Login | Register

If you're having login issues, please clear your cookies and cache!

Thread: Help Allocating More RAM to minecraft

wite_guy I-<3-2-1/2-6

Join Date Sep 2010

Posts 1,178

Membership Donator

07-15-2011 10:18 PM #1 Help Allocating More RAM to minecraft

I have followed a tutorial on how to allow minecraft more memory
    Code:
    This is just a small guide I made cause it's 3:30 AM, I have class in  the morning and I totally wanted to be against the establishment.

Disclaimer First:
    -Note: By reading this you expressedly agree to waive all rights to  bring to court the author of the post below. In continuing to read and  use this information you also agree that I am not legally liable for  what happens to your computer as a result of following any of these  instructions-

For now this is only for Windows XP (Windows 7 and Vista need minor  tweaks - see below). I'll add linux but most linux users know how to do  this anyway. Also mac users suck (o.O).

First figure out how much RAM (Random Access Memory) you have to work with.
    #1 Click the start button
    #2 Type into run: dxdiag
    #3 A window should load and it should say XXXX RAM.
    That's how much memory you have... congrats!

Now minecraft uses a default memory of 495Mbs, but you can allocate more. Here's how you do it (assuming you have more).

#1First create a .txt file in the same folder as your minecraft.exe.
    #2Then open that file.
    #3Type these two lines of text:

@ECHO OFF
    "Your java path here/javaw.exe" java -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -jar "Your minecraft path here/minecraft.exe"

#4Then save that file as a .bat file (aka Batch file). The way you do  this is in the menu, hit Save-As, click "All File Types" and then change  the name from XXX.txt to XXX.bat. The icon should change if you did it  correctly and you should be able to run it. Hit F3 to make sure the  allocated memory changed while running minecraft.

Below are some troubleshooting points and explanations:

The path needs to be exactly right for both your java path (for javaw.exe) and for your minecraft.exe.

If you are running 64bit or Windows 7 (which will sometimes default the java installation path)
    Your path will be under Program Files (x64)/Java/etc. 
    Also the javaw.exe will most likely be java6.exe (it depends)

An example path is given for XP:
    "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe"
    An example path is given for Vista/Windows 7:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe"

Explanation:
    Xmx is maximum memory allocated
    Xms is initial memory allocated
    You can use any number you want potentially.

Anything else you need clarified, leme know.

~Bio
    (And yes you did waive all your rights muwahahaa)

EDIT: Edited the command line
    And when i do that with the right paths My batch file opens and closes so fast i cant read it..

I want to know what i did wrong

Code:
    @ECHO OFF
    "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\javaw.exe" java -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -jar "C:\Users\Tyler\Desktop\Minecraft stuff\minecraft.exe"
    That is what i typed im on windows 7 32 bit.

I have skype if anybody can help contact me there or on here. I followed it EXACTLY how youre supposed to do it.
    Like My Band Please! [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] || Check out my Minecraft lets play [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] || Subscribe to me?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to wite_guy For This Useful Post:

erbisme4 Penn State '16

Join Date Sep 2010

Posts 1,270

Membership Donator

07-15-2011 10:24 PM #2

type pause at the bottom of the file thats doing that, for example
    @ECHO OFF
    "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\javaw.exe" java -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -jar "C:\Users\Tyler\Desktop\Minecraft stuff\minecraft.exe"
    pause

---------- Post added at 11:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by wite_guy View Post
    I have followed a tutorial on how to allow minecraft more memory
    Code:
    This is just a small guide I made cause it's 3:30 AM, I have class in  the morning and I totally wanted to be against the establishment.

Disclaimer First:
    -Note: By reading this you expressedly agree to waive all rights to  bring to court the author of the post below. In continuing to read and  use this information you also agree that I am not legally liable for  what happens to your computer as a result of following any of these  instructions-

For now this is only for Windows XP (Windows 7 and Vista need minor  tweaks - see below). I'll add linux but most linux users know how to do  this anyway. Also mac users suck (o.O).

First figure out how much RAM (Random Access Memory) you have to work with.
    #1 Click the start button
    #2 Type into run: dxdiag
    #3 A window should load and it should say XXXX RAM.
    That's how much memory you have... congrats!

Now minecraft uses a default memory of 495Mbs, but you can allocate more. Here's how you do it (assuming you have more).

#1First create a .txt file in the same folder as your minecraft.exe.
    #2Then open that file.
    #3Type these two lines of text:

@ECHO OFF
    "Your java path here/javaw.exe" java -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -jar "Your minecraft path here/minecraft.exe"

#4Then save that file as a .bat file (aka Batch file). The way you do  this is in the menu, hit Save-As, click "All File Types" and then change  the name from XXX.txt to XXX.bat. The icon should change if you did it  correctly and you should be able to run it. Hit F3 to make sure the  allocated memory changed while running minecraft.

Below are some troubleshooting points and explanations:

The path needs to be exactly right for both your java path (for javaw.exe) and for your minecraft.exe.

If you are running 64bit or Windows 7 (which will sometimes default the java installation path)
    Your path will be under Program Files (x64)/Java/etc. 
    Also the javaw.exe will most likely be java6.exe (it depends)

An example path is given for XP:
    "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe"
    An example path is given for Vista/Windows 7:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe"

Explanation:
    Xmx is maximum memory allocated
    Xms is initial memory allocated
    You can use any number you want potentially.

Anything else you need clarified, leme know.

~Bio
    (And yes you did waive all your rights muwahahaa)

EDIT: Edited the command line
    And when i do that with the right paths My batch file opens and closes so fast i cant read it..

I want to know what i did wrong

Code:
    @ECHO OFF
    That is what i typed im on windows 7 32 bit.

I have skype if anybody can help contact me there or on here. I followed it EXACTLY how youre supposed to do it.
    forgot to quote:D
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] || [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

wite_guy I-<3-2-1/2-6

Join Date Sep 2010

Posts 1,178

Membership Donator

07-15-2011 10:25 PM #3

-
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy. View Post
    type pause at the bottom of the file thats doing that, for example
    so i type
    Code:
    @ECHO OFF "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\javaw.exe" java -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -jar "C:\Users\Tyler\Desktop\Minecraft stuff\minecraft.exe"
    @PAUSE
    Like My Band Please! [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] || Check out my Minecraft lets play [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] || Subscribe to me?

erbisme4 Penn State '16

Join Date Sep 2010

Posts 1,270

Membership Donator

07-15-2011 10:27 PM #4

-

so i type
    Code:
    @ECHO OFF "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\javaw.exe" java -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -jar "C:\Users\Tyler\Desktop\Minecraft stuff\minecraft.exe"
    @PAUSE
    just pause at the end
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] || [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

wite_guy I-<3-2-1/2-6

Join Date Sep 2010

Posts 1,178

Membership Donator

07-15-2011 10:32 PM #5

just pause at the end
    so i type
    Code:
    @ECHO OFF "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\javaw.exe" java -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -jar "C:\Users\Tyler\Desktop\Minecraft stuff\minecraft.exe
    pause

erbisme4 Penn State '16

Join Date Sep 2010

Posts 1,270

Membership Donator

07-15-2011 10:35 PM #6

so i type
    Code:
    @ECHO OFF "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\javaw.exe" java -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -jar "C:\Users\Tyler\Desktop\Minecraft stuff\minecraft.exe
    pause
    yepp and then tell me if it works

wite_guy I-<3-2-1/2-6

Join Date Sep 2010

Posts 1,178

Membership Donator

07-15-2011 10:37 PM #7

yepp and then tell me if it works
    CProgram Files\java\jre6\javaw.exe is not known as a internal command or batch commant press any key to continue

erbisme4 Penn State '16

Join Date Sep 2010

Posts 1,270

Membership Donator

07-15-2011 10:43 PM #8

CProgram Files\java\jre6\javaw.exe is not known as a internal command or batch commant press any key to continue
    sounds like the path is wrong now becasue pause should prevent it from closing:P

wite_guy I-<3-2-1/2-6

Join Date Sep 2010

Posts 1,178

Membership Donator

07-15-2011 10:46 PM #9

sounds like the path is wrong now becasue pause should prevent it from closing:P
    Pause does i remembered that when you told me. But the path is correct On both of them

erbisme4 Penn State '16

Join Date Sep 2010

Posts 1,270

Membership Donator

07-15-2011 11:20 PM #10

Make sure you actually have that path too