Post: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Hacking the Playstation 3 for Beginners
12-17-2013, 06:45 AM #1
libra7ry
I’m too L33T
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});
[ATTACH=CONFIG]30356[/ATTACH]

Hacking the PlayStation 3 for Beginners

As of 3/6/2015, you need to be on the golden firmware 3.55 in order to JAILBREAK the Playstation 3.

All the youtube videos and websites claiming that they have a jailbreak higher than 3.55+ are complete bullshit.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30357[/ATTACH]

Please find all your PS3 NEWS:

You must login or register to view this content.

If there ever is a jailbreak higher than 3.55, I assure you it will be posted in one of these websites. So, please don’t donate or fill out stupid surveys to get a password for a file that can put you on demonstration mode or potentially brick your PS3.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30358[/ATTACH]

So, now you know that you need to be on 3.55 to jailbreak but most likely you’re on a higher firmware. Well, you need to DOWNGRADE your PS3 and the ONLY WAY, as of 3/6/2015, is to purchase HARDWARE
(e.g. E3 Flasher, Proskeet, Teensy)

There is no software that can downgrade a PS3!!!!!!!!

VERIFYING THE PS3 CAN DOWNGRADE

First thing to investigate is if your PS3 can be downgraded with the hardware. There are 2 ways to check if you actually can downgrade the PS3.
1. Model Number
2. MinVerChk

1. Model Number

The model number can be located in the rear of the PS3.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30359[/ATTACH]

All fats and most slims can be downgraded. By most slims, I mean some 25xx and all 3xxxx cannot be downgraded. Also, no super slims cannot be downgraded.

2. MinVerChk

This special PUP (Playstation Update Package) will let you know how far you can downgrade your PS3. It checks what firmware was installed when it left the factory.

I highly recommend people with models CECH25XX to run this and see if you can actually downgrade. Some of these models cannot be downgraded due to metldr 2

If you see the “update date of version” 3.55 and lower then you are good to go to downgrade the PS3.

If you see the “update date of version” 3.56 it is possible to downgrade if it does not have metldr 2

If you see the “update date of version” 3.60 and higher then you cannot downgrade the PS3.

THE HARDWARE TO DOWNGRADE

So, now you know the model number and the minimum firmware version. It is time to see with which hardware you’re going to use to downgrade. Either you’re going to SOLDER to motherboard or use a CLIP for the chip.

The big 3 hardware currently out in the market:
ProgSkeet, Teensy++ & E3 Flasher

All hardware can either be solder or used with a clip to be installed over the chip.

The E3 Flasher can only be used on NOR consoles!!!!!

There is either a NAND or NOR CHIP on your PS3.

Fat PS3 with model numbers:
CECHA\CECHB\CECHC\CECHE\CECHG
Have NAND chips.

Fat PS3 with model numbers:
CECHH\CECHJ\CECHK\CECHL\CECHM\CECHP\CECHQ
Have NOR chips.

All Slim PS3 have NOR chips

NOTE that slim models CECH25XX manufactured after 4/2011 cannot be downgrade due to metldr 2

WARNING: PS3 Models CECH 3XXXX (SLIMS) and CECH4XXXX (SUPER SLIMS) cannot be downgraded at all!!!

I would suggest looking around the internet to where exactly you can purchase the hardware. I would also compare the prices and see if you can get it for a cheaper price.

Below are a few links to where you can purchase an E3 NOR Flasher, please compare and investigate the price and the shipping:

But, please look around for yourself.

The best tutorial, and very extensive, to get started is with:

This guy went balls out here. His tutorial will show you pictures that will help you solder or attach the clip. Please read carefully and understand the procedures.

If your going with E3 Flasher for you NOR…..

Use either Baileysream’s written tutorial

Or use

Here is my video on how to use E3 Flasher on a slim PS3.

E3 Flasher w/ no ESATA Station and no FSM dongle required

"E3 Flasher w/ no ESATA Station and no FSM dongle required" this does NOT, I repeat DOES NOT delete one piece of data of your PS3 System. As far as other methods that include a Factory Service Mode dongle with the E3 Flasher, will require that all data is erased."

NON-DOWNGRADABLE or NON-JAILBREAKABLE PS3 MODELS

People with 25XX (manufactured after 4/2011), 3XXXX and 4XXXX still have the option to get an PS3 ODE (Optical Drive Emulator). You will have to solder hardware onto the motherboard in order for this to work. People with lower PS3 model numbers can also get an ODE if they don't wanna downgrade.

