08-31-2017, 04:23 PM #1
Aky84
I am error
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); I recently had the flashing red light on my phat ps3. I fixed it and it did the same thing again 3 weeks later. I repaired it again and it did the same thing. This is the third time and now after re applying the thermal paste it doesn't work it remains with the flashing red light.

Can anyone help?
09-01-2017, 12:41 AM #2
Dro
i<3myPs3
Originally posted by Aky84 View Post
I recently had the flashing red light on my phat ps3. I fixed it and it did the same thing again 3 weeks later. I repaired it again and it did the same thing. This is the third time and now after re applying the thermal paste it doesn't work it remains with the flashing red light.

Can anyone help?

Any fix is temporary if has gotten to the point of shutting off already..
09-01-2017, 12:44 AM #3
Aky84
I am error
Can it not be repaired again? Does putting too much thermal late have an impact on the flashing red light?
09-02-2017, 12:39 AM #4
Dro
i<3myPs3
Originally posted by Aky84 View Post
Can it not be repaired again? Does putting too much thermal late have an impact on the flashing red light?

You shouldn't put too little or it will overheat (if it runs), but you don't need to put a lot..The ideal application (imo) is just a thin layer that is evenly spread across the top of the chip.

If a ps3 reaches a point to where it shuts off on its own, then it has suffered damages from overheating and may no longer run (properly) afterwards.

Reflowing (im assuming that's what you did to try to fix) is a temporary fix. It can last an hour, a day , weeks, months, years, you never really know.. If you keep doing this, it may break down the solder and cause a ball(s) underneath the chips to melt into one another,which will cause a permanent brick. It will absolutely require a reball at that point.
Reballing would be the best thing you could do, but good luck with all that...Reballing is the process of removing the chips to replace all the solder balls under the chip(s), in order to renew the solder and regain proper connection to the motherboard.
(imo) The easiest solution would be to just get another ps3.

All ps3s will overheat eventually, by their design, but the best thing you can do is to create a routine to renew your thermal paste every few months or once a year or so, to avoid problems such as this one.

Better luck next time.
Last edited by Dro ; 09-02-2017 at 12:50 AM.
09-02-2017, 01:21 AM #5
Aky84
I am error
Thanks Dro I will give it one last attempt at a repair fingers crossed it should work
11-11-2017, 08:53 PM #6
tjcbar
Bounty hunter
if your ps3 isnt jailbroken then chances are it will die regardless, reason being: the stock fan settings setup by sony are BS, its set to start cooling down the system when it hits 78 degrees Celsius, which is too late, my ps3 fan is at 50% default and set to cool down the system after reaching 67 degrees Celsius (thats if it ever gets there)

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo