Post: Microsoft announces purchase of Minecraft creator Mojang for $2.5 billion
09-15-2014, 02:31 PM #1
vRoyale
Are you high?
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Mojang, the Sweden-based developer of Minecraft, has been acquired by Microsoft for a fee of around $2.5 billion.

You must login or register to view this content.

Microsoft has confirmed the $2.5bn acquisition of Mojang, the video game development studio behind worldwide phenomenon Minecraft.

The deal was confirmed by Microsoft in a statement from Head of Xbox Phil Spencer, who said: "Today is an incredibly exciting day for our team as Mojang and the Minecraft franchise join Microsoft.

"Minecraft is one of the most popular video games of all time, with more than 100 million downloads, on PC alone, from players since its launch in 2009. Minecraft inspires millions to create together, connects people across the globe, and is a community that is among the most active and passionate in the world."

Microsoft promises to respect the brand and independent spirit of the game and carry on the tradition of innovation. The company also confirmed that Minecon will continue next year. Mojang said in a prepared statement that there is "no reason for the development, sales and support" for the other versions of the game to stop.

Meanwhile Mojang released a statement as well, answering some questions from fans and explaining the key reason for the sale. Markus 'Notch' Persson is the creator of Minecraft, co-founder of Mojang and its majority shareholder. As the statement explains: "Though we're massively proud of what Minecraft has become, it was never Notch's intention for it to get this big.

"As you might already know, Notch is the creator of Minecraft and the majority shareholder at Mojang. He's decided that he doesn't want the responsibility of owning a company of such global significance. Over the past few years he's made attempts to work on smaller projects, but the pressure of owning Minecraft became too much for him to handle."

The key question Mojang went on to answer regarding the purchase was relating to versions of Minecraft on platforms not created or controlled by Microsoft.

"There's no reason for the development, sales, and support of the PC/Mac, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4, Vita, iOS, and Android versions of Minecraft to stop," it reads. "Of course, Microsoft can't make decisions for other companies or predict the choices that they might make in the future."

The decision to go with Microsoft was driven by their belief that only a handful of potential buyers had the resources to grow Minecraft on a scale that it deserves.

The following 6 users say thank you to vRoyale for this useful post:

Dan Dactyl, Geo, Callumeleyy, Ihavedownsynd., Joel, reaperburns88
09-15-2014, 09:11 PM #2
Joel
[move]Sal:madsal::laim:[/move]
Well... Microsoft is gonna make it exclusive crapbox only lol.

The following 8 users say thank you to Joel for this useful post:

Agent Beast, Callumeleyy, KINGMANI, Mr Grumpy, nay1995, ResistTheJamsha, SC58, vRoyale
09-15-2014, 09:45 PM #3
zshred
[move]{420}[/move]
Originally posted by Joel View Post

Give them a chance...

The following user thanked zshred for this useful post:

vRoyale
09-15-2014, 09:57 PM #4

No, they are gonna bump up the price for some "extra" features and add-ons.

The following user thanked Taylors Bish for this useful post:

Callumeleyy
09-15-2014, 10:11 PM #5
nay1995
The Master

as soon as i heard, this is exactly what i said, they are money making whores, really pisses me off.
09-15-2014, 11:36 PM #6
Default Avatar
AK47
I see Bill Gates as the monopoly master buying all the houses.

The following 9 users say thank you to AK47 for this useful post:

iHaxel, Joel, KINGMANI, Maverick, RAB, ResistTheJamsha, vRoyale, xkoeckiiej
09-16-2014, 04:10 AM #7
Mr.Alfredo
Samurai Poster
2.5Billion... Dude is set for life.
09-16-2014, 06:03 AM #8
Originally posted by Mr.Alfredo View Post
2.5Billion... Dude is set for life.

his children's children's children's children's children's children are set for life

The following 3 users say thank you to Lim-its for this useful post:

Aseemtha, KINGMANI, MrRa1n
09-16-2014, 09:36 AM #9
iJosh
Quit, Bigger & Better Things
Originally posted by its View Post
his children's children's children's children's children's children are set for life

Not to mention the billions his already made off it
09-16-2014, 01:57 PM #10
Mr.Alfredo
Samurai Poster
Originally posted by its View Post

I'm taking my billions to the grave... Happy if I were him. :seriously:

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo