04-06-2012, 10:31 PM #1
Toptuning
Dexter FTW !!!
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Is this PS4’s secret weapon?

After the success of Kinect and its inevitable use of an upgraded version for the Xbox 720, what will Sony bring to the party? We think we know the answer.

Over 4 years ago a video appeared of a guy called Thomas Miller using nothing more than the PS Eye and a custom built pair of glasses with 2 LEDs to create an illusion that your screen was 3D. Before you start shouting that ‘we have 3D already, this is different. The glasses have LEDs on them so the PS Eye can track the position and distance your face (with LED glasses on) away from the screen. With a clever bit of coding, Thomas Miller devised a programme that, using the tracking, could alter the angle of the graphics on screen along with your movement so that it gives a great sense of 3D. (See video below).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxT_f_F32EU

Not long after Thomas Miller released that video, a similar version (this time using head tracking instead of LED glasses) was found to be up and running at a public event. (See videos below).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80VWGjWYWd4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYNTIyYIJBQ

What’s even more interesting is that recently You must login or register to view this content.. Going past the obvious parallels to Kinect, this depth sensing camera can now allow the position of your head to be tracked accurately without the need of glasses with LEDs on them. This also removes the need of the fickle head tracking system that requires perfect lighting condition for it to work. It gives us a robust version of Thomas Miller’s tech that will work in the toughest of lighting conditions.

This tech being used with the PS4 seems like a no brainer to combat the Kinect. Sony make this happen.

Originally posted by Toptuning
COPY & PASTE from: You must login or register to view this content.

I've nothing to say... This would be cool, but not for me, because my Gaming-Room isn't so big :( What you think about it?

The following user thanked Toptuning for this useful post:

BurnoutBoz
04-06-2012, 10:38 PM #2
Phuturistix
Level 2 Trustworthy
I like gaming with a good HDTV and my PS3 controller. I dont need anything else to change that. I prefer this way of gaming and always will. I'm not a big fan of 3D. I just rather in future that all games will be playable with minimal problems as possible Smile

This isn't for me either.

The following 5 users say thank you to Phuturistix for this useful post:

Alt, gusbus20, Kush Friendly, Mr Grumpy, xSOADx
04-07-2012, 12:51 AM #3
honestly i couldn't afford a 3d tv at this time or care to buy one
04-07-2012, 05:12 AM #4
Chaz
Tremble Underfoot
Yeah this news was speculated a little while back. Sony was inevitably going to jump into
the motion-sensing area sooner or later. It looks promising, but no one will know until some
actual demos come out showcasing it's functionality.
04-07-2012, 11:27 PM #5
Convex
Ain't No Telling
Wow, I'm not going to buy a 3D TV just for that shit :lol:
04-08-2012, 01:28 AM #6
I hope not, I'd rather just have good 2D games than mediocre 3D ones *cough*NDS and 3DS
04-08-2012, 09:02 AM #7
xLew--
Former Staff
give it a year or two and most of the flaws will be ironed out in 3d and decent tv sets will be available and cheaper.

look at plasma when it firs came out to what theyre like now

The following user thanked xLew-- for this useful post:

Phuturistix
04-08-2012, 01:46 PM #8
TechMemphis
< ^ > < ^ >
I look forward to this. I don't get all the hate towards 3D. I have a 3D tv and killzone 3 and Uncharted 3 couldn't look better. Also you can get a 3Da Tv now fairly cheap if you know where to look. I saw a pn51D6500 (sanding model 51") for 349.98 at target on clearance. And a 46" vizio 3D tv at samsclub with 3d bluray player plus glasses for 498.99...
Last edited by TechMemphis ; 04-08-2012 at 01:52 PM.
04-11-2012, 11:19 AM #9
Phuturistix
Level 2 Trustworthy
Originally posted by xLew
give it a year or two and most of the flaws will be ironed out in 3d and decent tv sets will be available and cheaper.

look at plasma when it firs came out to what theyre like now

Yeah exactly, this will always be the case also as new tech always comes out. I mean everything is expensive when it's first released. I remember my HD TV was £850 when released and now you can pick it up for £300.
04-11-2012, 07:27 PM #10
nhoi13
Do a barrel roll!
Not for me, I'd prefer to just stick with my old fashioned controller

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo