Post: PS3 Green Light Of Death Possible Fixes That I Have Used For Consoles
08-02-2015, 11:01 PM #1
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Hello everyone,

A while ago i was looking into how to fix the green light of death or "GLOD". When searching around on the internet I found out many different things that cause this problem and possible fixes for it. I have had a look on NGU and i haven't found a fix for this in the forums so I thought I would post one. I have had a total of 9 PS3's 4 phats and 4 slims and 1 super slim with this problem. I have managed to get 8 of them working again with these methods and have got rid of them now as they were not needed.

List of problems that cause the Green Light Of death.

Quick flash of the Green Light
1. HDD/Hard drive failure.
Possible fix:
Remove your HDD/hard drive and see if your PS3 will boot up. If you PS3 does you should see this screen after a few seconds

Fat No HDD detected Screen
You must login or register to view this content.
Slim & Super Slim No HDD detected Screen

Solid Green Light No display at all.

This is a good video that should help you guys for this kinda of problem.

2. If this didn't help try and use a different HDMI cable. If you don't get a signal try the standard AV/composite cable that came with the PS3. Any one of these cables even 3rd party ones or ones from the PS1/2 will work. If you get a signal once you reset the video/display settings "If you don't know how to do it google How to reset PS3 video" then your HDMI cable could be broken. Try another one and you still don't get a signal through HDMI then try a different T.V. If that still doesn't fix your HDMI video then you could have a broken HDMI port on your console.

Solid Green Light none of the above worked.
Before you attempt any of this make sure the PS3 is out of warranty. If you damage the console its your responsibility not mine. Do these steps at your own risk.
If you saw a screen like this before you PS3 started having the GLOD then you RSX is pretty much fried.
Image Bellow:
If you have a spare PS3 motherboard and you know the RSX still works on that spare board I recommend you get someone to do a reball for you and swap the RSX's around. All PS3's RSX are the same and there is no problem swapping them around. I done this to one of the Phat PS3's i picked up and it works fine.

If the above one is to much for you there is some other options. You could always do a reflow on the RSX and reapply the thermal compound or a full reflow. Another option that has a fairly good success rate is too bake the mother board in a oven.

Bellow are two excellent Youtubers who can help you with reflowing if you haven't done it before.
Ultra NSC
Gilksy

The final option and the one I least recommend is the 4 penny trick or a 1-2mm thick sheet of copper. This one is a temporary fix and once the console dies again its time to go back to the first option in this category.
YouTube Video for the 4 penny Trick.

This apply's for the copper sheet as well. Cut it down to the size of the RSX and CPU if you want and then do the same in the video. I never had any success with this so that's why i don't recommend it.

Green Light flashes and console turns off after system update OFW/CFW "Bricked Console"
This is really rare with OFW consoles but If this happens to you there is a solution but it requires a E3 flasher or some sort of flashing device.
Heres a link to a exelent thread about it:
If you are on CFW and don't have a back up use the link above.

If you are on CFW and have a original nor/nand back up from when you downgraded it you in luck. Use an E3 flasher or another type of flasher to restore the orignal nor/nand.
There are plenty of videos on YouTube on how to do this so i won't post a link.

If none of the above have worked look at the mother board and look for anything loose on the motherboard. This is literally looking for a needle in a haystack. If you can't find anything then you can't fix it. All the above should work if the board hasn't been broken in anyway. Examples off the board being broken in some way: Console struck with a lot of force. Console been drooped or thrown across a room. Motherboard has water damage or has something spilt over it e.g. soft drink/soda. If anything like this has happened to the console you cannot fix it.
What model of console is the GLOD most common on?
Over the time i have been repairing PS3's I have a list of PS3 models that I think are the most common to the GLOD.
List:
PS3 Phat 40GB CECHG** PAL
PS3 Phat 60GB CECHC** PAL
PS3 Phat 60GB CECHA** NTSC
PS3 Phat 80GB CECHK** PAL
PS3 Slim 160GB CECH-25**A PAL "Had a total of 6 of these over the last few years and these models are terrible.
PS3 Slim 320GB CECH-30**B
PS3 SSlim 12GB CECH-42**A
PS3 SSlim 500GB CECH-43**C

As you can see from the list I mostly deal with PAL consoles as i'm in the UK. If anyone has some more info on NTSC and JAP consoles that would be brilliant.

The following user thanked mrhacks97 for this useful post:

tristanbr
08-04-2015, 03:01 PM #2
Default Avatar
Kas
Originally posted by mrhacks97 View Post
Hello everyone,

A while ago i was looking into how to fix the green light of death or "GLOD". When searching around on the internet I found out many different things that cause this problem and possible fixes for it. I have had a look on NGU and i haven't found a fix for this in the forums so I thought I would post one. I have had a total of 9 PS3's 4 phats and 4 slims and 1 super slim with this problem. I have managed to get 8 of them working again with these methods and have got rid of them now as they were not needed.

Possible fix:
Remove your HDD/hard drive and see if your PS3 will boot up. If you PS3 does you should see this screen after a few seconds

2. If this didn't help try and use a different HDMI cable. If you don't get a signal try the standard AV/composite cable that came with the PS3. Any one of these cables even 3rd party ones or ones from the PS1/2 will work. If you get a signal once you reset the video/display settings "If you don't know how to do it google How to reset PS3 video" then your HDMI cable could be broken. Try another one and you still don't get a signal through HDMI then try a different T.V. If that still doesn't fix your HDMI video then you could have a broken HDMI port on your console.

Before you attempt any of this make sure the PS3 is out of warranty. If you damage the console its your responsibility not mine. Do these steps at your own risk.
If you saw a screen like this before you PS3 started having the GLOD then you RSX is pretty much fried.
Image Bellow:
If you have a spare PS3 motherboard and you know the RSX still works on that spare board I recommend you get someone to do a reball for you and swap the RSX's around. All PS3's RSX are the same and there is no problem swapping them around. I done this to one of the Phat PS3's i picked up and it works fine.

If the above one is to much for you there is some other options. You could always do a reflow on the RSX and reapply the thermal compound or a full reflow. Another option that has a fairly good success rate is too bake the mother board in a oven.

Bellow are two excellent Youtubers who can help you with reflowing if you haven't done it before.
Ultra NSC
Gilksy

The final option and the one I least recommend is the 4 penny trick or a 1-2mm thick sheet of copper. This one is a temporary fix and once the console dies again its time to go back to the first option in this category.

This apply's for the copper sheet as well. Cut it down to the size of the RSX and CPU if you want and then do the same in the video. I never had any success with this so that's why i don't recommend it.

Green Light flashes and console turns off after system update OFW/CFW "Bricked Console"
This is really rare with OFW consoles but If this happens to you there is a solution but it requires a E3 flasher or some sort of flashing device.

If you are on CFW and have a original nor/nand back up from when you downgraded it you in luck. Use an E3 flasher or another type of flasher to restore the orignal nor/nand.

If none of the above have worked look at the mother board and look for anything loose on the motherboard. This is literally looking for a needle in a haystack. If you can't find anything then you can't fix it. All the above should work if the board hasn't been broken in anyway. Examples off the board being broken in some way: Console struck with a lot of force. Console been drooped or thrown across a room. Motherboard has water damage or has something spilt over it e.g. soft drink/soda. If anything like this has happened to the console you cannot fix it.
Over the time i have been repairing PS3's I have a list of PS3 models that I think are the most common to the GLOD.
List:
PS3 Slim 160GB CECH-25**A PAL "Had a total of 6 of these over the last few years and these models are terrible.

As you can see from the list I mostly deal with PAL consoles as i'm in the UK. If anyone has some more info on NTSC and JAP consoles that would be brilliant.

Thread moved to PS3 Cheats and Customization, more people will see this great thread there. Thanks for this man.
08-04-2015, 03:04 PM #3
Sen
:usa: :usa:
Originally posted by mrhacks97 View Post
Hello everyone,

Possible fix:

Image Bellow:

Ultra NSC
Gilksy

List:

Great thread buddy, I'm sure this will help some people!

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo