Post: How To Customize Your CFW XMB; Icons, App Names, Category Names
05-07-2011, 02:06 PM #1
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Please note that I did this on Rebug 3.55.1 CFW, so it may be(although I doubt it) a little different on different CFWs.

You must login or register to view this content.

WARNING: IF YOU SCREW THIS UP YOU CAN POTENTIALLY BRICK YOUR CONSOLE, AND I WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE. ALWAYS FOLLOW THE TUTORIAL AND IF IN DOUBT, ASK FOR HELP OR TURN BACK!

[multipage=Pics!]

PICS!

[multipage=Custom User Icons]

Custom User Icons

Required; dev_blind, FTP/file manager.

1. Run dev_blind and mount.
2. Start your FTP app, and whatever you use to access it remotely.
3. Navigate to- /dev_blind/vsh/resource/explore/user/.
4. Place any icons you want in this folder, and I *THINK* based off of my terrible memory the default image size & format is 162x162 PNG. Other sizes will work but they won't look too great.
5. Exit your FTP app, go to "user" and change any icons you like, easy as that =D

[multipage=Modifying XMB Category Names]

Modifying XMB Category Names

Required; dev_blind, FTP/file manager, rcomage, any .XML viewer(wordpad is fine).

3. Navigate to- /dev_blind/vsh/resource/.
4. Copy "explore_plugin_full" to your desktop(or wherever you can easily access it).
5. Start rcomage, and under "RCO Input" browse to the file you just copied from the PS3. Under "XML Output" browse to wherever you want to save the files you're about to edit(preferably somewhere easy to access), and make sure "Resources" is pointed to the same folder, it should be automatically anyway but it's always worth checking.
6. Keep "Separate resource types into separate folders" checked, but un-check all 4 of the other boxes. Now hit Dump.
It should look something like this.

7. Go to wherever you saved your XML Output and Resources and go into the "Text" folder and open "English.XML".
8. Now edit category names from line 4 right the way down to line 14. Feel free to edit anything else in this entire .XML, however be warned that any screw-ups on your part could result in a very easy brick. When finished, save the file.
Modify what's in bold safely, modify anything else with caution and at your own risk.

9. Now go back into rcomage and enter the "Compile" tab. Browse to the XML Output you saved earlier(the one from step 5, NOT English.XML). Browse to wherever you wish to save your new .RCO, and name it "explore_plugin_full". For Header Compression click on "Zlib", and leave the boxes below it alone. Now hit Compile.
It should look more-or-less like this.

10. Browse to and save the new .RCO via your FTP to /dev_blind/vsh/resource/, overwriting the old one(at this point I recommend keeping a backup of the old one, just in-case).
11. Exit your FTP program and hopefully all went well! If not, post below with your problem and I'll try my best to help :bro:

[multipage=Custom Fonts]

Custom Fonts

1. Go to any popular fonts website on the web and download a font in .TIFF format.
2. Make 2 copies of that downloaded font, rename 1 copy "SCE-PS3-SR-R-LATIN" and the other "SCE-PS3-SR-R-LATIN2".
3. Run dev_blind and mount.
4. Start your FTP app, and whatever you use to access it remotely.
5. Navigate to- /dev_blind/data/font.
6. Copy both fonts to this directory, overwriting the 2 that are already there.
7. Exit your FTP app and go to Theme Settings, then change the font to "Rounded".
8. Enjoy your new custom font! Also note that occasionally changing your theme will reset your font to the original, so just go back into theme settings and manually set it to "Rounded" again :y:

[multipage=Credits]

Credits go to whoever first posted on the web regarding modfying XMLs, and whoever else may have come up with any of this first(if anyone did I couldn't find it through a lengthy Google search haha, the only exception being custom fonts which I take no credit for). I didn't copy/paste any of this however I don't care whether I came up with it first so feel free to take credit for it, I'm just helping out the community! :y:

[multipage=More coming soon.]

More coming soon.
Last edited by Clutch Hunterr ; 06-01-2011 at 08:11 PM.

The following 10 users say thank you to Clutch Hunterr for this useful post:

AMNE, Ben, Boxxxxyyy, SweatyMidgets, forcer911, HIvkid, KingEric2011, Norman, stuartlittle98, Yeezus Christ

The following user groaned Clutch Hunterr for this awful post:

MateoGodlike
05-07-2011, 02:10 PM #2
very nice thread will done
05-07-2011, 02:12 PM #3
KingEric2011
Who’s Jim Erased?
Originally posted by Clutch
Please note that I did this on Rebug 3.55.1 CFW, so it may be(although I doubt it) a little different on different CFWs.

PICS COMING SOON!

This thread would look cleaner if I knew how to use pages, but I don't, so yeah :whistle:

Custom User Icons

4. Place any icons you want in this folder, and I *THINK* based off of my terrible memory the default image size & format is 162x162 PNG. Other sizes will work but they won't look too great.
5. Exit your FTP app, go to "user" and change any icons you like, easy as that =D

Required; dev_blind, FTP/file manager, rcomage, any .XML viewer(wordpad is fine).

4. Copy "explore_plugin_full" to your desktop(or wherever you can easily access it).
5. Start rcomage, and under "RCO Input" browse to the file you just copied from the PS3. Under "XML Output" browse to wherever you want to save the files you're about to edit(preferably somewhere easy to access), and make sure "Resources" is pointed to the same folder, it should be automatically anyway but it's always worth checking.
6. Keep "Separate resource types into separate folders" checked, but un-check all 4 of the other boxes. Now hit Dump.
7. Go to wherever you saved your XML Output and Resources and go into the "Text" folder and open "English.XML".
8. Now edit category names from line 4 right the way down to line 14(pics to come, I know it sounds confusing). Feel free to edit anything else in this entire .XML, however be warned that any screw-ups on your part could result in a very easy brick. When finished, save the file.
9. Now go back into rcomage and enter the "Compile" tab. Browse to the XML Output you saved earlier(the one from step 5, NOT English.XML). Browse to wherever you wish to save your new .RCO, and name it "explore_plugin_full". For Header Compression click on "Zlib", and leave the boxes below it alone. Now hit Compile.
10. Browse to and save the new .RCO via your FTP to /dev_blind.vsh/resource/, overwriting the old one(at this point I recommend keeping a backup of the old one, just in-case).
11. Exit your FTP program and hopefully all went well! If not, post below with your problem and I'll try my best to help :bro:

More coming soon.

Nice tut but would it not be easier just to make your own theme with the theme creator instead of messing around with dev_blind etc
05-07-2011, 02:12 PM #4
wowaka
Former Staff
I remember reading somewhere that customizing names can really mess up you ps3.
Changing icons could be fun Winky Winky

The following user groaned wowaka for this awful post:

ddrrmm
05-07-2011, 02:30 PM #5
Originally posted by Julian View Post
I remember reading somewhere that customizing names can really mess up you ps3.
Changing icons could be fun Winky Winky

Provided you only mess with what the system shows you on the XMB and you don't go near keys or anything then you should be fine.

Oh, and pics are being added to the OP in 2 mins Dancing

---------- Post added at 03:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

Originally posted by KingEric2011 View Post
Nice tut but would it not be easier just to make your own theme with the theme creator instead of messing around with dev_blind etc

The possibilities are more-or-less endless with dev_blind(or more specifically dev_flash), though. What you can do is extremely limited with theme creators.
05-07-2011, 02:32 PM #6
Default Avatar
Sync
Very great and detailed tutorial mate :y:
05-07-2011, 02:36 PM #7
KingEric2011
Who’s Jim Erased?
Provided you only mess with what the system shows you on the XMB and you don't go near keys or anything then you should be fine.

Oh, and pics are being added to the OP in 2 mins Dancing

---------- Post added at 03:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

The possibilities are more-or-less endless with dev_blind(or more specifically dev_flash), though. What you can do is extremely limited with theme creators.

Sound m8 you should put in your thread use at your own risk be warned or back up your dev_flash folder to pc, you will have alot of noobs messing in flash that will fck up their systems and be on here moaning wtf did i do wrong help well sorry if you dont have a backup your screwed lol

The following user thanked KingEric2011 for this useful post:

Clutch Hunterr
05-07-2011, 02:37 PM #8
Originally posted by KingEric2011 View Post
Sound m8 you should put in your thread use at your own risk be warned or back up your dev_flash folder to pc, you will have alot of noobs messing in flash that will fck up their systems and be on here moaning wtf did i do wrong help well sorry if you dont have a backup your screwed lol

Totally forgot to add that when I was taking screenies, thanks for reminding me! Happy
Last edited by Clutch Hunterr ; 05-07-2011 at 02:41 PM.
05-07-2011, 03:14 PM #9
KingEric2011
Who’s Jim Erased?
Totally forgot to add that when I was taking screenies, thanks for reminding me! Happy

No probs m8 good job thread looks alot cleaner
05-07-2011, 04:05 PM #10
z7EVoLuTioN7z
I UsEd to be EGGG
Please note that I did this on Rebug 3.55.1 CFW, so it may be(although I doubt it) a little different on different CFWs.

WARNING: IF YOU SCREW THIS UP YOU CAN POTENTIALLY BRICK YOUR CONSOLE, AND I WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE. ALWAYS FOLLOW THE TUTORIAL AND IF IN DOUBT, ASK FOR HELP OR TURN BACK!

[multipage=Pics!]

PICS!

[multipage=Custom User Icons]

Custom User Icons

[multipage=Modifying XMB Category Names]

It should look something like this.

8. Now edit category names from line 4 right the way down to line 14. Feel free to edit anything else in this entire .XML, however be warned that any screw-ups on your part could result in a very easy brick. When finished, save the file.
Modify what's in bold safely, modify anything else with caution and at your own risk.

It should look more-or-less like this.

10. Browse to and save the new .RCO via your FTP to /dev_blind.vsh/resource/, overwriting the old one(at this point I recommend keeping a backup of the old one, just in-case).

[multipage=Credits]

Credits go to whoever first posted on the web regarding modfying XMLs, and whoever else may have come up with this first(if anyone did I couldn't find it through a lengthy Google search haha). I didn't copy this however I don't care whether I came up with this first so feel free to take credit for it, I'm just helping out the community! :y:

[multipage=More coming soon.]

More coming soon.

I mucked up my ps3 by doing custom xmb names lucky I have my ps3 backed up :p

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo