07-22-2015, 12:23 PM #1
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});
I have made this thread to help you guys with (what you think is) a dead ps3

So lets get started

Yellow light*

The yellow light is a light that indicates a hardware problem, mostly associated with a overheating problem. The yellow light of death could also indicate a missing transistor, broken link path on the board or a broken diode on the motherboard

Green light*

The green light is to mainly indicate that there is a problem with your RSX chip and it is not making contact with with the heat sink properly. This could also indicate a cracked solder ball or a melted solder joint. This also indicates a problem with your HDD.

Red light*

The red light indicates a power problem it also indicates damaged hardware such as heat damaged ram chip or even fried cell/rsx chip

A solid non flashing red light is due to a fried cell chip. Can happen with fried rsx chip too but mainly associated with cell. It can also be caused by way to much power consumption. Some games can cause this to happen

Why they flash.

Yellow light*

The yellow light has 2 signs. Sign #1: A quick flash of the yellow light shortly followed by a flashing red light is a overheating problem. Sign#2: A constant flash then followed by a flashing red light indicates a hardware fault like damaged hardware etc.

Red light*

When the red light flashes it indicates a psu related problem upon start up. It can also indicate a heat related problem. Also a water damaged board or even a ram related issue.

PS3 Off, then switched on - 3 Beeps - Flashing Red Light = Component Failure/Overheating*/Harddrive Failure.

Green light

The green light flash followed by console switch off is due to a fault with the hdd.
PS3 on Standby, Red Light, sensor/button pressed, brief Green Light, no lights, Red Light - Internal Component Failure(Similar to YLOD).

Green,Yellow then Red

This is caused by a surge. This can normally happen when you get thermal paste on the boards components or on the board it self. This in fact damages the ps3 and (in extreme cases) make your ps3 unusable. Remember thermal paste conducts electricity. This can also be caused by water damage.

Stuck on standby/Alternate Flashing Red/Green lights - Component Failure/Overheating

I hope this helps you guys. If you feel i have made mistakes or is incorrect in places please feel free to let me know or even teach me a few things Winky Winky
Last edited by Coffee Bean ; 07-25-2015 at 11:29 AM.

The following 8 users say thank you to Coffee Bean for this useful post:

allant, Danny, Geo, ResistTheSun, Sen, TheFreakyClown, Vinny
07-22-2015, 04:28 PM #2
Awesome thread bro Smile
07-22-2015, 06:21 PM #3
Originally posted by xmodzlikethisx View Post
Awesome thread bro Smile

Thanks dude Happy
07-22-2015, 06:36 PM #4
Sen
:usa: :usa:
Originally posted by Coffee
I have made this thread to help you guys with (what you think is) a dead ps3

So lets get started

Yellow light*

The yellow light is a light that indicates a hardware problem, mostly associated with a overheating problem. The yellow light of death could also indicate a missing transistor, broken link path on the board or a broken diode on the motherboard

Green light*

The green light is to mainly indicate that there is a problem with your RSX chip and it is not making contact with with the heat sink properly. This could also indicate a cracked solder ball or a melted solder joint. This also indicates a problem with your HDD.

Red light*

The red light indicates a power problem it also indicates damaged hardware such as heat damaged ram chip or even fried cell/rsx chip

Why they flash.

Yellow light*

The yellow light has 2 signs. Sign #1: A quick flash of the yellow light shortly followed by a flashing red light is a overheating problem. Sign#2: A constant flash then followed by a flashing red light indicates a hardware fault like damaged hardware etc.

Red light*

When the red light flashes it indicates a psu related problem upon start up. It can also indicate a heat related problem. Also a water damaged board or even a ram related issue

I hope this helps you guys. If you feel i have made mistakes or is incorrect in places please feel free to let me know or even teach me a few things Winky Winky

I was about to post a thread similar to this but i guess I'm too late Cool Troll
Useful thread Coffee Bean.
07-22-2015, 06:39 PM #5
Originally posted by Sen View Post
I was about to post a thread similar to this but i guess I'm too late Cool Troll
Useful thread Coffee Bean.

Haha Thanks dude Happy
07-24-2015, 01:55 AM #6
Danny
Hurah!
This should be stickied , great post!

The following user thanked Danny for this useful post:

Coffee Bean
07-24-2015, 04:32 PM #7
Originally posted by Danny View Post
This should be stickied , great post!

Thanks Happy