Post: Sony to push for 16 million PS4 shipments in 2013, say sources
03-06-2013, 08:34 AM #1
xLew--
Former Staff
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); You must login or register to view this content.

Having high hopes on its Playstation 4 (PS4) game console, Sony internally expects the machine's annual shipments to reach 16 million units in 2013 with the supply chain expected to start mass shipments in August, according to sources from PS4 component makers.

The sources pointed out that the PS4 will be manufactured by Foxconn Electronics (Hon Hai Precision Industry) and Pegatron Technology, and the player have just begun the processes of request for quotation (RFQ) for the related components. Therefore, the component shipments are unlikely to start until August, but should allow the machine to show up before the year-end holidays in 2013.

Sony shipped a total of 150 million Playstation 2s and 100 million Playstations and has shipped 77 million Playstation 3s over the past seven years.

----

Could we see a global release?

Take this info with a pinch of salt, who knows. if this is true they are more than likely to release first in the us as it has the most people which will get a huge amount of sales to break the streak of xbox. We can only hope that its a global release and the other region mainly EU arent shafted again!

What are your thoughts?

The following 2 users say thank you to xLew-- for this useful post:

CrazyWhyteBoy42, Sabotage
03-06-2013, 12:26 PM #2
Danoptic
Do a barrel roll!
Hmm sounds reasonable

I hope it is a global release
I don't want to wait until next year if US is playing on it already
03-06-2013, 06:55 PM #3
xLew--
Former Staff
yeah same, although itlll really add to the hype of when i get it
03-06-2013, 07:22 PM #4
cant wait for this! they might need more though, lol
03-07-2013, 01:07 AM #5
VLR
Grunt
Maybe by the end of the financial year is a more realistic target.
03-07-2013, 01:18 AM #6
Originally posted by xLew
You must login or register to view this content.

Having high hopes on its Playstation 4 (PS4) game console, Sony internally expects the machine's annual shipments to reach 16 million units in 2013 with the supply chain expected to start mass shipments in August, according to sources from PS4 component makers.

The sources pointed out that the PS4 will be manufactured by Foxconn Electronics (Hon Hai Precision Industry) and Pegatron Technology, and the player have just begun the processes of request for quotation (RFQ) for the related components. Therefore, the component shipments are unlikely to start until August, but should allow the machine to show up before the year-end holidays in 2013.

Sony shipped a total of 150 million Playstation 2s and 100 million Playstations and has shipped 77 million Playstation 3s over the past seven years.

----

Could we see a global release?

Take this info with a pinch of salt, who knows. if this is true they are more than likely to release first in the us as it has the most people which will get a huge amount of sales to break the streak of xbox. We can only hope that its a global release and the other region mainly EU arent shafted again!

What are your thoughts?

Why aren't you a reporter? :think:
03-07-2013, 07:33 PM #7
xLew--
Former Staff
Originally posted by Kazam
Why aren't you a reporter? :think:

i tried to become one for the ps3 section ages ago when i used to post loads of stuff, but apparrently i cant ask :/ id love to become one for sourcing official ps4 news etc

it wouldnt happen though :(
03-08-2013, 12:18 AM #8
ResistTheSun
In Flames Much?
Sales won't be that high by the end of 2013. So I doubt they can hit 16 million within that period of time. Maybe 16 million over the course of a year is more likely. But 16 million within a couple weeks looks very unlikely.
03-08-2013, 01:46 PM #9
Keomo
Can’t trickshot me!
They probably expect to sell that much, but im predicting that they will start out somewhere around 10 million shipments.

Thats a reasonable area i suppose, but they're desperate to go against microsoft lol.
03-09-2013, 10:04 AM #10
Originally posted by RTS View Post
Sales won't be that high by the end of 2013. So I doubt they can hit 16 million within that period of time. Maybe 16 million over the course of a year is more likely. But 16 million within a couple weeks looks very unlikely.

Depends on 3 things really, I'll list them in order.

1) Marketing (They NEED to do a great job at this)
2) Price point (People will NOT buy a console in droves if it is over $550, might push it at $500 which I see as the price)
3) Game line-up (Not only do they need to reverse what the PS3 launch was like, they need to do Step one for the games as well)

If they do good those three things then they MAY be able to go past that. Smile

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo