03-12-2015, 10:42 AM #1
Default Avatar
Brad
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); .
You must login or register to view this content.

Some of you have been eagerly researching into star citizen to find out the latest updates and improvements. Without question we knew from the beginning the game was going to be big, in game play and file size.

Jeremy Masker (director of game operations) has recently made a comment on the RSI forums that debunks a theory that the final game will be 30-40GB, saying “The size and number of assets that are left to deliver means that our client size is much more likely to be 100gb”. Jeremy makes it clear that users should not rely on compression to decrease the file size “The game compression and asset removal is unlikely to yield such high gains that we will be able to reduce our client size to 30-40gb”.

Each patch can be between 2-6gb, containing hundreds of assets, with some that can be up to 200mb each. “ if we end up doing a file type re-factor and have to re-download 30-40% of the assets on the hard-drive, then the patch will be 14-20gb.”

This news comes to a shock to those with slow internet speeds or strict data plans, possibly making it impossible for some to play the game.

What do you think of the predicted client size? Did you expected it? Please comment below.

Last edited by Brad ; 03-12-2015 at 10:50 AM.
03-12-2015, 11:01 AM #2
Nick
Who’s Jim Erased?
I actually kinda expected it, I don't know what else people thought? A Game this nice should be a big download size. I know Slow internet comes into factor with people on data caps like me on Comcast, But then you gotta decide what would you rather use your cap on either the same shit you seen on Netflix like 10 times or something like this game?
03-12-2015, 11:04 AM #3
Originally posted by Brad View Post

Some of you have been eagerly researching into star citizen to find out the latest updates and improvements. Without question we knew from the beginning the game was going to be big, in game play and file size.

Jeremy Masker (director of game operations) has recently made a comment on the RSI forums that debunks a theory that the final game will be 30-40GB, saying “The size and number of assets that are left to deliver means that our client size is much more likely to be 100gb”. Jeremy makes it clear that users should not rely on compression to decrease the file size “The game compression and asset removal is unlikely to yield such high gains that we will be able to reduce our client size to 30-40gb”.

Each patch can be between 2-6gb, containing hundreds of assets, with some that can be up to 200mb each. “ if we end up doing a file type re-factor and have to re-download 30-40% of the assets on the hard-drive, then the patch will be 14-20gb.”

This news comes to a shock to those with slow internet speeds or strict data plans, possibly making it impossible for some to play the game.

What do you think of the predicted client size? Did you expected it? Please comment below.

Where can we play this on? fastest PC in the world? dafuq
Sick game...
03-12-2015, 11:48 AM #4
Toke
PC Master Race
Originally posted by toni1 View Post
Sick game...

It runs on cryengine 3 if that means anything

The following user thanked Toke for this useful post:

03-12-2015, 12:07 PM #5
Originally posted by Toke View Post
It runs on cryengine 3 if that means anything

I have no idea what that is, i dont have a gaming computer
03-12-2015, 12:25 PM #6
ResistTheSun
In Flames Much?
Originally posted by toni1 View Post
Sick game...

For reference blue ray discs are 50Gb in size, so only double we have discs now which are 100Gb easy.
Big client does not mean you need a monster PC to run the game just it has a ton of high quality textures or content or both. Given the so called scale of content looks like a cross between a ton of content and high texture quality.
Game is running off the Cryengine 3 system which is a gaming engine known to push performance with some great visuals to boot.

This does mean that SDD users are going to need a update.
03-15-2015, 11:14 PM #7
Default Avatar
Oneup
Originally posted by ResistTheSun View Post
For reference blue ray discs are 50Gb in size, so only double we have discs now which are 100Gb easy.
Big client does not mean you need a monster PC to run the game just it has a ton of high quality textures or content or both. Given the so called scale of content looks like a cross between a ton of content and high texture quality.
Game is running off the Cryengine 3 system which is a gaming engine known to push performance with some great visuals to boot.

This does mean that SDD users are going to need a update.

Well it's been said that this game isn't being built with the present in mind but the future. So I wouldn't expect 100GB's to be the minimum. Considering the game isn't even done yet (nor does it look like it will any time soon) that drive space requirement is probably only to go up.

Honestly this to me isn't a big deal. Some new games are hitting the 50GB mark now.
03-15-2015, 11:31 PM #8
ResistTheSun
In Flames Much?
Originally posted by 1UP View Post
Well it's been said that this game isn't being built with the present in mind but the future. So I wouldn't expect 100GB's to be the minimum. Considering the game isn't even done yet (nor does it look like it will any time soon) that drive space requirement is probably only to go up.

Honestly this to me isn't a big deal. Some new games are hitting the 50GB mark now.

Based on what the studio has been talking about expecting the client to hit 200Gb.
100Gb is small for the scale shocked by the size I was thinking it would be way way higher.
03-19-2015, 02:41 AM #9
Honestly does not surprise me in the slightest, we all knew that Star Citizen was going to be a huge simulator from the beginning.
03-21-2015, 12:09 AM #10
Merki
Haxor!
I have a 1PB ssd so im fine.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo