03-16-2010, 04:45 AM #1
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Hey guys! I am kinda curious why nobody does any lights or etches on the PS3...They have a lot of room, even though stuff is packed in. I just got finished with my 40GB system, at least the lights. White on top, color changing (red-green-blue) on intake/exhaust.
[ATTACH]958[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]959[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]960[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]961[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]962[/ATTACH]

I have more plans for it - the top of the power supply is off because I am forming plexiglass to the curve of it and etching the Final Fantasy logo (since America didn't get anything cool for the release of 13...) and am gonna try to cut out the badge (Sony Computer Entertainment, Inc.) on the bottom to make it glow too. So far I think I have 45 LEDs in it, but the power drain isn't bad. Doesn't lag up the system or take anything away from it. They are wired to the 12V in the power supply, so they are pulling from the actual supply instead of the motherboard. Any comments are appreciated!

The following 4 users say thank you to millerlite546 for this useful post:

Cpt.S, KOOLAID106, ps3user123, S e t h
03-20-2010, 04:56 AM #11
That's my worklog...I can give a few extra pics of the inside:
I ran the LEDs through the shroud and around the right side of the system.
[ATTACH]1071[/ATTACH]
Along the right side I doubled up the LEDs and put them at different angles. I know it was gonna get enough light with one, but if I'm gonna do something I'm goin all out!
[ATTACH]1069[/ATTACH]
Across the front I glued them to the recesses for the front hinges. They don't get in the way of the hinges if you have them in right.
[ATTACH]1071[/ATTACH]
For a place to tap into for power refer to my post on ledlightingandmods.com

I just finished forming the plexiglass, but what blows is that there isn't enough clearance on the inside to fit it...I think I'm gonna find some real thin clear plastic and forget about the etch...wish it fit, but you can't always have everything...still gonna cut the SCEI logo out of the bottom and light it up (more lights yay!!!)
Last edited by battman411 ; 07-04-2010 at 03:10 AM. Reason: Site link
03-20-2010, 05:32 AM #12
thegreat22
I am The Cyber Police!
Dude thats sick! nice work. How much did all the LEDs cost? I would love to do something like this but I wouldn't even know where to start but these guys in my hometown dude Xboxs think they could handle it?
03-20-2010, 12:25 PM #13
smooth_chaos
Pokemon Trainer
nice work with the customization Happy .. keep up the creativeness and you never know sony may get some ideas off you Happy lol..
03-21-2010, 01:14 AM #14
yeah well...i want money then!!Happy

as far as the LEDs are concerned, the white ones are like 18 cents each and i think the color changing ones are 22 cents...for the wire i go to goodwill and buy a crapload of ethernet cables. $1-1.50 for 8 feet times 8 wires...not bad. i dont know if your local shop will do it...even the fat ps3s have a lot of clearance issues depending on where you put the leds. this probably took the better part of 8 hours to do the cutting, soldering and gluing of the lights, but then again there are 45 in there so far...still figuring out what i wanna do with the power supply.

never hurts to ask them, but be prepared to pay out the butt for something they might not have done before! i think i would charge about $125-150 to do it, because of the labor involved.
03-21-2010, 09:16 PM #15
B-Killa
Save Point
Tnx millerlite546, imma go on that site right now. n I gotta learn how to post pics.(lol, im a noob). cause i have an xbox360 with leds that i want to show also my ps3 slim.
03-22-2010, 05:30 PM #16
lol that is awsome! i want it! u should change the led of the green and blue one on the fron where it says when its on and if the disc is in
03-28-2010, 08:42 PM #17
jmtitan10
Bounty hunter
dude that is pretty legit
04-14-2010, 02:19 PM #18
Hey guys I just finished it up!
I decided to do the etch on the power supply and skip the idea of cutting out the SECI logo. It was difficult to start, so I just bondo'd it. The etch is set in a plastic, not in plexi. The plexi wouldn't fit; it hit the heatsinks on the chips. The plastic i used is about the same as the packaging of the AT&T GO phones.

The etch
[ATTACH]1207[/ATTACH]

Lights in it (3 color changing and 9 blue)
[ATTACH]1208[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]1209[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]1211[/ATTACH]

And the finished top!
[ATTACH]1210[/ATTACH]

It's up on eBay right now for $500 OBO, buy it now gets free shipping and an Akimbo rapid fire kit for the controller. The PayPal fees are outrageous and that's why its so high ($28 plus the listing fees if it sells) and shipping is like $30. When this one sells I think I'm gonna do another one
04-23-2010, 05:40 PM #19
jmtitan10
Bounty hunter
woaahh! that is awesome!

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo