01-05-2016, 09:15 PM #1
Raiden
Banned
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Ok, as the title states I am looking for a tool that slices through plastic like a knife through butter.

Has anyone personally used any specific tools to cut/shape plastics? I need, if possible, an all round tool for various shapes, curves, you name it.

I saw on eBay a "hot knife cutting tool" basically is what it says. Anyone used one? Is it good?

I'm planning on picking up a few spare top covers for the PS3 Slim and transferring various designs/patterns onto them (preferably above the fan). Then turning the designs into a vent with modded a LED fan and dust cover fixed to the underside of the case.

I have a great idea lined up that I'll share with NGU, but I just need to find the right tool for the job.

If you have any knowledge to or experience of any specific tools, please let me know as I'm looking into purchasing one.

Cheers Happy
01-05-2016, 09:43 PM #2
Dro
i<3myPs3
Originally posted by 87 View Post
Ok, as the title states I am looking for a tool that slices through plastic like a knife through butter.

Has anyone personally used any specific tools to cut/shape plastics? I need, if possible, an all round tool for various shapes, curves, you name it.

I saw on eBay a "hot knife cutting tool" basically is what it says. Anyone used one? Is it good?

I'm planning on picking up a few spare top covers for the PS3 Slim and transferring various designs/patterns onto them (preferably above the fan). Then turning the designs into a vent with modded a LED fan and dust cover fixed to the underside of the case.

I have a great idea lined up that I'll share with NGU, but I just need to find the right tool for the job.

If you have any knowledge to or experience of any specific tools, please let me know as I'm looking into purchasing one.

Cheers Happy

All that is needed is a dremel and an assortment of bits.

use masking tape on top of the ps3
draw it out
cut it out

Although, with leds you can shine through a fat ps3's top cover, its tinted but transparent so you could cut into the inner top cover for a nice effect.

heres a couple ive done

You must login or register to view this content.

Last edited by Dro ; 01-05-2016 at 09:46 PM.

The following user thanked Dro for this useful post:

Raiden
01-05-2016, 10:01 PM #3
Raiden
Banned
Originally posted by DRObythePoUnD View Post
All that is needed is a dremel and an assortment of bits.

use masking tape on top of the ps3
draw it out
cut it out

Although, with leds you can shine through a fat ps3's top cover, its tinted but transparent so you could cut into the inner top cover for a nice effect.

heres a couple ive done

They look cool. I have a Slim PS3 so the top casing isn't tinted it's solid plastic.

How does the Dremel behave when attempting curves? I've looked at some of the bits you can get for them but I'm wanting something I can kind of craft and cut with at the same time (For a specific idea I have).

I have other ideas which the Dremel is a no brainer for, such as hole drilling, cutting out straight line shapes etc.

I'm wondering if there's an attachment for one that'll allow me to, in effect carve and cut as I go. Doesn't have to cut to the exact final line, as I would be filing for a smooth finish.

I have the dimensions for the specific location on the top case in which needs cutting to marry up with the addition of an LED fan.

Dimensions for the slim case

And yes, masking tape is a must Happy
Last edited by Raiden ; 01-05-2016 at 10:07 PM.
01-05-2016, 10:08 PM #4
Dro
i<3myPs3
They look cool. I have a Slim PS3 so the top casing isn't tinted it's solid plastic.

How does the Dremel behave when attempting curves? I've looked at some of the bits you can get for them but I'm wanting something I can kind of craft and cut with at the same time (For a specific idea I have).

I have other ideas which the Dremel is a no brainer for, such as hole drilling, cutting out straight line shapes etc.

I'm wondering if there's an attachment for one that'll allow me to, in effect carve and cut as I go. Doesn't have to cut to the exact final line, as I would be filing for a smooth finish.

I have the dimensions for the specific location on the top case in which needs cutting to marry up with the addition of an LED fan, and yes masking tape is a must.

If you get a nice one, it cuts like butter. You get what you pay for. I don't feel limited to the type of designs I can do. It usually gets everything done that I need.

You have to be careful because the ps3's plastic melts very easily, even when using a dremel..

The following user thanked Dro for this useful post:

Raiden
01-05-2016, 10:12 PM #5
Raiden
Banned
If you get a nice one, it cuts like butter. You get what you pay for. I don't feel limited to the type of designs I can do. It usually gets everything done that I need.

You have to be careful because the ps3's plastic melts very easily, even when using a dremel..

Yeah that's the only thing that crossed my mind when considering the hot cutting knife.

I guess if you don't buy a shoddy tool, cut out a little inside your etched markings, and obviously take your time with it. Then it should be fine.

I just have a few ideas I want to put into practice before I decide if it's a hobby I'll be sticking with.

Thanks for the tips/pics. Much appreciated.
01-05-2016, 10:31 PM #6
Dro
i<3myPs3

Dimensions for the slim case

And yes, masking tape is a must Happy

hehe, I also have a slim, here is my daily

Just see what you want, get creative to make it happen Smile
01-05-2016, 10:33 PM #7
Raiden
Banned
hehe, I also have a slim, here is my daily

Just see what you want, get creative to make it happen Smile

That's along the lines of some of my ideas. I like that a lot!

BTW where did you get the chrome ring to place inside the cut out?

The following user thanked Raiden for this useful post:

Dro
01-05-2016, 10:34 PM #8
Dro
i<3myPs3
That's along the lines of some of my ideas.

BTW where did you get the chrome ring to place inside the cut out?

To be brutally honest with you, I think it is a shower curtain ring. Idk i found it and though itd look cool and it does lmao
01-05-2016, 10:37 PM #9
Raiden
Banned
To be brutally honest with you, I think it is a shower curtain ring. Idk i found it and though itd look cool and it does lmao

Haha that's my kinda DIY!

Are the PS3 logo LED's hard to do? Does yours sync with the console power?
01-05-2016, 10:43 PM #10
Dro
i<3myPs3
Haha that's my kinda DIY!

Are the PS3 logo LED's hard to do? Does yours sync with the console power?

Cutting the logo can be a pain but not too hard. The leds are pretty easy to install. On the inside of the top cover it is blocked off so you just put 3 leds inside out of logo view but shining towards the center, or 4 leds in each corner. I use a thin piece of plexiglass(can be found in packaging for headphones or something/ like clear plastic paper) on the inside to keep from dust getting in. It is synced with the power.
Last edited by Dro ; 01-05-2016 at 10:47 PM.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo