07-16-2012, 10:15 AM #1
Mudkip
Retired Moderator
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});
You must login or register to view this content.

Hey guys, this tutorial may be old and has probably been posted before, but I want to try and make it as simple as possible to understand and easy to do, this is quite a difficult thing, seeing as it is quite a complicated precedure and does require a lot of time. May I point out I am no massive expert at this stuff, I like to get involved with CFW and all the soldering etc. But I am not a genius, so if I have missed something out please let me know.

Also I would like to point out, I have seen reports of people's PS3s being bricked due to doing this wrong, so I must point out, try this at your own risk, and nextgenupdate and I take no responsibilty for what you do to your console.

This will also, hopefully, help people who wanted to be able to use any CFW, instead of the one on the e3 site. 3.41 for example.

I suggest if you are going to follow this guide, to take your time and read everything carefully a few times before starting.

I would also suggest, if you are going to carry out this procedure, make a backup of your PS3 first! That way incase you do do something wrong, you will always have a backup.

Things you will need

1. PS3 compatible with e3 flasher. Any nor chip model PS3. Except those that came with a higher firmware than 3.55 from the factory.
2. an e3 flasher
3. micro sd card formatted to fat32 (I recommend to use a 2gb or less Sandisc. Just a recommendation and others may work fine.)
4. usb downgrade dongle - You must login or register to view this content. to see options for a downgrade dongle.
5. usb flash drive formatted to fat32
6. Download the You must login or register to view this content.
7. Patience, common sense, and the ability to follow directions.

Before starting make sure you have a nor chip ps3 that can be downgraded. And, most importantly, you must note never downgrade to a firmware lower than what came on your PS3 when you bought it new.

Checking your PS3's minimum firmware

You can check to see the lowest firmware by using the minimal downgrade check PUP file. Just rename to PS3UPDAT.PUP and place in a folder named UPDATE, then place that in a folder named PS3, and put on the root of your flash drive. Put it in the PS3 and navigate to system update. Choose update from storage device. Don't worry it won't update your ps3. It will tell you what the lowest firmware your console can go.

You can also check this chart for firmware and nor chip compatibility.

Chapter 1

Part 1 - Install your e3 flasher

Correct Installation

There are many guides on how to do this already, and I don't think I should waste time writing a decent guide when you can ruide an amazing one written somewhere else. If you do not know how to install your flasher correctly You must login or register to view this content..

Just a few notes for when you install it:

Make sure to tape the clip down to your nor chip and where it connects to the e3 card. Some models have a transistor in the way of the clip. To solve this problem you need to shave off a little plastic from the clip, to allow it to fit flush to the motherboard.
If you receive errors when trying to make your backup, most likely the clip does not have good contact with the chip.

Part 2 - Make some bios backups.

Updating the flasher and backup bios
1. Take your micro sd card and format to fat32.
2. Put the e3 10-28 update.bin file onto the root of your sd card.
(we use this to update your flasher, because it will allow you to flash multiple ps3's. Feel free to use a newer update, if you plan on leaving the flasher installed and dual booting.) take the sd card and insert into the slot on the flasher.
3. Set the switches on your e3 1 and 2 down and the rest up. Turn on the ps3. All 8 blue led lights light up and means your flasher has taken the update. Press the reset button.
4. Move the switches to 1 and 2 down, 3 up, 4,5, and 6 down. Press reset.
5. Press start and wait for the blue led light to light up in sequence. When all lights have lit and alternate flash the backup is done.
6. Take the sd card to your pc and check your dump with You must login or register to view this content.(VERY IMPORTANT).
Repeat steps 4 - 6, two more times. at least. It's good to have a lot of good bios backups in case of a brick.
NOTE: The newer updates for e3 flasher make 3 bios backups at once. I suggest you still repeat steps 4-6 two more times and check them all. When it makes the 3 at once they will all be the same, so if one is bad the other 2 usually are to.

After making sure you have a good backup:
1. Keep the last good backup on your sd card and rename to bkpps3.bin (if needed)
2. Continue to Chapter 2.

CHAPTER 2

Part 1 - Downgrade to Rogero v3.4 w/ PSN access

Downgrade to Rogero v3.4 w/ PSN access

1. After making your backups continue here and leave your PS3 on. There is no need to reboot.
  2. Put the e3_downgrade.bin file on your sd card (that has your bkpps3.bin on it). Insert sd back into flasher.
  3. Set switches 1 - 5 down and 6 up.
  4. Press reset, then start on the flasher. Wait for the blue lights again. When done lights alternate blink.
  5. Shut down PS3 from the XMB.
  6. Power on PS3. You should get a screen that says "Plug in controller to USB and press PS button"
  7. DO NOT DO WHAT THE SCREEN SAYS!
  8. TURN OFF POWER BY SWITCH OR PULL POWER CABLE.
  9. Insert your downgrade dongle in the right USB port.
  10. Plug in power cable or switch back on.
  11. Press POWER then EJECT in that order within a split second. and wait for the PS3 to shut off by itself.
  12. Place the Lv2diag.self and Rogero_v3.1_with spoof from the step 1 folder onto a USB Flash drive and rename R_C-F-W_V3.4_PS3UPDAT.PUP to PS3UPDAT.PUP.
  13. Replace the downgrade dongle with the flash drive in the farthest right USB port.
  14. Turn on your PS3. Wait. In about 3-5 minutes your PS3 will shut off.
  15. Take the flash drive back to the computer and quick format to fat32.
  16. Place the Lv2diag.self from the step 2 folder onto the flash drive.
    Note-Step 1 and Step 2 folder are inside FACTORY/SERVICE MODE folder.
  17. Put the flash drive back into the farthest right port of the PS3, turn on and wait, in about 30 - 45 seconds it will shut down again.
  18. Take out the flash drive, then turn on your PS3. The first thing you will see is Rogero when your PS3 boots up.
  19. Now you need to repeat Chapter 1 Part 2 Make some bios backups. This is IMPORTANT in case you brick while installing other firmwares.

If you would like to stay on Rogero v3.4 w/ PSN access, and have no reason to go to OFW or another CFW, you can stop here. But remember if you ever want to change your firmware, it must be a "no syscons check" firmware. Or you will brick. So it is highly recommended to continue, to avoid a brick in the future.

Part 2 - QA flag

QA flag
1. Quick format your USB flash drive to fat32.
2. Place the You must login or register to view this content. file onto the root of your flash drive.
3. Put in your PS3.
4. Navigate to install packages and install the package.
5. Go to Toggle QA app on the XMB and click X.
6. You will here a beep and see a blackscreen, then it will return to the XMB. If it doesn't beep and return to XMB, reboot and try again.
Step 7 is not necessary, Although I would recommend doing it, just to make sure the QA flag worked.
7. Then navigate to Network settings and press L1,L2,L3,R1,R2, and down on the d-pad.
Now more options will appear in your menu.
8. There is no need to change any settings in this menu.

Part 3 - Install any OFW from recovery menu

DO NOT INSTALL A FIRMWARE LOWER THAN WHAT CAME NEW WITH YOUR PS3!

Install any OFW from recovery menu
1. Enter recovery menu on your PS3. - There are 2 methods of doing this:

Method 1
The easiest way to enter recovery menu is with condorstrike's app Condor Updater.
a. Install You must login or register to view this content.
b. Run the app from the XMB.
You will now be in the recovery menu, continue with Step 2.

Method 2
Or use the old fashion way:
a. with the PS3 on press and hold power till the machine turns off.
b. hold power button again til the PS3 turns on then off again.
c. hold power again until it beeps 3 times.

2. Put the OFW3.55_PS3UPDAT.PUP on your flash drive like this:
root:PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDAT.PUP [remember to rename to PS3UPDAT.PUP]
3. Insert into the right usb port of the PS3 and choose option 6.
4. Follow the on screen instructions.

Now you will be on OFW 3.55. You have successfully completed your downgrade!
You can install a CFW from system update on the XMB. Just replace the PUP file with your choice of CFW with the one on your flash drive.
If you get an error trying to install CFW from the XMB: you will have to enter recovery menu, the old fashion way. Condor Updater will not work on OFW.

You can substitute any OFW in Chapter 2-Part 3-step 2., as long as it is not lower than what your console came with new. Once you are on the CFW you want, you can run toggle qa again. Then delete it if you want.

Here are some CFWs that were included in the downgrade any pack. But feel free to use whatever CFW you like. Just make sure to get the PUP file from a trusted source.

I would advise getting them from You must login or register to view this content.

Rebug 3.55.2
Rebug 3.55.2 True Blue Edition, if you have a True Blue Dongle.
Kmeaw 3.55 is basic and I have never had a problem out of it on my slim.
Rebug 3.55.2 Other OS++
Rebug 3.41.3 Other OS++

Once again, I hope you liked the tutorial, sorry if anything was wrong (I'm almost certain it isn't) or I missed anything out, as I said I am not an expert, but I gathered my info from very reliable sources.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Mudkip ; 08-24-2012 at 08:08 AM.

The following 12 users say thank you to Mudkip for this useful post:

-Google-, bearl, Cien, hajpero, hatashi, ii-ownaged-iixx, justeve, method1278, Mr.Oppossum, nawking, PounDJo0DoGz0r, WEE_FITZYBOY
07-16-2012, 11:04 AM #2
method1278
OLD SCHOOL IS COOL
Originally posted by Mudkip View Post

Hey guys, this tutorial may be old and has probably been posted before, but I want to try and make it as simple as possible to understand and easy to do, this is quite a difficult thing, seeing as it is quite a complicated precedure and does require a lot of time. May I point out I am no massive expert at this stuff, I like to get involved with CFW and all the soldering etc. But I am not a genius, so if I have missed something out please let me know.

Also I would like to point out, I have seen reports of people's PS3s being bricked due to doing this wrong, so I must point out, try this at your own risk, and nextgenupdate and I take no responsibilty for what you do to your console.

This will also, hopefully, help people who wanted to be able to use any CFW, instead of the one on the e3 site. 3.41 for example.

I suggest if you are going to follow this guide, to take your time and read everything carefully a few times before starting.

I would also suggest, if you are going to carry out this procedure, make a backup of your PS3 first! That way incase you do do something wrong, you will always have a backup.

Things you will need

1. PS3 compatible with e3 flasher. Any nor chip model PS3. Except those that came with a higher firmware than 3.55 from the factory.
2. an e3 flasher
3. micro sd card formatted to fat32 (I recommend to use a 2gb or less Sandisc. Just a recommendation and others may work fine.)
4. usb downgrade dongle - You must login or register to view this content. to see options for a downgrade dongle.

Before starting make sure you have a nor chip ps3 that can be downgraded. And, most importantly, you must note never downgrade to a firmware lower than what came on your PS3 when you bought it new.

You can check to see the lowest firmware by using the minimal downgrade check PUP file. Just rename to PS3UPDAT.PUP and place in a folder named UPDATE, then place that in a folder named PS3, and put on the root of your flash drive. Put it in the PS3 and navigate to system update. Choose update from storage device. Don't worry it won't update your ps3. It will tell you what the lowest firmware your console can go.

Chapter 1

Correct Installation

There are many guides on how to do this already, and I don't think I should waste time writing a decent guide when you can ruide an amazing one written somewhere else. If you do not know how to install your flasher correctly You must login or register to view this content..

Make sure to tape the clip down to your nor chip and where it connects to the e3 card. Some models have a transistor in the way of the clip. To solve this problem you need to shave off a little plastic from the clip, to allow it to fit flush to the motherboard.
If you receive errors when trying to make your backup, most likely the clip does not have good contact with the chip.

(we use this to update your flasher, because it will allow you to flash multiple ps3's. Feel free to use a newer update, if you plan on leaving the flasher installed and dual booting.) take the sd card and insert into the slot on the flasher.
3. Set the switches on your e3 1 and 2 down and the rest up. Turn on the ps3. All 8 blue led lights light up and means your flasher has taken the update. Press the reset button.
5. Press start and wait for the blue led light to light up in sequence. When all lights have lit and alternate flash the backup is done.
6. Take the sd card to your pc and check your dump with You must login or register to view this content.(VERY IMPORTANT).
Repeat steps 4 - 6, two more times. at least. It's good to have a lot of good bios backups in case of a brick.
NOTE: The newer updates for e3 flasher make 3 bios backups at once. I suggest you still repeat steps 4-6 two more times and check them all. When it makes the 3 at once they will all be the same, so if one is bad the other 2 usually are to.

1. Keep the last good backup on your sd card and rename to bkpps3.bin (if needed)

CHAPTER 2

1. After making your backups continue here and leave your PS3 on. There is no need to reboot.
  2. Put the e3_downgrade.bin file on your sd card (that has your bkpps3.bin on it). Insert sd back into flasher.
  4. Press reset, then start on the flasher. Wait for the blue lights again. When done lights alternate blink.
  6. Power on PS3. You should get a screen that says "Plug in controller to USB and press PS button"
  11. Press POWER then EJECT in that order within a split second. and wait for the PS3 to shut off by itself.
  12. Place the Lv2diag.self and Rogero_v3.1_with spoof from the step 1 folder onto a USB Flash drive and rename R_C-F-W_V3.4_PS3UPDAT.PUP to PS3UPDAT.PUP.
  13. Replace the downgrade dongle with the flash drive in the farthest right USB port.
  17. Put the flash drive back into the farthest right port of the PS3, turn on and wait, in about 30 - 45 seconds it will shut down again.
  18. Take out the flash drive, then turn on your PS3. The first thing you will see is Rogero when your PS3 boots up.
  19. Now you need to repeat Chapter 1 Part 2 Make some bios backups. This is IMPORTANT in case you brick while installing other firmwares.

If you would like to stay on Rogero v3.4 w/ PSN access, and have no reason to go to OFW or another CFW, you can stop here. But remember if you ever want to change your firmware, it must be a "no syscons check" firmware. Or you will brick. So it is highly recommended to continue, to avoid a brick in the future.

Part 2 - QA flag

QA flag
2. Place the You must login or register to view this content. file onto the root of your flash drive.
3. Put in your PS3.
6. You will here a beep and see a blackscreen, then it will return to the XMB. If it doesn't beep and return to XMB, reboot and try again.
Step 7 is not necessary, Although I would recommend doing it, just to make sure the QA flag worked.
7. Then navigate to Network settings and press L1,L2,L3,R1,R2, and down on the d-pad.

Method 1
The easiest way to enter recovery menu is with condorstrike's app Condor Updater.

Method 2

You can install a CFW from system update on the XMB. Just replace the PUP file with your choice of CFW with the one on your flash drive.
If you get an error trying to install CFW from the XMB: you will have to enter recovery menu, the old fashion way. Condor Updater will not work on OFW.

You can substitute any OFW in Chapter 2-Part 3-step 2., as long as it is not lower than what your console came with new. Once you are on the CFW you want, you can run toggle qa again. Then delete it if you want.

Here are some CFWs that were included in the downgrade any pack. But feel free to use whatever CFW you like. Just make sure to get the PUP file from a trusted source.

I would advise getting them from You must login or register to view this content.

Rebug 3.55.2
Rebug 3.55.2 Other OS++
Rebug 3.41.3 Other OS++

Once again, I hope you liked the tutorial, sorry if anything was wrong (I'm almost certain it isn't) or I missed anything out, as I said I am not an expert, but I gathered my info from very reliable sources.

Enjoy!
nice tut wish i had this befor i stuffed my clips thanks i will use one my clip arives
07-16-2012, 11:12 AM #3
Mr.Oppossum
I defeated!
Very nice, Reading this makes me want to try it again, I bricked my PS3 with the perma brick the first time I tried this =D
07-16-2012, 02:38 PM #4
xFresshhh
Do a barrel roll!
"DO NOT INSTALL A FIRMWARE LOWER THAN WHAT CAME NEW WITH YOUR PS3!" What do you mean by this?
07-16-2012, 03:00 PM #5
Jared
Tranquility.
Originally posted by xFresshhh View Post
"DO NOT INSTALL A FIRMWARE LOWER THAN WHAT CAME NEW WITH YOUR PS3!" What do you mean by this?

That means, if your PS3 came on lets say 2.72 firmware, you can't go below that firmware.

:FU: I planned on writing this after I got my E3 Flasher tomorrow. Oh well, good tutorial. Sticky worthy so all the noobs can find it. :y:
07-16-2012, 03:07 PM #6
Mudkip
Retired Moderator
Originally posted by Kammmmi View Post
That means, if your PS3 came on lets say 2.72 firmware, you can't go below that firmware.

:FU: I planned on writing this after I got my E3 Flasher tomorrow. Oh well, good tutorial. Sticky worthy so all the noobs can find it. :y:

Haha sorry, didn't see one in the section so though I would just give it a go :p
07-16-2012, 11:14 PM #7
YourAMeatBall
Bounty hunter
nice post Mudkip
07-16-2012, 11:20 PM #8
Cien
Open Your Mind Before Your Mouth

Things you will need

2. an e3 flasher

Chapter 1

Correct Installation

CHAPTER 2

Part 2 - QA flag

QA flag
3. Put in your PS3.

Method 1

Method 2

Rebug 3.55.2
Rebug 3.55.2 Other OS++
Rebug 3.41.3 Other OS++

Enjoy!

Epic...Thank you.
07-17-2012, 06:15 AM #9
nawking
NGU has sold out to money 8(
[
---------- Post added at 01:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 AM ----------

[/COLOR]

!

ok noob questions but questions none the less first and exest where can i find an e3 flasher secound after i watch video and install the flasher what steps do i need to do to install kame 3.55cfw insted of Rogero v3.4 fw or what ever that is sorry im so lost all this termanogly is new to me so im a noob
07-17-2012, 10:00 AM #10
Mudkip
Retired Moderator
Originally posted by nawking View Post
[
---------- Post added at 01:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 AM ----------

[/COLOR]
ok noob questions but questions none the less first and exest where can i find an e3 flasher secound after i watch video and install the flasher what steps do i need to do to install kame 3.55cfw insted of Rogero v3.4 fw or what ever that is sorry im so lost all this termanogly is new to me so im a noob

You must login or register to view this content. - that's one place I saw, try looking on ebay to,

and as I said mate, I am not the expert, but,

I would advise you to follow the steps here, although I'm pretty sure you have to install Rogero first, then eventually you will install a OFW, then you go onto installing a CFW of your choice, if that made any sense at all,

just follow the steps Smile

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo