Post: Worried about a overheating PS3? Read this for advice!
05-17-2015, 05:12 PM #1
Zach_Trout
Bounty hunter
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); From time to time, I read a thread about someone saying that their system no longer boots up or shuts down unexpectedly. This irritates me SO much. So, I figured I would make this in order to save people time.

- If you are on CEX refer to this site for a solution. You must login or register to view this content.

-If you are on DEX firmware of at least 4.50≤ (Less than or equal to is what that means) I would recommend using this link (It will download instantly. Link is directly from ITA site) You must login or register to view this content.

If you are DEX firmware greater than 4.50, I recommend using this You must login or register to view this content. If this does not boot up I would advise that you downgrade to a compatible firmware. To do this, you will need to toggle QA flagging. This should be available in Rebug toolbox. For safety, install this .pkg. You must login or register to view this content. Link is from Rebug.me I am using 4.50 ITA. Link: You must login or register to view this content.
The password (According to the site) is cervelletto

The fan speed I use is 8A or 8F (About 55% in webman if I remember correctly)
Temps after playing GTAO for a few hours
CPU-53-57C (55C average which is about 131F)
RSX- 53-59C (About the same average)

A thing to remember is that I have a slim model. I am not sure what temperatures a fat model would average at. So experiment!

Although it runs loudly, A over-ear headset should block out most of the noise. I adapted to mine.

IN SUMMARY, I believe this is a necessary thing for smooth operation of your PS3 as replacing thermal paste or reballing in rare cases can be a hassle. So save your time.

=D

UPDATE: Once you boot up ITA manager and complete the setup (Only if it's your first time) press the start button, scroll down to Tools. There should be a option labeled as "Control Fan & USB Wakeup"
select that and at the top there will be 3 options. 1. Payload which is a slightly more accelerated version of default. 2. SYSCON Which is the system default 3. By User or simply User. To highlight, press RIGHT on the Dpad until it is highlighted in a Green color. Then press down. Under the words "Fan Mode" it will say "User/Shutdown Speed". Highlight over it and press R1 to increase the fan speed to the speed I personally use (8A), or your liking. When finished, Hit "Set Settings" near the bottom right hand corner. If you are using 8A or 8F as I, it will sound like a jet engine starting. (If you think that's loud, try FF!) NOTE: This is important, this will not be the system default speed when the system is powered on, To activate your personal fan speed again before playing, just run ITA manager or Control fan and exit. Sorry about the confusion. If this is a problem for you, try Rebug 4.65.2 and install WEBMAN to the XMB. This is actually a very useful tool. Within Webman, you can set the system fan speed on startup and never have to run ITA manager or Control Fan again! I use older firmwares for compatibility reasons so this is up to you. Good Luck!
Last edited by Zach_Trout ; 05-19-2015 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Updated directions while actually near my PS3 ;)

The following 4 users say thank you to Zach_Trout for this useful post:

DesperateAsshole, QuantumRTM, WeHostModdedXP, xMuzzModzx
05-17-2015, 07:36 PM #2
ZackFairFF7X
Can’t trickshot me!
Yeah, I recently had overheating issues ( one time CPU reached 86 °C, god.. )
I've put fan speed to 55% like you and now I can play.. even if yeah, it's a bit loud.
Here the weather is already a bit hot, I imagine how it will be in full summer.. I think that a simply fan speed changing can resolve my problem only for now, and that later I'll have to replace thermal paste :\

The following 2 users say thank you to ZackFairFF7X for this useful post:

Tipton_Modz, Zach_Trout
05-17-2015, 08:16 PM #3
Yea, this is a good post. Thanks for the advice.

The following user thanked DemBlackhawks for this useful post:

Zach_Trout
05-18-2015, 03:56 AM #4
Zach_Trout
Bounty hunter
If you have a slim model like I do...
What I found to be helpful is to take the top lid off of the system and make a accurate mental position of where the lid sits above the fan and drill multiple holes through the case (Do NOT do this above the system, you don't want the pieces of plastic going into parts of your system where excessive heat is common. I wouldn't think it'd melt but don't do it just to be safe) after you drill the holes in the lid, find a old shirt or any cloth and cut a section out of it that will cover the holes you have made. After you line it up the way you want, put tape around the corners of the cloth to hold it in place. The cloth will help filter out dust and other small particles while still getting a small increase in airflow. Before I had done this myself, I had been using the same fan speeds as listed in this thread and got nearly the same temperatures but my goal was to stay under 60C and after awhile before drilling they stated slowly climbing closer to 60c. The rest you know... It won't look appealing.. The way I look at it is to save it as much as possible before it is a necessity to change the paste. Give it a shot! Smile
05-18-2015, 04:47 AM #5
Dog88Christian
Hail to the King, Baby!
Originally posted by Trout View Post
From time to time, I read a thread about someone saying that their system no longer boots up or shuts down unexpectedly. This irritates me SO much. So, I figured I would make this in order to save people time.

- If you are on CEX refer to this site for a solution. You must login or register to view this content.

-If you are on DEX firmware of at least 4.50≤ (Less than or equal to is what that means) I would recommend using this link (It will download instantly. Link is directly from ITA site) You must login or register to view this content.

If you are DEX firmware greater than 4.50, I recommend using this You must login or register to view this content. If this does not boot up I would advise that you downgrade to a compatible firmware. To do this, you will need to toggle QA flagging. This should be available in Rebug toolbox. For safety, install this .pkg. You must login or register to view this content. Link is from Rebug.me I am using 4.50 ITA. Link: You must login or register to view this content.
The password (According to the site) is cervelletto

The fan speed I use is 8A or 8F (About 55% in webman if I remember correctly)
Temps after playing GTAO for a few hours
CPU-53-57C (55C average which is about 131F)
RSX- 53-59C (About the same average)

A thing to remember is that I have a slim model. I am not sure what temperatures a fat model would average at. So experiment!

Although it runs loudly, A over-ear headset should block out most of the noise. I adapted to mine.

IN SUMMARY, I believe this is a necessary thing for smooth operation of your PS3 as replacing thermal paste or reballing in rare cases can be a hassle. So save your time.

=D

There's no way to permanently make your fan go at that speed right? It would have to be redone again?!
05-18-2015, 01:14 PM #6
ZackFairFF7X
Can’t trickshot me!
Originally posted by Dog88Christian View Post
There's no way to permanently make your fan go at that speed right? It would have to be redone again?!

You can if you set speed with webMAN
05-18-2015, 01:56 PM #7
Dog88Christian
Hail to the King, Baby!
Originally posted by ZackFairFF7X View Post
You can if you set speed with webMAN

Doesn't it reset once the system is turned off?
05-18-2015, 04:17 PM #8
Originally posted by ZackFairFF7X View Post
Yeah, I recently had overheating issues ( one time CPU reached 86 °C, god.. )
I've put fan speed to 55% like you and now I can play.. even if yeah, it's a bit loud.
Here the weather is already a bit hot, I imagine how it will be in full summer.. I think that a simply fan speed changing can resolve my problem only for now, and that later I'll have to replace thermal paste :\

I had also overheating problems... I changed the Thermalpaste and now it is much more enjoyable.
You can have my PS3 Temperature Monitoring Tool. It is for your Windows Computer and it uses CCAPI.

You can find it here: You must login or register to view this content.
05-18-2015, 08:11 PM #9
Zach_Trout
Bounty hunter
Originally posted by Dog88Christian View Post
Doesn't it reset once the system is turned off?

If you set the fan speeds in Webman, it will stay at the percentage you set it at when you reboot your console. Smile
05-18-2015, 08:12 PM #10
Zach_Trout
Bounty hunter
Originally posted by SnipeLike View Post
I had also overheating problems... I changed the Thermalpaste and now it is much more enjoyable.
You can have my PS3 Temperature Monitoring Tool. It is for your Windows Computer and it uses CCAPI.

You can find it here: You must login or register to view this content.

If it uses CCAPI, why would one need this exactly? Temp readings are provided in CCAPI when you connect. Good idea though!

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo