Post: How To Play MKV content on PS3 - No Quality Loss(7 Steps)
06-04-2009, 04:53 PM #1
Louenia
Little One
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); How to play MKV content on PlayStation 3 (M2TS)

Introduction & Requirements:

Step 1: Download TsMuxer from the link and extract all the files to a folder using WinRAR.

The PlayStation 3 (PS3) console does not support the MKV / Matroska container, but it will support much of the audio and video that can be stored in the MKV container. This guide assumes that the video and audio of your MKV file are H.264 / AVC and AC3 audio. For the record, DTS audio will work with this process.

TsMuxer:

Code:
You must login or register to view this content.
Winrar: Optional

Code:
You must login or register to view this content.
Step 2:Open TsMuxerGUI.exe

After you have extracted all the files from WinRAR to a folder, run the TsMuxerGUI.exe file. This program is not very complicated at all but what it achieves is ground breaking for PS3 video. This process used to take quite a while, but TsMuxer automates nearly the entire process now.

Anyway, let's get on with it. Make sure you are in the Input tab. Look at the blank Input files field, click the Add button beside this.

tsMuxer Interface

Step 3: Open MKV file

Browse through your Hard Disk Drive for the folder that contains the MKV file that you want to play on the PlayStation 3 (PS3) console. Double-click it when you find it.

TsMuxer will now take a moment to analyze the file before it shows you any streams.

Open MKV File

Step 4: Check Stream Information

If the MKV file was opened successfully, you should now be able to see the type of streams that you have in your MKV file. In mine, I have H.264 / AVC video (1280 x 720) running at 23.976fps (click to enlarge picture) and AC3 5.1 audio, very nice.

However, there is a problem. Look closely at the track info for my video. It says..

Profile: [email protected]

This is not good because the PS3 only supports up to Level 4.1, not 5.1. However, the fix for this is easy and built right into the tsMuxer program.

MKV stream information

Step 5: Change AVC video to Level 4.1

Select the AVC stream that is set to Level 5.1 (if you have 4.1 or lower, skip this step) and you will see the options before the Tracks list changes (check my picture, click to enlarge).

Beside the Change Level option is a box. Click it and a green tick will appear. Now click the drop-down box and select 4.1 from the list. This should ensure that the video will play correctly.

Change AVC video to Level 4.1

Step 6: Set to M2TS Muxing

By default, tsMuxer is set to TS Muxing, which won't work for this process. Simply select the M2TS muxing option as I have done in my picture (click to enlarge). The option is located under Output.

You also can now choose where to save the new M2TS file if you wish, although the default will be the same folder and filename as the original MKV, but with a .m2ts extension. This is usually fine.

When you have done all of the above, click the Start Muxing button.

Output = m2TS Muxing

Step 7: The Process

How long this process will take depends on the length of the original MKV file, and of course, it's file size. Hope that there will be no errors!

Processing

Finally

The following user thanked Louenia for this useful post:

06-04-2009, 04:58 PM #2
NGUWhitey
NGU's OG
What is MKV?

-Whitey
06-04-2009, 05:06 PM #3
Louenia
Little One
MKV is just a multimedia container format that can contain so many kinds media formats developed by Matroska. It can hold different types of video and audio. For example, there might be an .AVI file contained within the .MKV file.
06-04-2009, 05:37 PM #4
fraz422
PS3 Guru
or use avi like a normal person.
06-04-2009, 06:00 PM #5
Louenia
Little One
stop hating fraz lol.
06-04-2009, 06:08 PM #6
fraz422
PS3 Guru
hating :L how did i say your post was shit :L
06-04-2009, 06:13 PM #7
Louenia
Little One
lol .. tru tru :P

---------- Post added at 06:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:12 PM ----------

dnt forget the rep llol...
06-04-2009, 06:24 PM #8
fraz422
PS3 Guru
i already knew :P try make some videos about it. its easy to copy and paste.
06-04-2009, 06:28 PM #9
Louenia
Little One
still good findd thoo???
oohh commee onn.. like u didnt copy nd paste for ur debugging thread.. mister hipercrictical. GOSH...
06-04-2009, 06:58 PM #10
Copy and paste I don't care. It helped me thanks. MKV are usually a bit better quality than AVI and more people are starting to use MKV than AVI.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo