01-23-2011, 07:06 AM #1
Drake
<3 SGC
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});
MINECRAFT SUPER GUIDE

Since MineCraft has taken off incredibly in the last week or so, I decided to write a super guide.

To quickly browse the guide, press control f to bring up the find option and type in the code next to the part you want to go to. Example: To goto 'Where can I play MineCraft?', go into find and type [S1-1] then press next until you get to the part.

EDIT: Just to keep you all hungry, i'll add pics of mobs soon. Including giants and humans. Also how to get them in game. Will also add save file managing.

[multipage=Latest MineCraft Update]

A new launcher will be coming soon!

You must login or register to view this content.

Originally posted by another user
That news area is loaded from the interwebs and will contain release notes so you know what’s changed. When you start the game, the launcher will ask you if you want to download the new update or not. Eventually there will also be an option in the launcher to choose where to load/save maps from.

[multipage=Contents]
Contents:

[S1]What is MineCraft?
[S1-1]Where can I play MineCraft?
[S2]A guide to playing MineCraft
[S2-1]Controls
[S2-2]Surviving your first night!
[S2-3]Collecting resources
[S2-4]How to Mine
[S2-5]Blocks and Items
[S2-6]Crafting
[S2-7]Different Structures
[S2-8]MineCarts and Redstone
[S2-9]The Nether
[S2-10]Mobs
[S3]Mods
[S3-1]What are mods and where can I get them?
[S3-2]How do I install mods?
[S3-3]Skins and texture packs
[S3-4]Programs.
[S4]Survival Mutli-Player (SMP)
[S4-1]What's SMP?
[S4-2]How do I make my own server?
[S5]Other
[S5-1]Useful Links
[S5-2]Change Log

[multipage=What is MineCraft]
[S1]What is MineCraft?

[S1]What is MineCraft?

Minecraft is a sandbox construction game, inspired by Infiniminer, and created by Markus Persson, the founder of Mojang AB. The game involves players creating and destroying various types of blocks in a three dimensional environment. The player takes an avatar that can destroy or create blocks, forming fantastic structures, creations and artwork across the various multiplayer servers in multiple game modes.
Minecraft is currently in beta, available to players for €14.95 (~$20). Beta singleplayer and Beta multiplayer, when purchased, can be played in the user's web browser, or using the downloadable client. Minecraft Classic is available to play for free. Minecraft development started around the 10th of May 2009, pre-orders for the full game started being accepted on the 13th of June 2009.

MineCraft is split into two versions, classic and Beta. Beta is updated regularly and is €14.95. Classic is free but isn't updated. Classic single player can be played You must login or register to view this content. and multiplayer can be played You must login or register to view this content..

Note: To save your game in single player you need to have an account and to play multiplayer you have to have an account.

You can download the Beta client from You must login or register to view this content.. When first starting the game you need to have a internet connection and a payed account to download the game files.

Another less known version of MineCraft is InfDev. It has been discontinued by Notch. It has unlimited maps as it keeps generating them. The torrent is on pirate bay.

You can register You must login or register to view this content.

[multipage=A Guide To Playing MineCraft]
[S2]A Guide to Playing MineCraft

[S2]A guide to playing MineCraft
[S2-1]Controls
[S2-2]Surviving your first night!
[S2-3]Collecting resources
[S2-4]How to Mine
[S2-5]Blocks and Items
[S2-6]Crafting
[S2-9]The Nether
[S2-10]Mobs

This section will cover how to play MineCraft Beta Single Player.

[S2-1]Controls

W - Move forward
A - Move left
S - Move backwards
D - Move right
Space - Jump
Mouse - Look around
Mouse Left Click - Hit/Destroy
Mouse Right Click - Place block
Mouse Scroll - Scroll through your inventory
1-9 - Selects the corresponding item in your inventory
I - Inventory
ESC - Pause
F1 - Removes your HUD and hands
F2 - Screenshot
F3 - Debug
F5 - Toggle 3rd Person Mode

[S2-2]

When you first spawn in MineCraft, you have nothing. Move around a bit, admire the views but not too long. Too survive your first night you need a couple of things, wood, coal and stone are the bare essentials. Use the following steps to set yourself up.

Step 1. Look around and get used to the controls. Look to [S2-1] for controls.

Step 2. Go get some wood. Find a tree and hit it until a piece of wood comes out. you need a bar minimum of 3 pieces of wood. But get as much as possible.

Step 3. Now with your 3 pieces of wood, press I. You will see 4 boxes to the top right and above it will say crafting. Press left click to pick up your wood and drag it too any of the boxes. Once you do that, in the box on the right of the four boxes, Wooden Planks will appear. Left click those and put them in your inventory.

Step 4. Put a wood plank in one of each box to get a work bench. Put the work bench in your inventory and press I to get back to the game. Now lay down the workbench. Now right click on it. Now put the rest of your wood blocks in one sqaure. Now right click that square and left click the square above it. Now take all the sticks you have just made and out them in your inventory.

Step 5. Make a pick axe out of wood like this: [img] https://www.minecraftwiki.net/images/f/fb/Crafting_Pickaxes.gif[/img]
Ignore the other recipes there, use the wood one.

Step 6. Now bash the workbench with your hand and pick it up. Now find some stone. Select your pick axe and bash the stone with it until it breaks. Pick up the cobble stone. Now you need at least 7 stone.

Step 7. Then repeat step 5 but instead of using wooden planks at the top, use the cobble stone. Then make a axe and shovel using the templates below. Make sure to use cobble stone.

Step 8. Now with the stone pick axe, we can collect coal. Coal is shown in the picture below. Bash it with your stone pick axe. You need a bare minimum of 1 coal. Note: You can only use the pick axe to mine stone/coal/ores.

Step 9. Now press i. Goto your crafting squares and put 1 stick on a bottom square and 1 coal on the square above it. Now you have torches.

Step 10. Now dig yourself a nice hole in the side of a hill. Put a torch down and cover the entrance back up. If you leave it open, creepers will come in and destroy you. Now after 7 minutes, look outside. It will be daytime.

Continue collecting resources. You may want to make a house instead of a hole.

And remember kids, don't go out at night unless you are prepared.

[S2-3]Collecting Resources

You need resources. Resources are things like wood, coal, dirt and cobble stone. In the day try and get as much as possible of these. Cobble stone is not as important as when you start mining, you will fill chests with it.

When collecting wood, use an axe. When collecting dirt, use a shovel. When collecting coal and cobble stone, use a pick axe. Certain things can only be mined with certain tools.
Example: Obsidian can only be mined with a diamond pick axe.

[S2-4]How to Mine

Personally, my favorite way to mine is to dig stairs going down. You should do this under your house. Do it 4 across. There are various other ways to mine. One is to build a big shaft going straight down until you find a tunnel system. Most of the time this will succeed. But you need ladders to get back up or you could build a spiral stairs system.

A tip when mining is to always have at least 3 pick axes on you and 64 torches. Always use a stone pick axe when mining. Only use a steel or above if you encounter a rarer ore. There's no point in wasting a diamond pick axe when you'll only get stone usually.

If you are going to build a big shaft, put water at the bottom that is 2 blocks deep. This way if you fall down the steps/want to jump down, you won't be damaged at all.

Sometimes big cave systems are too big for you to remember which way. A good way to find your way back is to a. put lots of torches at the cave entrance and b. too always place torches on the right side of the tunnel, this way if you want to get back, follow the torches on the left side.

[S2-5]Blocks and Items

Blocks[/b]
Minecraft is composed of and built entirely out of blocks. You dig through blocks, you build with blocks, your character is made of blocks; they are everywhere. It is possible to change how the blocks appear by applying new Texture Packs.
The face of a block is 16x16 pixels, and each block is one cubic meter. Water, Lava and Portal blocks have a shifting pattern for each face.

Items[/b]
Items, alongside Blocks, make up all usable resources in Minecraft. While blocks take on 3D appearances in inventory, items appear as 2d sprites, only having a small level of 3D when in the player's hand.

Items first appeared in Indev and are only available in Indev, Infdev, Alpha and Beta.

Notch has said everything from the current survival mode will be placeable in the future Creative mode, but how items will work remains to be seen.

[S2-6]Crafting

There are too many recipes to list here. The full and growing list of items can be found You must login or register to view this content..

House:A safe place to spend the night away from mobs
Workshop: A workshop is similar to a house but has permanent oven, crafting table and large chest. Should be near your house.

StoreHouse: A store house should have certain items for emergency uses. If you die, go there to get items. It should have the same things inside as a workshop. Inside the large chest put 2 pick axes, 2 swords, 2 shovels, 2 axes and 3 lots of 64 stone. Also some food.

WareHouse: Should have lots of chests to store materials you collect.

Pantry: Is what it is, store food here. Have one oven as well.

Forge: A room filled with ovens to cut down on smelting time.

Beacons: In case you get lost, a big structure should be put near or on your house. A large tower of cobble is good. Better is a arrow pointing down.

Wheat Farm: Wheat crop growing area. Can be anywhere but must have good irrigation and good light.

Tree Farm: So you can always have some wood around. Needs good light and lots of space.

Vault: Somewhere hidden so you can store your precious items. In SMP, making a room lined with bedrock underground then setting a warp to it is good. Don't tell anyone else though.

Infinite Water Supply: Dig a 2x2x1 hole and place water in diagonal corner blocks. Taking water from any square will regenerate.
Subway: Dig underground tunnels and set up a mine cart system to have a subway. In SMP, in case the others find out you have been stealing the cake, make some secret underground tunnels that goto a safe house.

Trash: Make a 2x2x1 hole and fill it with lava. Now you can put blocks in there and they will disappear forever. No more pesky gravel.

I am the worst person to explain redstone and MineCarts. But the vids below are the best at telling you all about them.

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPls6LXlkGI]YouTube - Bob's Minecraft Tutorial 1: Minecart Boosters[/ame]

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ayhg-yizLUI]YouTube - Bob's Minecraft Tutorial 2: Auto Minecart Station[/ame]

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v5cAFYouWY]YouTube - Bob's Minecart Tutorial 3: Advanced Minecart Stations[/ame]

[S2-9]The Nether

The Nether (can be called Hell, the Slip) was a new feature in the MineCraft Halloween update. By creating an erect rectangle 4 across and 5 up out of obsidian and lighting the middle, creates a portal to the Nether. Standing in it will transport you to a mysterious world.
[img] https://www.minecraftwiki.net/images/6/63/Nether_'biome'.png[/img]
There are 3 blocks naturally forming in the nether. Netherrack is the main block that forms the nether. Soul Sand slows mobs and yourself down when you walk on it. Glow stone glows and drops glow dust.

Also there are 2 mobs in the nether, ghasts which fly and pigmen which wont attack you unless attacked.

[S2-10]Mobs

Mobs are all creatures other then yourself. They are split into 3 different groups, passive, neutral and aggressive.

Passive
Pigs: Health: 5 | Attack: 0 | Drop: 0-2 Raw Pork
Sheep: Health: 5 | Attack 0 | Drop: 1-3 cloth blocks (on hit). No drops on death.
Cow: Health: 5 | Attack: 0 | Drop: 0-3 leather
Chicken: Health: 2 | Attack: 0 | Drop: Feathers
Squid: Health: 5 | Attack: 0 | Drop: 0-3 Ink Sacs

Neutral
Zombie Pigman: Health: 20 | Attack: 2.5 | Drop: Grilled Pork, Feathers (rare)

Aggressive
Zombie: Health: 10 | Attack: 3 | Drop: 0-2 Feathers
Skeleton: Health: 10 | Attack: 2 | Drop 0-2 Arrows
Spider: Health: 10 | Attack: 1.5 | Drop: 0-2 String
Creeper: Health: 10 | Attack: Random | Drop: 0-3 gun powder, record (if killed by skeleton)
Spider Jockey: Health: 10 + 10 | Attack: 2 (arrows), 1.5 (direct) | Drop: 0-2 String (spider), 0-2 arrows (skeleton)
Slime: Health: 32/8/2/0.5 | Attack: N/A | Drop: 0-2 Slime Balls
Ghast: Health: 5 | Attack: Various | Drop: 0-2 Gunpowder

[multipage=Mods]
[S3]Mods

[S3]Mods
[S3-2]How do I install mods?
[S3-3]Skins and texture packs
[S3-4]Programs.

NOTE: Coltz One has said I can link to the MineCraft forum.

Mods are modifications to the game and can add, or modify something in the game. You can get most mods at the You must login or register to view this content..

[S3-2]How do I install Mods?

Step 1. Find a mod. For this tutorial I will use the cape mod. It can be found You must login or register to view this content.

Step 2. Download the mod and extract it. You should have a folder with some folders inside and some .class files.

Step 3. Goto your start menu and type run

Step 4. Inside that box type '%appdata%' minus the ' .

Step 5. If it takes to you a folder with the folders local locallow and roaming, click roaming. Usually it takes you to the folder you are in now straight away but its all good. Now click on the .minecraft folder. Click on the bin folder.

Step 6. Now find minecraft.jar. Copy it somewhere. Now that you have made a backup, right click>open with>winrar. It should look something like You must login or register to view this content.

Step 7. Now find the folder where the mod is. Select all the .class files and the folders and drag them into the winrar window. Click ok.

Step 8. Find the META-INF folder inside the minecraft.jar in winrar. Highlight and press your delete button.

Now exit out and play MineCraft and the mod should work.

NOTE: Some mods overlap eachother and will break the mod and usually the game. If your game doesn't load, replace the minecraft.jar you modded with the one you backed up earlier.

NOTE: Some mods require other mods to work. Always check the thread to see.

[S3-3]Skins and Texture Packs

Skins
Skins can be downloaded from anywhere. However the best source for skins is You must login or register to view this content.. Make sure you are logged into MineCraft.net then find a skin you want on that page. Now at the very right there is a download and a upload button. Press the one with the arrow pointing up. It will take you to the MineCraft website. Click Yes swap skin and hey presto your Beta skin is swapped!
Texture Packs
Texture packs change the skin of your MineCraft. You can get them from the You must login or register to view this content..
Step 1. Find the texture pack you want. For this, I will use You must login or register to view this content..

Step 2. Download it and extract it.

Step 3. Follow the same instructions for mods, drag all of the files in the texture pack into the minecraft.jar in win rar.

Step 4. Start up MineCraft!

NOTE: Just replace the old minecraft.jar with the new one to get rid of the pack.

[S3-4]Programs

There are lots of brilliant programs on the You must login or register to view this content. to assist you in MineCraft.

The best for editing your inventory is You must login or register to view this content. and the best to map is You must login or register to view this content.. Some others are You must login or register to view this content., You must login or register to view this content., You must login or register to view this content. and You must login or register to view this content.

[multipage=Survival Multi-Player (SMP)]
[S4]Survival Multi-Player (SMP)

[S4]Survival Mutli-Player (SMP)
[S4-1]What's SMP?

[S4-1]What's SMP?

SMP stands for Survival Multi-Player. If you bought beta, you can play mutliplayer. In the MineCraft menu, click Multiplayer. You then need to type in a IP for a server or a website. The NGU minecraft server address is nguminers.com (Thanks to Coltz)

Want to make your own server to mess around with friends do you? Well it's no easy task. It takes a bit of time but is worth it.

Follow the instructions on You must login or register to view this content. website.

[multipage=Other]
[S5]Other
[S5]Other
[S5-1]Useful Links
[S5-2]Change Log

[S5-1]Useful links

[S5-2]Change Log

The change log and version history can be found You must login or register to view this content..

[multipage=Speed Up MineCraft!]

Windows Only!

Start MineCraft, now press control alt delete and press task manager.

Now click processes and fin javaw.exe. Right click, set priority, high (realtime won't work for me, try it if you want).

Done, sped up MineCraft!
Last edited by Drake ; 01-30-2011 at 05:22 AM. Reason: Added speeding up MineCraft

The following 19 users say thank you to Drake for this useful post:

.Andy, Gaia, ρrodigyz, ChillChiefly96, Coltz-One, gola, Killakk, Joseph, Modus, Mr. Star, NeedaFlameSoon, nullerdk, Omshivam, Shieldsy, TheMagicPancake, trunk208, vladieboi, WilloVIP, xJackiiHD
01-23-2011, 07:08 AM #2
gola
OVER 9000!
Should multipage the thread, would make it alot better.
01-23-2011, 07:10 AM #3
ρrodigyz
Cool story bro!
really in depth :y:

Was wondering if you can kill the flying thingy in nether. Took me forever but i keep dieing.
01-23-2011, 07:11 AM #4
Drake
<3 SGC
Originally posted by Prodigyz View Post

Was wondering if you can kill the flying thingy in nether. Took me forever but i keep dieing.

Using mods and keeping it in a cage you could probably. Single player commands is the best mod.
01-23-2011, 07:24 AM #5
amazing, stuck.

The following user thanked Coltz-One for this useful post:

Omshivam
01-23-2011, 08:31 AM #6
Drake
<3 SGC
Originally posted by One View Post
amazing, stuck.

Will update when an update comes out.

---------- Post added at 06:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 PM ----------

Originally posted by Prodigyz View Post

There health is the same as a pig. I have all the health and damage stats for mobs, I think i'll add them.

---------- Post added at 07:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 PM ----------

Also, im thinking of adding pictures of each mob (including giants). Should I?
01-23-2011, 11:52 AM #7
gola
OVER 9000!
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZXEqiyCopM&feature=feedu[/ame]

I can make vids for anything if you want.

for example theres one i did really quickly for making basic tools and demonstrating their uses(feel free to add in thread)

I can make alot better ones too, that was just like 5 mins lol.
01-23-2011, 12:16 PM #8
Drake
<3 SGC
Originally posted by Adogalog View Post

I can make vids for anything if you want.

for example theres one i did really quickly for making basic tools and demonstrating their uses(feel free to add in thread)

I can make alot better ones too, that was just like 5 mins lol.

Yeh that would be good. But use the music from MineCraft.

Assuming your name is nick, C:\Users\Nick\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\resources\music

(Tis my name btw)

Make one on simple tools to start off.
01-23-2011, 01:39 PM #9
Gaia
Former Staff
Woah, didn't expect that much tutorials, good job on the tutorial, I reckon it should be stickied Winky Winky
01-23-2011, 01:57 PM #10
Drake
<3 SGC
Originally posted by Gaia View Post
Woah, didn't expect that much tutorials, good job on the tutorial, I reckon it should be stickied Winky Winky

I believe, it already is....YEAAAAAAAHHHHH

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo