05-22-2017, 04:28 PM #1
Aky84
I am error
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Hi

I tried turning my PS3 on after 3 days and at first it loaded up I was doing story mode in GTA with serendipity menu and the PS3 shutdown. Now it won't turn on!!! When I switch it on it flashes blue then green light woos and turns off then has a flashing red light.

Please can anyone advise what has happened and how to fix this?

Thanks
05-22-2017, 06:19 PM #2
Jarzh
Hurah!
Originally posted by another user
Often times, the PS3 flashing red light problem is caused by poor ventilation within your gaming console due to buildup of dust within the system. This results in the PS3 becoming too hot and overheating. ... Sony has a built in alarm system that notices this and shuts down the console before the GPU is damaged

^^ I got that answer from google source it is true though.
05-22-2017, 09:44 PM #3
Aky84
I am error
Does the hairdryer treatment work? Seen a couple of YouTube videos where people have used a hairdryer to fix the ref light.
05-22-2017, 10:16 PM #4
Dro
i<3myPs3
Originally posted by Aky84 View Post
Does the hairdryer treatment work? Seen a couple of YouTube videos where people have used a hairdryer to fix the ref light.

Can you boot into recovery mode?

If not: personally, I would try another hdd before ruling out that it has overheated.

Don't use the hairdryer..lol

If anything, go spend $30 on a heatgun and purchase some new thermal paste (arctic silver 5, cost about $13) remove the mobo and blast the CPU/GPU and replace paste..
but its really bad to let the console get to the point where it actually shuts off. If it does, you can't expect to fix it 100% without above average repair and even then it is vulnerable to happening again..all you can do is try and hope for the best or just get a new console.

You should try to make a routine of replacing the thermal paste in the console (every few months, every year or so?) to prevent this type of thing from happening.

Good luck!
Last edited by Dro ; 05-22-2017 at 10:23 PM.
05-22-2017, 10:23 PM #5
Aky84
I am error
I can't boot in recovery mode. I bought the PS3 already jailbroken so not sure how to replace the paste.
I usually run fan control on it and never had issues but today I played a game off internal hdd and 5mins in it shut down!

I was advised when I bought it to play with the lid off to keep it cool.
Do you have any links on how to replace the thermal paste?
05-22-2017, 10:45 PM #6
Dro
i<3myPs3
I can't boot in recovery mode. I bought the PS3 already jailbroken so not sure how to replace the paste.
I usually run fan control on it and never had issues but today I played a game off internal hdd and 5mins in it shut down!

I was advised when I bought it to play with the lid off to keep it cool.
Do you have any links on how to replace the thermal paste?

Sal

This one is perfect imo because he used arctic silver 5 and spread it evenly on the chips. You must login or register to view this content. That is the best way to apply the paste, imo. You should blast it hotter though, I do it around 1000*F, about 6 inches away. First, warm up the board and then concentrate around the top surface of both chips for about 5-10 minutes. All the time you should be moving the heatgun around in small circles.

This is considered a temporary fix, do not expect your console to be like new. It could last a day, a week, months, years. You never really know.
Last edited by Dro ; 05-22-2017 at 10:50 PM.
05-27-2017, 10:36 AM #7
Aky84
I am error
Hi

Silly question as I bought the ps3 already jailbroken.

Will I lose the jealbreak if I re apply the thermal paste?

Thanks
05-27-2017, 10:54 AM #8
Right
Can’t trickshot me!
Hi

Silly question as I bought the ps3 already jailbroken.

Will I lose the jealbreak if I re apply the thermal paste?

Thanks

No, the thermal paste just prevents overheating
05-27-2017, 02:54 PM #9
Aky84
I am error
Thanks

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo