Post: [NEWS:]► "OtherOS" class-action lawsuit: GeoHot, Sony now share same charge
02-21-2011, 10:02 PM #1
ryan saa
At least I can fight
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});
You must login or register to view this content.

For those wondering what's been happening with the OtherOS lawsuit... Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) filed a motion to dismiss. The court granted the motion but only partially. It has dismissed all claims against Sony except for one... the allegation that SCEA violated the You must login or register to view this content.. This means Geohot and Sony are now both charged with the same thing in separate cases!

Originally posted by another user
The claims against Sony in the ongoing class-action lawsuit dealing with the removal of the "OtherOS" functionality in the PlayStation 3 hardware have all been dropped, save for one: a claim that Sony violated the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act by removing the ability to run Linux. This is the same law under which Sony is suing George Hotz for hacking the PS3, in fact.

One of Sony's defenses is rather interesting, as the company claims that it had no way of knowing gamers who bought the hardware would want to use these functions for the life of the system, and the multiple warranties and Terms of Service all said that Sony had the right to remove functions from the hardware. From the court documents filed by Sony:

To establish the implied warranty of fitness existed, Plaintiffs must allege that SCEA had “reason to know” of their special purpose, i.e., to use the PS3 in perpetuity for all advertised features and functions including the Other OS; that Plaintiffs relied on SCEA’s expertise; and that SCEA had “reason to know” of their reliance on the continued availability of all features and functions. Plaintiffs have not only failed to allege these requisite facts, they indeed cannot due to the explicit language of SCEA’s Warranty, SSLA, and Terms of Service. Specifically, because SCEA had the right to terminate or alter any feature or function, it had no reason to believe that Plaintiffs purchased their PS3s particularly with the expectation and belief that all features, including the Other OS, would be available for the “life” of the PS3.

Sony is arguing that your system needs to keep all the features it was sold with for the length of its warranty, and then after that time, removal of any function is fair game. "I think the problem is that in order to accept the notion that Sony made an unauthorized intrusion onto the plaintiffs' PS3s, you have to start with the assumption that what was 'disabled' was something that the plaintiffs had an ownership interest in..." Sony's laywer argued.

He continued, saying that gamers had a choice. "We're talking about if you are so interested in keeping this one feature, then you're not going to be able to access the PSN anymore. You may not be able to play some games. But that is not hacking into somebody's computer, which is the essence of the [Computer Fraud and Abuse Act]." This isn't a matter of accepting or declining a software update, it's the problem of Sony placing consumers in a position where they lose functionality no matter what they do. That may be a tough sell to the court.

Groklaw has a great article on the entirety of the court case, and we urge you to read it. The ins and outs of this case deal with much more than gaming consoles and Linux, and go into the idea of a warranty, and what's expected of modern electronics. We'll continue to follow the story as it develops.

Last edited by ryan saa ; 02-21-2011 at 10:04 PM.

The following 10 users say thank you to ryan saa for this useful post:

ᴬustin_Powers, Ares-NoLimit, Geeqoh, iNoxx, joejn27, mEdiivalXvirrus, Micah344, shaneod, tambiya786, xpotato
02-21-2011, 10:03 PM #2
iNoxx
Do a barrel roll!
Lol sony just pwnt themselves.
02-21-2011, 10:06 PM #3
Siike
Gym leader
Sony **** up know lol
02-21-2011, 10:08 PM #4
Winning
Former Staff
Sony... Them noobs. Just like you. Unless your reading this. Then your a pro.

The following user thanked Winning for this useful post:

Wark-Ferrari
02-21-2011, 10:38 PM #5
viralhysteria
Who didn't see this coming?
02-21-2011, 10:44 PM #6
xShadow
Pr0n ftw
Hahahaha, sony got themselves in trouble, thats what they get for messing with the man
02-21-2011, 10:46 PM #7
SupaTrollioBros
I can has potato!
Karma.

'nuff said.

The following user thanked SupaTrollioBros for this useful post:

The Overdose
02-21-2011, 11:02 PM #8
Originally posted by ryan

For those wondering what's been happening with the OtherOS lawsuit... Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) filed a motion to dismiss. The court granted the motion but only partially. It has dismissed all claims against Sony except for one... the allegation that SCEA violated the You must login or register to view this content.. This means Geohot and Sony are now both charged with the same thing in separate cases!

Well will you look at you ryan, your Creating Your thread...NextGenTactics Stylez!Claps

does this make you my bit0ch? ..lmao!!

The following user thanked NextGenTactics for this useful post:

way360
02-21-2011, 11:14 PM #9
ryan saa
At least I can fight
Originally posted by NextGenTactics View Post

Well will you look at you ryan, your Creating Your thread...NextGenTactics Stylez!Claps

does this make you my bit0ch? ..lmao!!

Lol, well kind of. I have to admit it does look better than just doing nothing to it.:p
02-21-2011, 11:23 PM #10
Goone
Looking for Suzzy
Originally posted by SupaTrollioBros View Post
Karma.

'nuff said.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo