Post: How to Make your PS3 faster with an SSD [Samsung Evo SSD]
11-11-2014, 06:58 PM #1
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); You can make your Playstation 3 a little bit faster with a Solid State Drive from Samsung (SSD). An SSD has a lot more writing - and reading speed than a normal HDD.

What you need:
A Samsung SSD
A screwdriver
An SSD case

Tutorial :

First you have to remove your old hard drive from the PS3. For this you simply remove the blue screw of the flap on the PS3 so that you can see the HHD.

Then you remove the old hdd from the case and insert the new SSD in the case and plugged them back in the ps3.

SSD = read speeds of around 220 MB per second and write speeds from 160 to 190 MB per second.

HDD = 65 MB per second read and 48MB per second write.

Between the game loading times there is little difference.
Maximum of 10 seconds difference.

The install procces of games on the ssd is faster than the times on a normal hdd.

You can see the difference only when you compare between ssd and hdd not ssd and bluray!

You can do this with an Xbox One too!
I think with an SSD i can install my games faster in multiman Happy
11-11-2014, 07:05 PM #2
Jewels
I’m too L33T
Wow. Very interesting!!!
11-11-2014, 07:08 PM #3
A1
Why You Mad Bruh?
Originally posted by Clay
You can make your Playstation 3 a little bit faster with a Solid State Drive from Samsung (SSD). An SSD has a lot more writing - and reading speed than a normal HDD.

What you need:
A Samsung SSD
A screwdriver
An SSD case

Tutorial :

First you have to remove your old hard drive from the PS3. For this you simply remove the blue screw of the flap on the PS3 so that you can see the HHD.

Then you remove the old hdd from the case and insert the new SSD in the case and plugged them back in the ps3.

SSD = read speeds of around 220 MB per second and write speeds from 160 to 190 MB per second.

The install procces of games on the ssd is faster than the times on a normal hdd.

You can see the difference only when you compare between ssd and hdd not ssd and bluray!

Hmmmm... looks Interesting i need give a try and post my results Smile
11-11-2014, 07:08 PM #4
Default Avatar
Oneup
You can make your Playstation 3 a little bit faster with a Solid State Drive from Samsung (SSD). An SSD has a lot more writing - and reading speed than a normal HDD.

What you need:
A Samsung SSD
A screwdriver
An SSD case

Tutorial :

Well this is true. A PS3 doesn't know how to properly use a SSD. You won't be getting the full benefit of the SSD.
PS3's do not support TRIM so over time that SSD is going to slow down. Granted there are SSD's that have this built in so if anything keep that in mind.
The other part to this is that the ps3 only uses SATA 1. So you can only push so much data through. You are spending alot of money for minimal gains at this point.

The only game that you would see a decent impact on is GT or Final fantasy and possibly Destiny.

TL DR;
It's not worth spending the money on when you can get more space per $ with a mechanical drive and not really lose much in performance.
Last edited by Oneup ; 11-11-2014 at 07:10 PM.

The following user thanked Oneup for this useful post:

Insight
11-11-2014, 07:11 PM #5
Master0wn3r
I’m too L33T
i dont have the $$$ for an SSD, because if i had i would've bought my games lol

The following user thanked Master0wn3r for this useful post:

JakeP0500
11-11-2014, 07:20 PM #6
Originally posted by 1UP View Post
Well this is true. A PS3 doesn't know how to properly use a SSD. You won't be getting the full benefit of the SSD.
PS3's do not support TRIM so over time that SSD is going to slow down. Granted there are SSD's that have this built in so if anything keep that in mind.
The other part to this is that the ps3 only uses SATA 1. So you can only push so much data through. You are spending alot of money for minimal gains at this point.

The only game that you would see a decent impact on is GT or Final fantasy and possibly Destiny.

TL DR;
It's not worth spending the money on when you can get more space per $ with a mechanical drive and not really lose much in performance.

I go there mainly for the installation time.
If I is a big game from the PSN store, and when i install it I find the game installs faster on the ssd
11-11-2014, 07:23 PM #7
Default Avatar
Oneup
I go there mainly for the installation time.
If I is a big game from the PSN store, and when i install it I find the game installs faster on the ssd

So you would rather fill up a smaller drive for installation purposes? You do know the more you write to those causes them to wear out right?
11-11-2014, 07:44 PM #8
So you would rather fill up a smaller drive for installation purposes? You do know the more you write to those causes them to wear out right?

Yep but why a smaller drive i have a 1tb ssd
11-11-2014, 07:51 PM #9
Default Avatar
Oneup
Yep but why a smaller drive i have a 1tb ssd

Maybe it's just me. It just seems silly to spend that much money and not get the full advantage of the drive.
11-11-2014, 07:58 PM #10
Maybe it's just me. It just seems silly to spend that much money and not get the full advantage of the drive.

I've actually bought the SSD for my old laptop but it is now broken so I use the drive for the Ps3.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo