.

WorldEdit - Edit huge chunks of worlds with ease. Many other plugins rely on it.

WorldGuard - Lots of customization of different areas. Protects places from grief too.

Multiverse - Allows for multiple worlds, nether worlds, portals, etc. on your server. Make sure to get the Core, Nether Portals, Inventories, and Portals versions for full use.

Hawkeye* or Logblock* or Guardian* - Allows for checking grief and performing very precise rollbacks. You need to know how to use mySQL in order to use these plugins.

NoCheatPlus - Prevents people from using griefing/hacking clients to fly or cheat.

xAuth - Login system for offline mode (cracked) servers.

LWC - Chest locking plugin that is better than Lockette in my opinion.

iConomy - Creates a money system for your server. Requires Vault.

Spout - Allows many more mods for your server, but requires people to use a Spout client to see the mods.

Once you have downloaded all of the .jar files for each plugin and placed them in the plugins folder, you are ready to set them up.

Step 3 ~ Editing Plugin Configurations

Start up your server and wait for it to say "done" in the console. Now shut off the server and check your plugins folder. There should be folders for each plugin .jar file you installed (unless no config is needed). This is when the customization begins. When you visit a plugin page (links to some plugins are in step 2), there will be information on setting up the config.yml file. If you haven't, install Notepad++ on Windows or TextWrangler on Mac. Open the config.yml with a good text editor, and change the settings to fit your needs. For example, the Multiverse wiki shows what every option does in the config. Each plugin should have this documentation, you just need to check their BukkitDev page or wiki. If you still need help, there is usually an IRC chat for more difficult issues. Once you have configured everything to fit your needs, you are ready to set up permissions.

Step 4 ~ Choosing a Permissions Plugin

The time has come for you to decide on a permissions plugin. Your two best options are PermissionsEx or bPermissions. There are others, but there could be compatibility issues with some plugins. Check out each of their pages, and decide on the one that you would rather use. I personally use PermissionsEx (PEX for short), and have only had very minor issues with it. In this tutorial, I will explain how to use PEX. This will give you a basis on how to use bPermissions or any other permissions plugin too. Make sure to read the plugin documentation on BukkitDev for more help!

Step 5 ~ Setting Up Permissions and Ranks (PEX)

**PLEASE NOTE, THIS PART OF THE TUTORIAL IS FOR PERMISSIONSEX ONLY! IT WILL GIVE YOU A GOOD FEEL FOR SETTING UP PERMISSIONS EVEN IF YOU AREN'T USING PEX THOUGH!**Now, download PermissionsEx and place it in your plugin folder. Restart the server, and then shut it off once "done" appears. Move to your plugin/permissionsex folder and open permissions.yml with Notepad++ or TextWrangler. Read, then copy and paste this code into the file:

GroupName:  #Name of the group

default: false #Change to true if this is the default group when joining

options:

rank: 100 #This is the rank in their group ladder. If they are the default group, make it something other than zero (Ex. 500) The lower the number, the higher the rank

rank-ladder: Default #Which rank ladder they are in. Not necessary if you only have one.

permissions: #Sample permissions nodes

- essentials.help #This is a permission node that could be found on the Essentials plugin page

- essentials.motd

- essentials.sign.color

inheritance: #Sample inheritance. Not needed if the default group

- Player

worlds: #Everything below is different for each world

creative:

prefix: '[Builder] &a' #Gives them the [Builder] prefix with a green name (&a)

permissions: #Permissions only allowed in the creative world

- essentials.time

- essentials.time.set

- essentials.time.add

vanilla:

prefix: '[Survivor] &3'

vanilla_nether:

vanilla_the_end:

WHEN EDITING, NEVER USE TABS! YOU MUST USE 4 SPACES IN YAML!

This will serve as a starting point for you to customize your ranks. The words with dots between them are permission nodes. You add these to this configuration file to allow ranks to do an action. For example, the Essentials wiki has a huge list of permission nodes (click on view permissions). By adding each one of these nodes to a certain place, you give that usergroup permission to perform the command or ability. If you want to add more ranks, simply copy the first group and paste it with a different group name. Use the inheritance option to let higher ranks use all of the commands that lower ranks use. PEX supports multiworld permissions as well. You can add permission nodes under world names as seen in the config above. This will allow people of a certain group to use that command only in the world specified. You can also set per world prefixes in the config for chat formatting. I use EssentialsChat with PEX to format chat. So, that is what a basic config file looks like with PEX. I highly suggest visiting the wiki for more information on this.

Step 6 ~ Adding Users to Ranks

Once you have finished the config file, you can set people to a certain rank by using /pex user [username] set group [groupname], or /pex promote [playername] to easily rank someone up. Remember that you need to define the rank ladder before promoting people with this command. You can also just edit the permissions.yml file in the PermissionsEx folder and use the command /pex reload to reload permissions. Remember that you need to define the rank ladder before promoting people with this command. You should make sure that you have the default rank set correctly too. (You wouldn't want everyone to join as an admin, would you?) After this, you're done!

Step 7 ~ Now What?

Now you have a server set up with permissions and plugins! Just remember, as Minecraft updates, you need to update ALL of your plugins. This means that you need to repeat the process of downloading all of your plugins and a craftbukkit version. Keeping your plugins up to date reduces server issues.

Well, that's all for now. I hope this helps out those of you having problems with permissions. If you are still confused, feel free to respond with a question and I'll do my best to help you out! If you think I should add something, let me know!
09-28-2016, 04:46 AM #2
Hey add this website as a helper for checking if your permissions are going to work You must login or register to view this content. it will let you know if something is wrong

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo