12-01-2016, 04:19 PM #1
Mtx_FuRy
Bounty hunter
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Hey,

I was part of the modding scene here quite a long time ago, when things were much simpler and the OFW was 3.56. I'm looking to get back into modding but am extremely lost on how to downgrade (if it's even possible!), what CFW and some of these new things are, and any possible guides to downgrade.

My ps3 has the serial ending in CECH-2101A and I remember it being downgradeable from 3.56 with my USB tiny mkII and a few files. I'm mainly interested with creating mod menus and experimenting with some of the older CoD games, so if someone could give me recommendations for what stuff I should install for that, I would appreciate that.*

Anyways, I'm looking for someone to help catch me up with the scene. CFW didn't exist when I was around, so I'm wondering what CFW I should downgrade to, if possible. I'm also looking for guides to downgrading for my ps3 model if possible, how online play works with CFW and mods, and other helpful resources to get me back into the scene as quickly as possible!

Thanks!
~FuRy
12-01-2016, 06:07 PM #2
Dro
i<3myPs3
Originally posted by FuRy View Post
Hey,

I was part of the modding scene here quite a long time ago, when things were much simpler and the OFW was 3.56. I'm looking to get back into modding but am extremely lost on how to downgrade (if it's even possible!), what CFW and some of these new things are, and any possible guides to downgrade.

My ps3 has the serial ending in CECH-2101A and I remember it being downgradeable from 3.56 with my USB tiny mkII and a few files. I'm mainly interested with creating mod menus and experimenting with some of the older CoD games, so if someone could give me recommendations for what stuff I should install for that, I would appreciate that.*

Anyways, I'm looking for someone to help catch me up with the scene. CFW didn't exist when I was around, so I'm wondering what CFW I should downgrade to, if possible. I'm also looking for guides to downgrading for my ps3 model if possible, how online play works with CFW and mods, and other helpful resources to get me back into the scene as quickly as possible!

Thanks!
~FuRy

What firmware is your ps3 sitting on atm?

The following user thanked Dro for this useful post:

Mtx_FuRy
12-01-2016, 06:20 PM #3
Hey,

Thanks!
~FuRy

This may help: You must login or register to view this content.

As for downgrading, Dro can help you with that. He's an intelligent contributor of the PS3 modding community.

My best advice for after you get downgraded and jailbroken, update to something like 4.46 Rebug D-Rex, or 4.50 PS3ITA. Use SENEnabler to sign into PSN, and use PSNPatch to disable syscalls to make it a bit safer to go online. As for mods, it's highly dependent on what games you're wanting to play. I'd suggest BO2, as it has a ton of neat functions, or even GTA V.

The following 2 users say thank you to Frosty for this useful post:

Dro, Mtx_FuRy
12-01-2016, 07:43 PM #4
Mtx_FuRy
Bounty hunter
Originally posted by Dro View Post
What firmware is your ps3 sitting on atm?

I am currently using the most up-to-date firmware, which is 4.81 I believe.

Originally posted by Frosty View Post
This may help: You must login or register to view this content.

As for downgrading, Dro can help you with that. He's an intelligent contributor of the PS3 modding community.

My best advice for after you get downgraded and jailbroken, update to something like 4.46 Rebug D-Rex, or 4.50 PS3ITA. Use SENEnabler to sign into PSN, and use PSNPatch to disable syscalls to make it a bit safer to go online. As for mods, it's highly dependent on what games you're wanting to play. I'd suggest BO2, as it has a ton of neat functions, or even GTA V.

Thank you for the link and all the useful information! I just have a few questions regarding what you said.

Are there any noticeable differences between those two firmwares you suggested? Also, will SENEnabler and PSNPatch allow me to play games online that are unmodded and be safe (just do normal ps3 stuff, basically)?
12-01-2016, 10:24 PM #5
Father Luckeyy
Retired - Lead Content Manager

Thank you for the link and all the useful information! I just have a few questions regarding what you said.

Are there any noticeable differences between those two firmwares you suggested? Also, will SENEnabler and PSNPatch allow me to play games online that are unmodded and be safe (just do normal ps3 stuff, basically)?

You must login or register to view this content.

Things you might need Smile
12-01-2016, 11:55 PM #6

Rebug would allow for switching between CEX and DEX firmwares seamlessly, while PS3ITA is full-on DEX. Usually just user-choice, but they are unaffected by firmware updates, since they're DEX. SENEnabler and PSNPatch will allow you to do normal stuff, yes. They're just added precaution. You don't need SENEnabler if you're on the latest cfw fw, but PSNPatch also allows you to patch games to run on 4.46 firmware.
12-02-2016, 01:49 AM #7
Mtx_FuRy
Bounty hunter
Originally posted by Frosty View Post
Rebug would allow for switching between CEX and DEX firmwares seamlessly, while PS3ITA is full-on DEX. Usually just user-choice, but they are unaffected by firmware updates, since they're DEX. SENEnabler and PSNPatch will allow you to do normal stuff, yes. They're just added precaution. You don't need SENEnabler if you're on the latest cfw fw, but PSNPatch also allows you to patch games to run on 4.46 firmware.

Awesome! I've seen a lot of comments praising rebug while looking through the forums for guides and whatnot, so I think I'll use that. I watched some video tutorials for how to downgrade with an e3 flasher and ended up picking up one unused for $40. It all seems pretty straightforward now but quite a change from the times where you could just downgrade via usb. The only thing I'm still concerned about is getting errors with the e3 flasher and not being able to read the error codes since it is a combination of lit up leds that display the error code. Is there a reference where I can check e3 error codes and find possible solutions for this specific purpose (downgrading a ps3)?
12-02-2016, 06:09 AM #8
Awesome! I've seen a lot of comments praising rebug while looking through the forums for guides and whatnot, so I think I'll use that. I watched some video tutorials for how to downgrade with an e3 flasher and ended up picking up one unused for $40. It all seems pretty straightforward now but quite a change from the times where you could just downgrade via usb. The only thing I'm still concerned about is getting errors with the e3 flasher and not being able to read the error codes since it is a combination of lit up leds that display the error code. Is there a reference where I can check e3 error codes and find possible solutions for this specific purpose (downgrading a ps3)?

Dro might be able to help with that. I bought 3.55 OFW and jailbroke that. But when you get jailbroken and toggle QA, you can downgrade between cfws with USB all you want :P
12-02-2016, 06:54 AM #9
Dro
i<3myPs3

It is mostly about preference and compatibility when it comes to choosing a cfw..
And yea, as Frosty said, once you are jailbroken you can easily downgrade and change firmware with usb, but if you install an official sony firmware higher than 3.55, then you will need to reflash with e3 flasher..

no light = 0
blue light = 1

You can find the list of error codes here
Last edited by Dro ; 12-02-2016 at 07:03 AM.
12-06-2016, 07:43 AM #10
Mtx_FuRy
Bounty hunter
Originally posted by Dro View Post
It is mostly about preference and compatibility when it comes to choosing a cfw..
And yea, as Frosty said, once you are jailbroken you can easily downgrade and change firmware with usb, but if you install an official sony firmware higher than 3.55, then you will need to reflash with e3 flasher..

no light = 0
blue light = 1

You can find the list of error codes here

I've been checking and redoing my setup for the past few hours and keep getting 10001100 error. The last few attempts, I've had the clip attached to the NOR chip and clamped with a hardware clamp with enough force to really scare me. I've tried so many different times to detach and reattach the clip, and clamp it down with even more force than I did the previous time. Every single time, I get the same error when trying to create the backup. Is there any advice for fixing this, or do I just need to learn how to solder and use the E3 linker?

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo