Login | Register

If you're having login issues, please clear your cookies and cache!

Results 31 to 40 of 56

Thread: {Tutorial} How to PROPERLY do a Data Transfer


  1. iTruceFret's Avatar

    iTruceFret From now on, call me DRAGON.

    Join Date Jan 2011

    Posts 3,322

    Membership Elite

    Reputation: 17312

    05-20-2011 08:06 PM #1 {Tutorial} How to PROPERLY do a Data Transfer

    Alright so I've found A LOT of confusion, questions, stupid/pointless threads on how to do a Data Transfer. It's VERY simple.
    I can upload a video if need be. It'll be recorded from my phone, with decent quality. SO! Here we go.

    1:Make sure BOTH PS3's are internet DISABLED.

    2: Both systems should be OFF when doing this next step. Simply use an Ethernet Cable and plug it into BOTH PS3 systems. Your PS3 system should have come with a yellow Ethernet Cable, or, you can go to your router, and use that Ethernet Cable. (ya know, the one that is plugged into the router to the computer?) :P


    3: Turn on both systems.

    4: It doesn't matter which one you do first, as I've found out, which ever is easier for you. On either PS3, you should have both plugged into your TV, obviously. One with an HDMI cord, and the other with an AVCHD (wtfe it's called) {The standard connection it comes with} so that way, you can switch screens on your TV. Or if you prefer, two HDMI cables. Whatever.


    5: Now on which ever console you choose to do first, preferably the one you're transferring the information over to, example, you're wanting to transfer your MW2 patch on your CFW 3.55 over to your 3.61. On your CFW 3.55 system from the XMB, go to Settings>System Settings>Data Transfer Utility.

    6: Click on you want to transfer this shit over to the other system. It'll ask you disable your account, wtfe you might want to do. If you want to do this, DO IT. Because once it's transferred, EVERYTHING will be deleted. Your game saves, etc will be ERASED. Just save it to a USB flash drive, and you'll be good. Then once you get to the setting where it asks you to press ok, SWITCH SCREENS. DON'T PRESS X YET!!!!

    7: Go back to the other screen with your 3.61 firmware, and do the same as above. From the XMB, go to Settings>System Settings>Data Transfer Utility. Select the SECOND OPTION. You want to receive the shit from your CFW 3.55 system. Obviously. BUT DON'T PRESS X YET ON THAT ONE EITHER!!!!

    8: Here's where it gets tricky. Here's where 90% of people will fail, and the Ethernet Cable WILL NOT be recognized. I have both controllers in my hands, so it's ok. I know which one is connected to which console, and I suggest you do too, or you'll just **** up.

    9: Using the controller for the 3.55 CFW system, press X.

    10: IMMEDIATELY after pressing X, press X on the other controller. (The 3.61 firmware) Maybe wait about 1 second before pressing.

    ****NOTE**** It will tell you to switch screens to choose the settings you desire, but no. It will timeout before you are able to do this. Make DAMN sure you know your PSN E-Mail and Password, because these will be DELETED. You'll have to register with PSN again using an existing PSN account. :megusta:

    Swap the screen back to the firmware 3.61 system, and watch it. See if it tells you that before you complete the transfer, the system will have to do a system restore. (It flies by, depending on what you have on the 3.55 system) Click yes, then click yes again, and you're good to go.

    What I HAVE noticed, after many, frustrating attempts, it sometimes recognizes, and sometimes it doesn't. If it doesn't, turn both systems off, and just replug your Ethernet Cable back into the back, and start over. It's very easy guys, I promise. It just sometimes doesn't recognize, and you get pissed off! It might take a few tries before you get it, but once you do, a sigh of relief will come, I promise. If you're still confused, send me a message to make a video. Once it clicks, you'll be Data Transferring with no problems. Just don't get pissed off, and throw your controller out the window. It might fail the first few tries, but it WILL work. Simple, easy to follow. The other tutorials I found while trying to figure it out were stupid, and just told you go to your System Settings, and do it that way. No. There's tricks involved. I hope this helps you guys out, and instead of doing the complicated spoofer to get online and play your MW2 mods, just go find another PS3, and keep it updated. It's the best way to go.

    Here are some questions I seen mentioned in the comments:

    1) will i need to activate the map packs again? Map Packs- I've looked, and searched, and nothing. All I could find was IF you lose a map pack/ forget your PSN information, you are able to re-download the map pack up to 5 times. I think the map pack is saved via the PSN User Name. Since you're not changing HDD's, you'll have to re-install your Map Packs.

    2) will it transfer all my accounts? NO. You'll lose your PSN accounts, along with game saves. You'll have to go back into PSN, and just simply select 'Use an existing account.' Simple.

    3) will it transfer my pictures? Do you REALLY have THAT many pictures that you can't just put them back on your USB flash drive? :megusta: Come on man. If the pictures aren't on your 3.55 system, then you might lose them, you might not. I might just copy a picture over, and see if it'll transfer. It probably won't, as my 3.61 console had a shit load of music, and when completing the Data Transfer, all of the music was gone. :FU:

    4) i got the map packs of my m8 & i dont want to transfer because all the kids keep lying & say random shit about map packs deactivating, is it true? Once again this is targeted towards Question 1. I suggest keep googling, or go to Sony's website, and see if they state on whether or not your DLC Map Packs will be saved. Always a chance, but then again, it's ok. If it doesn't transfer your Map Pack over, which I'm pretty sure it wouldn't, just sign back up with your old PSN Username, and re-download it. (You are able to download a Map Pack after purchase up to 5 times.) And since you got yours for free, I just can't say 100%. I know you lose EVERYTHING on the 3.61. You could also give Sony a call, and see what they tell you. They know more about the DLC Map Pack shit then I do. ;D

    Here's something mentioned by Rainbow_Dash. Credit for finding this out for me, and all of you goes to him. =)
    I've data transferred alot so heres a few bits of extra info. Yes you loose map packs UNLESS you install the .pkg on the 3.55, transfer it over and go on your PSN account with the Map Pack Press X to start the download and immediately after tap Circle as fast as you can and press Yes to Cancel the download, the Map Pack is now activated and can be used without Re-downloading or you can use a modded patch for said map pack.

    /end_stupidity_of_complicated_pointless_Data_Transf er_threads

    :fyea:
    Last edited by [MOD]iTruceFret; 06-30-2011 at 05:19 PM.
    "Everybody is a Genius, But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid" -Albert Einstein

  2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to iTruceFret For This Useful Post:


  3. Arman M.'s Avatar

    Arman M. uJelly?

    Join Date Mar 2011

    Posts 472

    Membership Elite Founder

    Reputation: 2842

    05-28-2011 04:36 AM #31


    Helped a lot ty!

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Arman M. For This Useful Post:


  5. Rainbow Dash's Avatar

    Rainbow Dash Now 20% Cooler

    Join Date Jul 2010

    Posts 1,173

    Membership Donator

    Reputation: 696

    05-28-2011 05:31 AM #32

    Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken_Truce View Post
    Alright so I've found A LOT of confusion, questions, stupid/pointless threads on how to do a Data Transfer. It's VERY simple.
    I can upload a video if need be. It'll be recorded from my phone, with decent quality. SO! Here we go.

    1:Make sure BOTH PS3's are internet DISABLED.

    2: Both systems should be OFF when doing this next step. Simply use an Ethernet Cable and plug it into BOTH PS3 systems. Your PS3 system should have come with a yellow Ethernet Cable, or, you can go to your router, and use that Ethernet Cable. (ya know, the one that is plugged into the router to the computer?) :P


    3: Turn on both systems.

    4: It doesn't matter which one you do first, as I've found out, which ever is easier for you. On either PS3, you should have both plugged into your TV, obviously. One with an HDMI cord, and the other with an AVCHD (wtfe it's called) {The standard connection it comes with} so that way, you can switch screens on your TV. Or if you prefer, two HDMI cables. Whatever.


    5: Now on which ever console you choose to do first, preferably the one you're transferring the information over to, example, you're wanting to transfer your MW2 patch on your CFW 3.55 over to your 3.61. On your CFW 3.55 system from the XMB, go to Settings>System Settings>Data Transfer Utility.

    6: Click on you want to transfer this shit over to the other system. It'll ask you disable your account, wtfe you might want to do. If you want to do this, DO IT. Because once it's transferred, EVERYTHING will be deleted. Your game saves, etc will be ERASED. Just save it to a USB flash drive, and you'll be good. Then once you get to the setting where it asks you to press ok, SWITCH SCREENS. DON'T PRESS X YET!!!!

    7: Go back to the other screen with your 3.61 firmware, and do the same as above. From the XMB, go to Settings>System Settings>Data Transfer Utility. Select the SECOND OPTION. You want to receive the shit from your CFW 3.55 system. Obviously. BUT DON'T PRESS X YET ON THAT ONE EITHER!!!!

    8: Here's where it gets tricky. Here's where 90% of people will fail, and the Ethernet Cable WILL NOT be recognized. I have both controllers in my hands, so it's ok. I know which one is connected to which console, and I suggest you do too, or you'll just **** up.

    9: Using the controller for the 3.55 CFW system, press X.

    10: IMMEDIATELY after pressing X, press X on the other controller. (The 3.61 firmware) Maybe wait about 1 second before pressing.

    ****NOTE**** It will tell you to switch screens to choose the settings you desire, but no. It will timeout before you are able to do this. Make DAMN sure you know your PSN E-Mail and Password, because these will be DELETED. You'll have to register with PSN again using an existing PSN account. :megusta:

    Swap the screen back to the firmware 3.61 system, and watch it. See if it tells you that before you complete the transfer, the system will have to do a system restore. (It flies by, depending on what you have on the 3.55 system) Click yes, then click yes again, and you're good to go.

    What I HAVE noticed, after many, frustrating attempts, it sometimes recognizes, and sometimes it doesn't. If it doesn't, turn both systems off, and just replug your Ethernet Cable back into the back, and start over. It's very easy guys, I promise. It just sometimes doesn't recognize, and you get pissed off! It might take a few tries before you get it, but once you do, a sigh of relief will come, I promise. If you're still confused, send me a message to make a video. Once it clicks, you'll be Data Transferring with no problems. Just don't get pissed off, and throw your controller out the window. It might fail the first few tries, but it WILL work. Simple, easy to follow. The other tutorials I found while trying to figure it out were stupid, and just told you go to your System Settings, and do it that way. No. There's tricks involved. I hope this helps you guys out, and instead of doing the complicated spoofer to get online and play your MW2 mods, just go find another PS3, and keep it updated. It's the best way to go.

    Here are some questions I seen mentioned in the comments:

    1) will i need to activate the map packs again? Map Packs- I've looked, and searched, and nothing. All I could find was IF you lose a map pack/ forget your PSN information, you are able to re-download the map pack up to 5 times. I think the map pack is saved via the PSN User Name. Since you're not changing HDD's, you'll have to re-install your Map Packs.

    2) will it transfer all my accounts? NO. You'll lose your PSN accounts, along with game saves. You'll have to go back into PSN, and just simply select 'Use an existing account.' Simple.

    3) will it transfer my pictures? Do you REALLY have THAT many pictures that you can't just put them back on your USB flash drive? :megusta: Come on man. If the pictures aren't on your 3.55 system, then you might lose them, you might not. I might just copy a picture over, and see if it'll transfer. It probably won't, as my 3.61 console had a shit load of music, and when completing the Data Transfer, all of the music was gone. :FU:

    4) i got the map packs of my m8 & i dont want to transfer because all the kids keep lying & say random shit about map packs deactivating, is it true? Once again this is targeted towards Question 1. I suggest keep googling, or go to Sony's website, and see if they state on whether or not your DLC Map Packs will be saved. Always a chance, but then again, it's ok. If it doesn't transfer your Map Pack over, which I'm pretty sure it wouldn't, just sign back up with your old PSN Username, and re-download it. (You are able to download a Map Pack after purchase up to 5 times.) And since you got yours for free, I just can't say 100%. I know you lose EVERYTHING on the 3.61. You could also give Sony a call, and see what they tell you. They know more about the DLC Map Pack shit then I do. ;D

    /end_stupidity_of_complicated_pointless_Data_Transf er_threads

    :fyea:
    I've data transferred alot so heres a few bits of extra info. Yes you loose map packs UNLESS you install the .pkg on the 3.55, transfer it over and go on your PSN account with the Map Pack Press X to start the download and immediately after tap Circle as fast as you can and press Yes to Cancel the download, the Map Pack is now activated and can be used without Re-downloading or you can use a modded patch for said map pack.


    Drack was here. The game.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rainbow Dash For This Useful Post:


  7. PressXForSex's Avatar

    PressXForSex I hate the Ford Focus

    Join Date Sep 2010

    Posts 958

    Membership Donator

    Reputation: 2442

    06-14-2011 01:13 PM #33 Help!!!!!!!!!!

    Ok so im on 3.55.1 rebug and i was able to system link all up till yesterday i keep trying ive tried different ethernet cables. It just keep giving me this error "An ethernet cable is not connected or the other ps3 is not turned on." ive been trying for soo long and i cant get it to work HELP!!!!!!!!!


  8. iTruceFret's Avatar

    iTruceFret From now on, call me DRAGON.

    Join Date Jan 2011

    Posts 3,322

    Membership Elite

    Reputation: 17312

    06-30-2011 05:17 PM #34

    Quote Originally Posted by Odoerfer View Post
    Ok so im on 3.55.1 rebug and i was able to system link all up till yesterday i keep trying ive tried different ethernet cables. It just keep giving me this error "An ethernet cable is not connected or the other ps3 is not turned on." ive been trying for soo long and i cant get it to work HELP!!!!!!!!!
    Sometimes, the problem lies is very, very simple. The standard, typical yellow Ethernet Cable was what I found out to be the most pain in the ass. I found out that the 50+ foot Ethernet cord I had hooked up after I moved, works perfectly fine. It gave me the least hassle, and not all of these steps are required to make it successful. It's actually easier.
    So just try to follow the tutorial by each step. I've said I'll create a video with shit quality through my phone, but I've moved, and I have no one to hold it, or I could make my own ghetto-fied stand to hold the phone while I did it, but I'm too damn lazy.
    "Everybody is a Genius, But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid" -Albert Einstein

  9. PressXForSex's Avatar

    PressXForSex I hate the Ford Focus

    Join Date Sep 2010

    Posts 958

    Membership Donator

    Reputation: 2442

    06-30-2011 08:38 PM #35

    Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken_Truce View Post
    Sometimes, the problem lies is very, very simple. The standard, typical yellow Ethernet Cable was what I found out to be the most pain in the ass. I found out that the 50+ foot Ethernet cord I had hooked up after I moved, works perfectly fine. It gave me the least hassle, and not all of these steps are required to make it successful. It's actually easier.
    So just try to follow the tutorial by each step. I've said I'll create a video with shit quality through my phone, but I've moved, and I have no one to hold it, or I could make my own ghetto-fied stand to hold the phone while I did it, but I'm too damn lazy.
    It wasnt tht it was i needed to update it ^.^


  10. iTruceFret's Avatar

    iTruceFret From now on, call me DRAGON.

    Join Date Jan 2011

    Posts 3,322

    Membership Elite

    Reputation: 17312

    06-30-2011 08:47 PM #36

    Quote Originally Posted by Odoerfer View Post
    It wasnt tht it was i needed to update it ^.^
    lol really? Yeah the up-to-date PS3 needs to be on 3.66. But with PSN undergoing maintenance tonight, there might be a new release soon.
    "Everybody is a Genius, But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid" -Albert Einstein

  11. axerer6 French Fries

    Join Date Nov 2010

    Posts 20

    Membership Donator

    Reputation: 20

    07-03-2011 12:20 PM #37

    This helped alot! Ty

  12. fastcar0605s's Avatar

    fastcar0605s French Fries

    Join Date Feb 2010

    Posts 22

    Membership Donator

    Reputation: 10

    07-05-2011 12:17 PM #38 data transfer

    hi i have backed my hard drive ready to transfer a couple of modded patches over from my cfw 3.55 to my ofw 3.66.
    once i have done the transfer and got the patches sorted will restoring my hard drive on 3.66 wipe the the patches?

    thanks

  13. iTruceFret's Avatar

    iTruceFret From now on, call me DRAGON.

    Join Date Jan 2011

    Posts 3,322

    Membership Elite

    Reputation: 17312

    07-05-2011 07:29 PM #39

    Quote Originally Posted by fastcar0605s View Post
    hi i have backed my hard drive ready to transfer a couple of modded patches over from my cfw 3.55 to my ofw 3.66.
    once i have done the transfer and got the patches sorted will restoring my hard drive on 3.66 wipe the the patches?

    thanks
    Try to quote me so I know to come back. And no. It won't delete the MW2 patches. As you might know, this is the only way to transfer different patches to your OFW PS3 system. You can transfer several patchesa day if you wish. Just keep in mind that you will have to register for PSN each time you do this feat though.
    "Everybody is a Genius, But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid" -Albert Einstein

  14. fastcar0605s's Avatar

    fastcar0605s French Fries

    Join Date Feb 2010

    Posts 22

    Membership Donator

    Reputation: 10

    07-06-2011 02:43 AM #40

    Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken_Truce View Post
    Try to quote me so I know to come back. And no. It won't delete the MW2 patches. As you might know, this is the only way to transfer different patches to your OFW PS3 system. You can transfer several patchesa day if you wish. Just keep in mind that you will have to register for PSN each time you do this feat though.
    thanks man slightly of topic here but can i restore parts of the back up or is it the full deal as ive never done a back up restore before.
    thanks again

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •