07-24-2013, 06:23 PM #1
Herbal_T_Bag
You talkin to me?
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});
07-25-2013, 08:31 PM #2
ResistTheSun
In Flames Much?
PC gaming has some great mods that looks pretty decent. Wish more games would support it but do understand it causes a ton of legal issues.
07-26-2013, 01:34 PM #3
Default Avatar
Oneup
Originally posted by ResistTheSun View Post
PC gaming has some great mods that looks pretty decent. Wish more games would support it but do understand it causes a ton of legal issues.

Uh? There are alot of games that don't have official support for mods and mods exist for them. There are no legal ramifications either, at least I have yet to hear about on in the 15 years I've been playing pc games.
07-26-2013, 01:54 PM #4
ResistTheSun
In Flames Much?
Originally posted by UP View Post
Uh? There are alot of games that don't have official support for mods and mods exist for them. There are no legal ramifications either, at least I have yet to hear about on in the 15 years I've been playing pc games.

For a dev to release a modkit they need to get the legal clearing off the makers of the engine along with anything that's within that engine. A couple things they pay for like custom elements textures is one example also need to be cleared.
Yea most mods are unofficial I would like to see more official based ones, I was pointing out the reason why.
Also meant to be a business reason too. I take the view make better DLC people would pay for it over a free userbased one.

Was a story the other day of Minecraft being sent an email about a user made mod which I found funny. Going after the wrong person who made it.
07-26-2013, 02:45 PM #5
Default Avatar
Oneup
For a dev to release a modkit they need to get the legal clearing off the makers of the engine along with anything that's within that engine. A couple things they pay for like custom elements textures is one example also need to be cleared.
Yea most mods are unofficial I would like to see more official based ones, I was pointing out the reason why.
Also meant to be a business reason too. I take the view make better DLC people would pay for it over a free userbased one.

Was a story the other day of Minecraft being sent an email about a user made mod which I found funny. Going after the wrong person who made it.

I think DLC in general needs to go away. There was a point where it made sense, basically what expansion packs were, but now you buy a game on day one and there is day 1 DLC which is just content that was originally in the game and they just removed it to make a few extra bucks.

More or less just frustrating when they consider a new costume or 2 maps as content. It's not
07-26-2013, 03:29 PM #6
ResistTheSun
In Flames Much?
I think DLC in general needs to go away. There was a point where it made sense, basically what expansion packs were, but now you buy a game on day one and there is day 1 DLC which is just content that was originally in the game and they just removed it to make a few extra bucks.

More or less just frustrating when they consider a new costume or 2 maps as content. It's not

DLC is a cool idea just badly done for a number of reasons and over priced.

New maps for $50 is a no little or no work to make them also overpriced as hell. Most DLC makes use of the art team over take content away. Art team are not busy near the end of a game,
A content of content using assets or a new take on said IP is great. Also allows devs to play around with ideas in a mini AAA format blood dragon is a good example of this.
Just think it's time for a change in how we view DLC.
07-26-2013, 03:55 PM #7
Default Avatar
Oneup
DLC is a cool idea just badly done for a number of reasons and over priced.

New maps for $50 is a no little or no work to make them also overpriced as hell. Most DLC makes use of the art team over take content away. Art team are not busy near the end of a game,
A content of content using assets or a new take on said IP is great. Also allows devs to play around with ideas in a mini AAA format blood dragon is a good example of this.
Just think it's time for a change in how we view DLC.

I am assuming english isn't your native language because this seemed really hard to understand what you are getting at.
07-26-2013, 04:55 PM #8
ResistTheSun
In Flames Much?
Originally posted by 1
I am assuming English isn't your native language because this seemed really hard to understand what you are getting at.

Game publishers have been using DLC as a business model to get more money for less effort. Understandable the money needed to make a game it's a pretty big investment risk. Some game studios have done this also with skin packs or item packs.
Most DLC is made often at later stages of a game when the art team is not that busy. See COD map packs most of the assets are completed they are working on the first set of DLC about 4 months before release. It's a waste of money to be paying the art team when they are doing nothing.
As a result most of the game is finished at that period of time any content made for the DLC is not cut from the game. Some people buy DLC content is cut content that not true some titles have done that, Capcom had a couple games with the so called DLC being locked on the disc.
It's for this reason why map packs have become common , the overall pricing is too high for the effort needed to produce. It costs something like $150,000 to make a map pack but yet they charge 50% of the price of the disc. Cost to produce a AAA title is something like $1Million to 150Million.

Due to having a set of assets along with a working game engine, Devs could take a spin on a new IP without the costs of producing a major title. Or even a spin on a current IP without much money being spent on the project.
A good example is Far cry 3 blood dragon , it takes the assets from far cry 3 puts a new spin on it and at a low price point. It was a success the company said they would try something like that in the future. You get hours of content for $20 vs a $15 no effort map pack.
You can tell it took a little bit more effort due to being released much later compared to map pack DLCs.

My point was that DLC does not need to go away it can provide some great experiences.
Lazy no effort DLC used to give the art team something to do has to die. Or content pricing for these lazy DLC should be returned by a ton.
If people keep buying it why stop right ?
Problem is customers get sick of being taken for a fool, it's bad business practise that in the long term is going to die.
Customers have already proved they want to have their favourite titles but these mini risk based titles on top.
With the cost of making a game going up I expect more studios to do these mini AAA titles in the future I hope so because it a great concept.

Short version : We need to return to it being a expansion over a texture pack and maps should be cheaper.
07-28-2013, 11:31 PM #9
Default Avatar
Oneup

Problem is customers get sick of being taken for a fool,

Sadly I don't think that's true, if that was people wouldn't be buying into the next call of duty or battlefield game.
08-06-2013, 01:14 AM #10
SPHeisenberg
Save Point

DLC is the reason why EA was voted the worst company in the US.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo