Login | Register

Thread: Dead Island Save Editor for Dead Island Riptide on PS3

1. vapid Save Point

Join Date May 2013

Posts 6

Membership Standard

05-22-2013 09:15 PM #1 Dead Island Save Editor for Dead Island Riptide on PS3

I'm sure you may be aware that the Dead Island Save Editor (DISE) does work on Dead Island RIPTIDE PS3 saves. Of course, you have to decrypt and extract the COJ2-DAT file from the PS3 save yourself before using the editor. Even after using the editor you have to pad the repacked COJ2-DAT file to make it 8,192 bytes in size and then update the COJ2-DSC file with the new offset of the modified COJ2-DAT. I understand all of this and how to accomplish it. The problem is that the modified saves don't show up in-game. I've seen other people publish modded saves here and I have been able to load them without issue on my OFW PS3.
    I suppose my question is this, how to properly repack the modified saves so that Dead Island Riptide will recognize them?
    I know that if I simply decrypt and re-encrypt my save it will still load in-game. However, if I unpack the COJ2-DAT and then re-pack it, even without modifying the save in any way, the save will not load in-game. So I'm assuming it's my repack that's causing the issue? I know that the save is in gzip format when compressed and I am using acutal linux gzip when i repack it. Really could use some advice here as I can't figure it out I know it can be done from the great modded saves I've seen on this site.

Isaac Clarke Who’s Jim Erased?

Join Date Feb 2011

Posts 743

Membership Standard

05-23-2013 03:16 AM #2

I hope he updates the editor. So we won't have to do so many things. Just to mod the save. Cuz, I wouldn't know how to do all that.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    PS+ Member Since 12/6/2010 360/Xbox One: CMaggotbone

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

X-GHOST-X BRUTEFORCE SUPPORT

Join Date Apr 2012

Posts 1,669

Membership Elite

NextGenUpdate Elite Member

05-23-2013 07:21 AM #3

Quote Originally Posted by vapid View Post
    I'm sure you may be aware that the Dead Island Save Editor (DISE) does work on Dead Island RIPTIDE PS3 saves. Of course, you have to decrypt and extract the COJ2-DAT file from the PS3 save yourself before using the editor. Even after using the editor you have to pad the repacked COJ2-DAT file to make it 8,192 bytes in size and then update the COJ2-DSC file with the new offset of the modified COJ2-DAT. I understand all of this and how to accomplish it. The problem is that the modified saves don't show up in-game. I've seen other people publish modded saves here and I have been able to load them without issue on my OFW PS3.
    I suppose my question is this, how to properly repack the modified saves so that Dead Island Riptide will recognize them?
    I know that if I simply decrypt and re-encrypt my save it will still load in-game. However, if I unpack the COJ2-DAT and then re-pack it, even without modifying the save in any way, the save will not load in-game. So I'm assuming it's my repack that's causing the issue? I know that the save is in gzip format when compressed and I am using acutal linux gzip when i repack it. Really could use some advice here as I can't figure it out I know it can be done from the great modded saves I've seen on this site.
    use offzip and packzip for recommpress the COJ2-DAT
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ][Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

4. vapid Save Point

Join Date May 2013

Posts 6

Membership Standard

05-23-2013 12:18 PM #4

Thanks for your response X-GHOST-X. I'm at work for the time being, but I will definitely give this a shot when I'm home later. Again, appreciate the response

Join Date Apr 2012

Posts 1,669

Membership Elite

05-23-2013 12:23 PM #5

Thanks for your response X-GHOST-X. I'm at work for the time being, but I will definitely give this a shot when I'm home later. Again, appreciate the response
    not sure how bruteforce it now right re commpress will ask aldo give you report
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ][Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

6. vapid Save Point

Join Date May 2013

Posts 6

Membership Standard

05-23-2013 07:25 PM #6

Awesome! I really appreciate your help and efforts!
    I think the current build of Bruteforce will only extract gzip files, but not re-compress. It doesn't ask to recompress like it does with other save games. It does successfully decrypt/encrypt Dead Island Riptide save though. There had been a problem decrypting Riptide saves in an earlier version but looks like he got it straightened out.
    Took a stab at it with offzip/packzip earlier and thought for sure that was the solution. The packzip packed COJ2-DAT looks byte-for-byte identical to the original but still fails to load D= The tools worked great though so thanks for the suggestion, I'll keep playing with the settings to see if I can't pin it down.
    You've given me hope that we can figure it out though! Thanks for the time

Join Date Apr 2012

Posts 1,669

Membership Elite

05-23-2013 07:39 PM #7

Awesome! I really appreciate your help and efforts!
    I think the current build of Bruteforce will only extract gzip files, but not re-compress. It doesn't ask to recompress like it does with other save games. It does successfully decrypt/encrypt Dead Island Riptide save though. There had been a problem decrypting Riptide saves in an earlier version but looks like he got it straightened out.
    Took a stab at it with offzip/packzip earlier and thought for sure that was the solution. The packzip packed COJ2-DAT looks byte-for-byte identical to the original but still fails to load D= The tools worked great though so thanks for the suggestion, I'll keep playing with the settings to see if I can't pin it down.
    You've given me hope that we can figure it out though! Thanks for the time
    i think its now updated so the the data must be fine
    PackZip 0.3
    by Luigi Auriemma
    e-mail: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    web: aluigi.org

- open input file: 0000000a.dc5
    - open output file: ..\COJ2-DAT
    - offset 0x0000000a
    - windowbits 15
    - seek offset
    - input size 0x000037b7 / 14263
    - compression ZLIB
    - output size 0x0000145b / 5211
    try bruteforce again when you have time

8. vapid Save Point

Join Date May 2013

Posts 6

Membership Standard

05-23-2013 08:56 PM #8

Yeah! The new Bruteforce 3.8.14 does extract and re-compress the COJ2-DAT perfectly! The COJ2-DAT it creates looks identical to the original. Unforunately, it still doesn't load, even without modifying it.
    The process I'm using is this:
    1. Load my save in Bruteforce and decrypt
    2. Decompress the COJ2-DAT within Bruteforce
    3. Re-compress the COJ2-DAT with built-in compression through Bruteforce
    4. Encrypt the save again with Bruteforce
    5. Copy back to PS3 and test in-game (no luck here so far)

Also, my friend was able to modify his Riptide save using the Game Genie software. He sent me that save, I resigned it, and it did load on my OFW PS3. So somewhere in the compression I'm still going wrong here. I'm trying to compare the Game Genie created save to my Bruteforce save to see if there's any difference. I sincerely appreciate all your help X-GHOST-X, and thanks again. Your suggestions have gotten me much further in the process
    Not sure if it helps, but I uploaded an original, untouched Dead Island Riptide US save to mediafire [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] for anyone to test on. I can upload the Game Genie created Riptide save as well if anyone thinks that would help too.

---------- Post added at 05:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

This is my output from packzip, seems the same as yours except I set windowbits to -15 because offzip needed the -z -15 flags to get it extracted (on my save anyway)

PackZip 0.3
    by Luigi Auriemma

- open output file: COJ2-DAT
    - offset 0x0000000a
    - windowbits -15
    - seek offset
    - input size 0x0000144a / 5194
    - compression DEFLATE
    - output size 0x00000646 / 1606

---------- Post added at 05:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:51 PM ----------

Without using -z -15 with offzip I get this:

Offset file unzipper 0.3.5
    by Luigi Auriemma

- open input file: COJ2-DAT
    - enter in directory: MBLUS31052-SG-SAVE_1
    - zip data to check: 32 bytes
    - zip windowBits: 15
    - seek offset: 0x00000000 (0)

+------------+-------------+-------------------------+
    | hex_offset | blocks_dots | zip_size --> unzip_size |
    0x00001800

- no valid full zip data found

So, I figured I would need to use -w -15 with packzip when I re-compress, am I wrong here?

Join Date Apr 2012

Posts 1,669

Membership Elite

05-24-2013 06:47 AM #9

Yeah! The new Bruteforce 3.8.14 does extract and re-compress the COJ2-DAT perfectly! The COJ2-DAT it creates looks identical to the original. Unforunately, it still doesn't load, even without modifying it.
    The process I'm using is this:
    1. Load my save in Bruteforce and decrypt
    2. Decompress the COJ2-DAT within Bruteforce
    3. Re-compress the COJ2-DAT with built-in compression through Bruteforce
    4. Encrypt the save again with Bruteforce
    5. Copy back to PS3 and test in-game (no luck here so far)

Also, my friend was able to modify his Riptide save using the Game Genie software. He sent me that save, I resigned it, and it did load on my OFW PS3. So somewhere in the compression I'm still going wrong here. I'm trying to compare the Game Genie created save to my Bruteforce save to see if there's any difference. I sincerely appreciate all your help X-GHOST-X, and thanks again. Your suggestions have gotten me much further in the process
    Not sure if it helps, but I uploaded an original, untouched Dead Island Riptide US save to mediafire [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] for anyone to test on. I can upload the Game Genie created Riptide save as well if anyone thinks that would help too.

---------- Post added at 05:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

This is my output from packzip, seems the same as yours except I set windowbits to -15 because offzip needed the -z -15 flags to get it extracted (on my save anyway)

PackZip 0.3
    by Luigi Auriemma

- open output file: COJ2-DAT
    - offset 0x0000000a
    - windowbits -15
    - seek offset
    - input size 0x0000144a / 5194
    - compression DEFLATE
    - output size 0x00000646 / 1606

---------- Post added at 05:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:51 PM ----------

Without using -z -15 with offzip I get this:

Offset file unzipper 0.3.5
    by Luigi Auriemma

- open input file: COJ2-DAT
    - enter in directory: MBLUS31052-SG-SAVE_1
    - zip data to check: 32 bytes
    - zip windowBits: 15
    - seek offset: 0x00000000 (0)

| hex_offset | blocks_dots | zip_size --> unzip_size |
    0x00001800

- no valid full zip data found

So, I figured I would need to use -w -15 with packzip when I re-compress, am I wrong here?
    be sure you have the latest version i and aldo figured yesterday tonight out some erros with offzip in bruteforce in the new version you have a offzip param there you can add other options for offzip in it because i hade a problem with the new metro save this can only fully decrypted with -a -z- 15 so we added this option in bruteforce when you interessting in hacking save games tell and i will you invite to a site only for this

---------- Post added at 01:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Clarke View Post
    I hope he updates the editor. So we won't have to do so many things. Just to mod the save. Cuz, I wouldn't know how to do all that.
    btw you can try to make your own ultimative save for re6 all codes are in the database of bruteforce + checksum fix

10. vapid Save Point

Join Date May 2013

Posts 6

Membership Standard

05-24-2013 04:47 PM #10

Ok, an update. The repacked saves made with packzip using Bruteforce don't work. The original COJ2-DAT can be opened with 7zip or gzip and the COJ2-DAT~ can be extracted. Trying to open or extract the re-packed COJ2-DAT from Bruteforce will produce an error, and the COJ2-DAT~ cannot be extracted. 7zip produces this error "Data error in 'COJ2-DAT~'. File is broken."
    I think we can be sure that there is still a problem re-packing these saves, even using packzip