Basically, an PS3 ODE will let you play back-ups from the internal or external HDD. A few homebrews are compatible as well.

Here is the list of PS3 that are compatible with ODEs and there interfaces either PATA or SATA

FAT:
CECHA (PATA)
CECHB (PATA)
CECHC (PATA)
CECHE (PATA)
CECHG (PATA)
CECHH (PATA)
CECHK (PATA)
CECHL (SATA) (most consoles)

SLIM:
CECH2XXX (SATA)
CECH21XX (SATA)
CECH25XX (SATA)
CECH3XXX (SATA)

SUPER SLIM:
CECH4XXX (SATA)

So far there are only 3 types of ODEs in the market:
Cobra ODE: You must login or register to view this content.
3K3Y:You must login or register to view this content.
E3 ODE: You must login or register to view this content.

There are many tutorial out on youtube on how to install these particular ODEs.

Here is Cobra ODE's tutorials: You must login or register to view this content.
Here is 3k3y ODE's tutorial in PDF: You must login or register to view this content.

INSTALLING CUSTOM FIRMWARE (CFW)

Following the downgrade process you will be able to install CFW. After installing the CFW you can finally say that you have successfully JAILBROKEN your PS3. There are many CFW currently out. Some friendly and some not-so- friendly. Please download CFW files from respectable and trusted websites.

Here on NGU, we have 2 very extensive threads started by none other than Pseudo_Soldier & FinalFantasyXIV.
Here you will be able to locate CFW files for you to download and install.

Pseudo_Soldier: You must login or register to view this content.
FinalFantasyXIV: You must login or register to view this content.

To install CFW you will need a USB flash drive that is formatted to FAT32. On the root of the USB flash drive, make a folder called PS3 with all CAPS. Inside the PS3 folder, make another folder called UPDATE with all CAPS. The CFW you downloaded will be inserted/placed inside the UPDATE folder. The CFW file should be named or renamed to PS3UPDAT.PUP with all caps

Here is a picture of the folder structure

WARNING

Always installing CFW is at your own risk. That being said, when installing make sure to eject any Blu-ray game in the drive. Also, don't update "Via the Internet" and always update from "Via Storage Media"

Once you install Official Firmware OFW over Custom Firmware CFW will result in losing the JAILBROKEN status. If this happens you will have to do the whole downgrading process over again :cry:

WORDS OF ADVISE

Never UPDATE the PS3 through PSN or blu-ray game!!!!

DEHASHING THE PS3

Dehashing basically does is it resets the PS3′s Syscon hashes back to 3.55 with both “ros0” and “ros1”, making your PS3 back into an original/non-downgraded state

After downgrading your PS3, it would be a good idea to QA flag the console. If your downgraded your PS3 and update it to the most recent CFW (Custom Firmware), go ahead and use Rogero, Rebug or Habib CFW downgrader and then QA flag the PS3. Afterwards, install any CFW of your choice.

But, be warned if your planning on staying 3.55CFW you will not be able to run the most recent games and will have to search for patches to make them work. Most homebrew currently out do not support older CFW. Also, you will not be able to go online since you are required to have the most up to date firmware version on the PS3.

To eliminate this headache please just update the PS3 to the most current CFW available. Like everything you install onto your PS3 is at your own RISK. Research about the developers and look to see if other people are having issue when they installed their product.

QA flag requires that you have a working blu-ray drive or it will not work

Here is You must login or register to view this content. tutorial and files

(Refer to my section below on how to install this package)

Here is the video on how to use Rogero 3.55 downgrader and QA flag

Console Info: How To Downgrade PS3 From Any CFW Back To 3.55 Full Tutorial HD

WHAT ARE PACKAGES AND HOW TO INSTALL THEM

PS3 applications, software and programs...or in other words HOMEBREW, are released as .pkg files. The .pkg files are installed directly from "★ Install Package Files"

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30360[/ATTACH]

The "★ Install Package Files" can be found under the "GAME" category on the XMB menu (XrossMediaBar)

Once you download the .pkg files transfer them to the root of your flash drive.
Make sure the flash drive file system is FAT32. Then plug the flash drive onto your PS3 and under “Games” look for “★ Install Package Files”. Press X and you should see the files inside here. Afterwards select the file you which to install.

When done installing, the homebrew will be right under the "GAME" category. At this point you can select to run the homebrew

Some PS3s require that you have a blu-ray drive for homebrew to work. If not you will end up with a black screen after you run the program

CONVERTING FROM CEX TO DEX

In layman's terms:

CEX = Retail Console (The PS3 that you buy at the store)
DEX = Debug/Developers Console (The PS3 used by game developers)

Though, you can RTM on CEX using CCAPI. Note that CCAPI is only compatible with certain firmwares at this moment.

Compatible firmwares:

CFW 4.21,4.30,4.40,4.41,4.46,4.50,4.53,4.55,4.60,4.65 CEX or DEX
Cobra/Non-Cobra

Here is FM|T Enstone CCAPI: You must login or register to view this content.

To get the full and best experience of RTMing, DEX is the way to go!

Really, if you don't know the difference between CEX and DEX by now, I would prefer you to stay on CEX.
But, if you must get on DEX, there are many tuts on NGU that can guide you.

Here are some famous and very noob friendly guides to consider:

DEREKTROTTER: You must login or register to view this content.
Left & tunde1992: You must login or register to view this content.
mastakiller: You must login or register to view this content.

WARNING

Take your time while converting people. No need to rush when the stake of your PS3 is at hand. There is always the RISK of the PS3 getting bricked while flashing it.
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!

WHERE TO GET HOMEBREW

A good place to get homebrew pkg(s) is from:

One thing to note is that some homebrew are not compatible to run on all CFW. Some homebrew are signed with a specific CFW.

Please make sure to double check if the particular homebrew version you downloaded is compatible with your CFW.
It is like installing program(s) that are meant for Windows 95 onto Windows 7 or vice versa and expecting it to run.

Some needed homebrew for the PS3 are:

Multiman: the name says it all. It is a game manager, will let you back-up and run games from internal/external HDD. It is a file manager, will let you transfer files from one place to another. It also allows you to FTP into your PS3 with your PC.

Check out my video on how to FTP games onto your PS3: You must login or register to view this content.

If you need more info on how to use MM, here is a MASSIVE tut from CYAN
multiMAN beginner's guide: You must login or register to view this content.
This will show you all you need to know about MM.

RetroArch: multi-system emulator system that includes
- FBA Alpha (multiple systems including: Neo Geo, CPS-1, CPS-2, CPS-3,
Sega System 16 and System 18 )
- FCEU-MM (NES/Famicom)
- Gambatte (Game Boy Color)
- Genesis Plus GX (Sega Genesis/Megadrive)
- Mednafen NGP (Neo Geo Pocket Color)
- Mednafen PCE Fast (PC Engine)
- Mednafen VB (Virtual Boy)
- Mednafen WSwam (WonderSwam)
- Nestopia (NES/Famicom)
- NXEngine (Cave Story)
- PRBoom (Doom)
- SNEX9x Next (Super Nintendo)
- VBA Next (Game Boy Advance)

PSN Patch: The major objective is to spoof the console Id and disable cfw syscalls extensions in order to make your system more "safe" to go into the PSN. This is a must if you want go online with your PS3 that is running on CFW.

Running homebrew, while being logged onto PSN, is NOT a very good idea.

Asking for PSID is not allowed on this website. Please don’t ask about them here.

GETTING ONLINE

Always playing or getting online is very risky!!!!

The possibility of getting banned is always there. Also, there is no 100% bullet-proof way of preventing you to get banned. The best way of preventing a banned is to stay offline and play with yourself Happy

In order to login into PSN, you need to be on the most current firmware version. Currently 4.70 is required to login as of 3/6/2015. Few things you can do in order to login into PSN:

1. Update the PS3 to most current CFW available that matches the firmware version that is required to login.

2. CEX users, use the most current Spoofer available for signing in PSN.
I'm using ARCH 4.70 SPOOFER ENABLER/DISSABLER v1.15: You must login or register to view this content.

For Cobra CFWs and DEX CFWs users please follow this theard by KHATPHAT: You must login or register to view this content.

There are a few precautions one must take in order to lower the possibility. A few homebrews out there will help you get online with a little safety. I'll just name a few:

PSNPatch
PSNinja
SEN Enabler
PSNope

Please, look into these and find out which one of them is suitable for you. I personally use PSNPatch and have not had any issue with it Dancing

Here is nice tutorial from Wire.: You must login or register to view this content.

WORDS OF ADVISE

Never use homebrew online and always mount the game your gonna play before signing in!!!

CONCLUSION

I hope this guide will help all the new comers and get answers to their redundant questions that we keep getting on this website. Please link this post to whoever needs it.

If I left any important information out or I need correction, PLEASE feel free to let me know!!!
Thanks guys!!!
Last edited by libra7ry ; 03-08-2015 at 08:47 AM.

The following 119 users say thank you to libra7ry for this useful post:

_apache, -SuperMan, /SneakerStreet/, Dynamite, DIRTY SMASHER, 2Crime, 3ric_M0535, A-RON, akisnitro, Alan Walker, Asian, battlebudy, BISOON, Black_ice, Born-Unique, camaro084, cbenj25, CC453, Cien, coreconfusion, CraCk_BaBy_13, Creepzoid 0___0, Dalmin, Dan Dactyl, danielrios1436, DAZGANGSTA, DeathDark, DecDeviL, DEradicator, Dog88Christian, Drumma516, DS, Ehts_Kash702, eliteimpact, EpicModZz, Ezpyon, Frank Ryan, fzrrich, Gagliardi, gamer89117, GangDePlot, Gehirnstaub, hibye3, IG88z, iJosh, Iowa, itsAndx, Jaqen H'ghar, jaredremark24, JK83, JPClyde, KingSavagee, Krhiss-M, LaughTracks, lol-pop, LostSoulSiskel, Luphox, Mango_Knife, MartinModding, mesbric2208, MikeGT, moekroeman, MrWorldWide45, Mui_G, NerdSlice, nLessHate, nodaicrag, Norway-_-1999, Organic, Pow., PrimeCreated, pro566, PurifiedVenom, Rey, RTE, SayYO, Scotty4.11, SeaBreeze786, Sean5505, sert1991, SHAkA, SlowGrind, SnTsV1_modZ, ste2610, stevob7, superaconi, supreme69, Taylors Bish, Tetsu_X, ThatsWhatLoveIs, The Omega Man, The Rangers, The1337xLew-, xNoLiimitzZx, TheMagicSax, This-Guyy and 19 other users.
12-17-2013, 05:41 PM #2
Nana
Can’t trickshot me!
Wow nice thread for Noobs, so they dont ask anymore...:yes:

The following 4 users say thank you to Nana for this useful post:

007bond, Dog88Christian, kfam21212, STIGMATA
12-17-2013, 07:00 PM #3
nice job
12-17-2013, 10:32 PM #4
QuantumDev
Can’t trickshot me!
Wow. Awesome thread. Should be stickied.
12-18-2013, 01:58 PM #5
Originally posted by 9733
Wow nice thread for Noobs, so they dont ask anymore...:yes:

I think it's good too
however, noobs should not do something like that Happy

finde ich auch allerdings sollten noobs eigentlich nicht so etwas machen Winky Winky
12-19-2013, 10:11 PM #6
Mawndo
Do a barrel roll!
awesome, good info.
12-26-2013, 04:47 AM #7
I have a downgraded (E3 Flasher) 3.55 but my blue ray play is non functioning and I never considered that would be a problem till now. How screwed am I? Is there a way around needing to QA?
12-26-2013, 04:59 PM #8
libra7ry
I’m too L33T
Originally posted by xX View Post
I have a downgraded (E3 Flasher) 3.55 but my blue ray play is non functioning and I never considered that would be a problem till now. How screwed am I? Is there a way around needing to QA?

Well, you need a working blu-ray to run homebrew and you need one to QA flag as well. I as learned that the hard way =0/
No way around it!! Well, at least you can easily re-marry a new one depending which model ps3 you have.
12-29-2013, 07:00 AM #9
Originally posted by libra7ry View Post
Well, you need a working blu-ray to run homebrew and you need one to QA flag as well. I as learned that the hard way =0/
No way around it!! Well, at least you can easily re-marry a new one depending which model ps3 you have.

So i cant install comgenie or black b0x without a blueray drive??
12-29-2013, 07:35 AM #10
libra7ry
I’m too L33T
Originally posted by TrickzGat
So i cant install comgenie or black b0x without a blueray drive??

You can install, the question is will it run or give you a black screen
Here is an example:You must login or register to view this content.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo