Post: Repair Playstation / Xbox Consoles From: YLOD | RLOD | RROD and Start Selling Them
10-08-2015, 12:58 PM #1
Helping-Hand
Cake is a lie
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Hey NGU Members,

Today I'm going to show you how to Repair Playstation / Xbox Consoles From: YLOD | RLOD | RROD and Start Selling Them. I will show you how you can fix consoles and sell them for Profit... However, I should add that you must buy the equipment for this, totalling at $614 or £400... I will list everything you will need to repair these consoles... I will also show you how you can make a profit from scrap motherboards etc... I will be showing you how to do this in 10 steps...

Requirements

- Rework Station : Preferably a high quality one such as the "T870A Rework Station" Costs around $300 or £200

- Soldering Station : Preferably a high quality brand such as the "HAKKO FX-888D" Cost around $150 or £100

- Heat Station : Can be any brand, would suggest getting an "Scotle 858D" Cost around $60 or $40

- Stationary Equipment: Flux, Goot Wick, Solder, Thermal Paste, Kapton Tape, Aluminium Tape, Tips For Soldering Iron Cost around $50 or £30

- Equipment For Reballing - Stencils, Reballing Jig, Safety Glasses, Safety Gloves Cost around $80 or £50

- I've listed top quality brands here, if you want to go cheaper you can save much more and invest that into something

Pictures of what all the equipment looks likes

Rework Station

You must login or register to view this content.

Soldering Station

Heat Station

Stationary Equipment

Equipment For Reballing

Step 1: Remove the motherboard from the console you are wanting to repair... I've listed below what it looks like... Don't damage the boards...

There are plenty of Videos on Youtube and the web on how to do this... Preferably type on your search engine "IFIXIT PS3 Mother Board Removal"

Step 2: Identifying what the problem is, what's making your console not work... In this case it would be the RSX Chip (GPU)

Step 3: Understanding why this could have happened

Many times when your playing on your console you hardly think about how much heat your console is producing, since most likely your are focusing on the game your playing...

Sometimes under the RSX chip a solder ball could crack and no longer have contact with both the RSX and the motherboard... Like seen in the picture...

Sometimes under the RSX chip a solder ball could break off, this could happen due to you dropping your console... or even allowing the console to heat up when it reaches the point of separation form both the board and the motherboard. This is seen in the picture...

Sometimes and most commonly the main reason for getting a YLOD is because the solder balls combined/joined up... This is seen in the picture...

Step 4: Getting the motherboard ready for reballing

Using either your Kapton Tape or Aluminium Tape protect the surface around your RSX Chip

Step 5: Using your Rework Station to remove the RSX chip

Place your motherboard on your Rework Station and preheat it until it reaches 140 Celsius or 284 Fahrenheit... Once your board reaches either 140C or 284F place your heat lamp on the RSX Chip and turn it on... Once you see the temperature reaching 240C or 464F... Remove the RSX Chip carefully using a suction pen or you could you a flat head screw driver to flip it on it's side... However, I would suggest using a section pen...

After you remove the chip it should look like this...

Step 6: Using your Soldering Iron with Goot Wick and Flux to remove the Sodler Balls from the motherboard and the chip

You need to remove all the solder from both the motherboard and the chip... Apply some flux to the motherboard and then using your Goot Wick/Solder Braid drag place your Iron on the soldering Wick and drag it along the solder balls... You are looking for a clean and smooth surface... Do the same thing to the RSX chip...

Here is a picture of how you would drag your iron across

Here is a picture of how it should look like after you cleaned it up

Step 7: Applying new solder balls to the RSX Chip (The "Solder Balls" need to be 0.60mm across the diameter)

Place your RSX chip in the Reballing Jig along with the correct stencil... Here is an image of what it should look like...

Once you placed your RSX chip in the Reballing Jig drop some solder balls (0.60mm) on the stencil until you see every single hole has been filled...

Here is an image of what it should look like...

Step 8: Using your Heating Station / Heat Gun hover of the balls with a temperature of around 350C or 660F

You need to make sure all the balls have fallen through the stencil and landed on the RSX chip... Here is an image of what is should look like once you remove the reballed Chip from the stencil...

Step 9: Resolder the RSX Chip back onto the motherboard... this is the same process as removing it...

Position the RSX Chip correctly on the Motherboard... Once you have done that preheat the board at the temperature of 140 Celsius or 284 Fahrenheit... Once it reaches 140C or 284F turn on the heating lamp and set it to 240C or 464F... Once your board reaches 240C or 464F allow everything to cool down...

Once everything has been re-soldered it should look like this...

Step 10: Applying Thermal Paste to the RSX Chip

Using your Thermal Paste apply it to the RSX Chip once you have done that it should look like this... Make you don't apply to much... Just apply enough... Normally two drops of thermal paste should be enough...

Once you have done that assemble your PS3 back to normally and plug it in and you will notice your problem has gone... I should add that you should still buy motherboards for cheap to remove the: HDMI Ports, AV Ports etc... and sell them separately... This has been my tutorial on how you can fix a console.

The following 9 users say thank you to Helping-Hand for this useful post:

Raiden, bench2012, Connorrox2, elgolumm, iiiCenTurY, pktman12345, xXx-.-Moder
10-13-2015, 08:19 AM #2
Helping-Hand
Cake is a lie
Bump.
10-13-2015, 06:24 PM #3
Default Avatar
Kas
Originally posted by Hand View Post
Bump.

Very good thread man. But there's not really much need to bump a tutorial thread.

The following user thanked Kas for this useful post:

Helping-Hand
10-14-2015, 08:14 AM #4
Helping-Hand
Cake is a lie
Originally posted by Kas View Post
Very good thread man. But there's not really much need to bump a tutorial thread.

I Know... but it's going to get lost with all the other threads...
10-17-2015, 09:44 AM #5
Helping-Hand
Cake is a lie
Bump.
10-17-2015, 10:39 AM #6
Adrian
Adrian is back!
Bump.

It doesn't matter if it gets lost. There is no need to bump it. If people want the tutorial they will search it and come across it. Great thread though.

The following user thanked Adrian for this useful post:

Helping-Hand
10-21-2015, 10:30 AM #7
you are a god. i need to bookmark this

The following user thanked 671mykk for this useful post:

Helping-Hand
10-21-2015, 10:31 AM #8
Helping-Hand
Cake is a lie
Originally posted by 671mykk View Post
you are a god. i need to bookmark this

HaHa thanks man :p
02-03-2016, 11:57 AM #9
ymh
Treasure hunter
this thread is good, the method i was using before worked but this is a better method to solder the balls and get the rsx off and less likely to fail within after 6 months - 3 year Smile though you there's more to it there you have mentioned making the title misleading this only covers reballing though that is the hardest thing to fix on the ps3 well for me apart from a board in disrepair, as for xbox i've never had any reason to pull out the fan so idk what it's like underneath but in saying that this is still helpful so thanks Smile i should get some of these tools
02-03-2016, 02:45 PM #10
Raiden
Banned
HaHa thanks man :p

Lovely tutorial there buddy. Should help a lot of people out. Also should be stickied IMO.

I have a suggestion. Whilst people are at the teardown stage, they could at this point introduce a cooling mod to help with the prevention of overheating in the future.
Either extra ventilation in the casing, or fan mods. (If it's their console of course. If not, it's something they could add to the "repair service" to add to the income they could generate).

All in all, a nice detailed tutorial.

The following user thanked Raiden for this useful post:

Helping-Hand

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo