04-25-2015, 12:44 AM #1
SlimShadyXV-
League Champion
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Hey NGU, my ps3 broke 2 years ago and i sent it to a place to fix it around 2 weeks ago. My dad called to see whats taking so long and they said they cant figure out whats wrong to fix it. So my dad is picking up my ps3 tomorrow, or monday and ima probably trade it at gamestop. I wanna use the same harddrive since it is 600gb. I heard that if you get a new system you have to "reformat" it if you wanna use the same old harddrive? I dont know how to do this and dont know what it means haha, since i know literally the bare minimum of hardware and stuff for electronics. If i could do it myself instead of sending it to someone else, that will be a big money saver. Thanks Smile
Last edited by SlimShadyXV- ; 04-27-2015 at 09:34 PM.
04-25-2015, 01:27 AM #2
Geo
Don't Believe The Title
Originally posted by Whiiteboys7thst View Post
Hey NGU, my ps3 broke 2 years ago and i sent it to a place to fix it around 2 weeks ago. My dad called to see whats taking so long and they said they cant figure out whats wrong to fix it. So my dad is picking up my ps3 tomorrow, or monday and ima probably trade it at gamestop. I wanna use the same harddrive since it is 600gb. I heard that if you get a new system you have to "reformat" it if you wanna use the same old harddrive? I dont know how to do this and dont know what it means haha, since i know literally the bare minimum of hardware and stuff for electronics. If i could do it myself instead of sending it to someone else, that will be a big money saver. Thanks Smile

When getting the new PS3, simply remove the old one and slap the new one in (plenty of tuts for this). When booting the PS3 it will say something along the lines of it has detected a new HDD but it needs to be formatted, click yes (Bare in mind, this will wipe the HDD completely so any save data on the HDD should be backed up if possible). It will all do the work for you and your PS3 should boot normally into whatever setup it needs to after its done.

Also, not a very good repair company!

The following user thanked Geo for this useful post:

SlimShadyXV-
04-25-2015, 02:04 AM #3
SlimShadyXV-
League Champion
Originally posted by Geometry View Post
When getting the new PS3, simply remove the old one and slap the new one in (plenty of tuts for this). When booting the PS3 it will say something along the lines of it has detected a new HDD but it needs to be formatted, click yes (Bare in mind, this will wipe the HDD completely so any save data on the HDD should be backed up if possible). It will all do the work for you and your PS3 should boot normally into whatever setup it needs to after its done.

Also, not a very good repair company!

Oh my ps3 has been broken for 2 years and i never got to back up my hard drive. So might as well just keep the 600gb and put on my old accounts? My ps3 broke by it just shutting off completely and turn on for a second and turn off again. I gave up and the ps3 has been sitting on my shelf for 2 years so anything could have happened. It sounded like a power issue so i bought a new power supply and so did the company and still nothing and also the company bought another part and still nothing. So when i insert the hdd i just do the reformat and put on my other accounts? Thanks for the help man
04-25-2015, 07:55 AM #4
seanhellen
Are you high?
Is it a fat ps3 and did it beep 3 times when you turn it on? if yes, its probably YLOD...after many fixing attempts, I gave up too Happy

The following user thanked seanhellen for this useful post:

SlimShadyXV-
04-25-2015, 09:30 AM #5
Geo
Don't Believe The Title
Originally posted by Whiiteboys7thst View Post
Oh my ps3 has been broken for 2 years and i never got to back up my hard drive. So might as well just keep the 600gb and put on my old accounts? My ps3 broke by it just shutting off completely and turn on for a second and turn off again. I gave up and the ps3 has been sitting on my shelf for 2 years so anything could have happened. It sounded like a power issue so i bought a new power supply and so did the company and still nothing and also the company bought another part and still nothing. So when i insert the hdd i just do the reformat and put on my other accounts? Thanks for the help man

Yes that sounds like a plan ^^

The following user thanked Geo for this useful post:

SlimShadyXV-
04-25-2015, 11:40 AM #6
clayton2781
Bounty hunter
Yea it sounds like a ylod to me. You can fix it yourself for less than 20 us dollars if you are feeling adventurous. There are many tutorials on ngu, and many people here who could help walk you through it. The hardest part is taking the system apart. After that its simple. Good luck.

The following user thanked clayton2781 for this useful post:

SlimShadyXV-
04-25-2015, 11:41 AM #7
clayton2781
Bounty hunter
Originally posted by seanhellen View Post
Is it a fat ps3 and did it beep 3 times when you turn it on? if yes, its probably YLOD...after many fixing attempts, I gave up too Happy

Did you use electronic flux in your attempts and new thermal paste. I've had 100%. Success when doing this way.

The following user thanked clayton2781 for this useful post:

SlimShadyXV-
04-25-2015, 11:52 AM #8
SlimShadyXV-
League Champion
Originally posted by clayton2781 View Post
Yea it sounds like a ylod to me. You can fix it yourself for less than 20 us dollars if you are feeling adventurous. There are many tutorials on ngu, and many people here who could help walk you through it. The hardest part is taking the system apart. After that its simple. Good luck.

There was no yellow light at all
04-25-2015, 12:01 PM #9
SlimShadyXV-
League Champion
Originally posted by seanhellen View Post

Nah it was a ps3 slim from 2009 i think and no it didnt beep 3 times. It would be off, and it would beep once when i turn it on and then it would just turn back off. Nothing else
04-25-2015, 12:03 PM #10
seanhellen
Are you high?
Ah. Fair enough...thats my theory out the window lol Smile sorry

Originally posted by clayton2781 View Post
Did you use electronic flux in your attempts and new thermal paste. I've had 100%. Success when doing this way.

Yeah. Used flux, heat gun and new thermal paste. Started out once a month then ended up being twice a week so gave up lol. Although it is possible i lost a small pad or 2 from the smaller chips so that prob didnt help Smile
Last edited by seanhellen ; 04-25-2015 at 12:15 PM.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo