06-17-2017, 12:57 PM #1
Aky84
I am error
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Hi

I have had the flashing red light. Was told to re apply the thermal paste which I have done. It still didn't work can anyone help?? I heated the board for 30 secs before applying the paste do I need to heat it longer??
06-17-2017, 04:41 PM #2
What did you heat it with
06-17-2017, 07:31 PM #3
Dro
i<3myPs3
Originally posted by Aky84 View Post
Hi

I have had the flashing red light. Was told to re apply the thermal paste which I have done. It still didn't work can anyone help?? I heated the board for 30 secs before applying the paste do I need to heat it longer??

Heating the board for 30 seconds is like prep..
You need to take a heatgun, turn it above 600* (i use 1000*F) , and blast the CPU and GPU from about 4-6 inches away (or, if you noticed, whichever had a higher temp is most likely the culprit, and you should focus on heating that chip and not so much the other..). Move the heatgun around in small circular motions, the entire time, to prevent burning anything. Do this for about 5-10 minutes.
Then let it sit for 15 minutes to cool, then evenly spread a single layer of paste across both chips. Be VERY gentle flipping and handling the board. Crackling is ok to hear, but not if it's being caused by you.

This is considered a temporary fix. It can last an hour, days, weeks, months, years, you never really know, because it all depends on the history of the console and the procedure of the fix. If you do it right the first time, you will usually see the best results in my experience.

Good luck
Last edited by Dro ; 06-17-2017 at 07:42 PM.
06-17-2017, 08:20 PM #4
Aky84
I am error
Originally posted by sethdm02 View Post
What did you heat it with

With a heat gun
06-17-2017, 08:21 PM #5
Aky84
I am error
Thanks man I will take it apart again and have another go hopefully it will work this time.
06-18-2017, 01:52 PM #6
Aky84
I am error
I got the PS3 working now can't connect the controller !! It won't recognise it any help
06-18-2017, 02:31 PM #7
Kronos
Former Staff
Originally posted by Dro View Post
Heating the board for 30 seconds is like prep..
You need to take a heatgun, turn it above 600* (i use 1000*F) , and blast the CPU and GPU from about 4-6 inches away (or, if you noticed, whichever had a higher temp is most likely the culprit, and you should focus on heating that chip and not so much the other..). Move the heatgun around in small circular motions, the entire time, to prevent burning anything. Do this for about 5-10 minutes.
Then let it sit for 15 minutes to cool, then evenly spread a single layer of paste across both chips. Be VERY gentle flipping and handling the board. Crackling is ok to hear, but not if it's being caused by you.

This is considered a temporary fix. It can last an hour, days, weeks, months, years, you never really know, because it all depends on the history of the console and the procedure of the fix. If you do it right the first time, you will usually see the best results in my experience.

Good luck

I got the PS3 working now can't connect the controller !! It won't recognise it any help

Quoting for notification, Dro might now dis
06-18-2017, 08:08 PM #8
Dro
i<3myPs3

Just check over and make sure you didn't miss any cables and that they are all plugged in properly..
If your ps3 is a fat, make sure to plug this You must login or register to view this content. in. Also notice the ribbon that gets plugged in underneath.
Last edited by Dro ; 06-18-2017 at 11:43 PM.
06-18-2017, 09:24 PM #9
Aky84
I am error
Dro
The picture doesn't load so I can't see what cable you are referring to. I have checked and all cables are plugged in
06-18-2017, 09:33 PM #10
Dro
i<3myPs3
Dro
The picture doesn't load so I can't see what cable you are referring to. I have checked and all cables are plugged in

It's the whole wifi board, above the usbs. This board controls wifi and bluetooth. There is a silver ribbon to power the wifi board, then an antennae that gets screwed to the back of the ps3's motherboard ,onto the metal.

Do you have any errors pop up when you start the console?

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo