08-02-2017, 02:41 PM #1
OfficialJesseP
How's it going, eh?
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});
You must login or register to view this content.

The biggest news from 10 years ago this month happened right up front with the delay of Grand Theft Auto IV from its October release window and would now arrive sometime in the February-to-April stretch of 2008. That was huge at the time, but delays happen, and here is the possible reason for the delay.

The day after GTA IV's delay was announced, long-time industry analyst Michael Pachter put the blame on the PlayStation 3, saying, "We think it is likely that the Rockstar team had difficulty in building an exceptionally complicated game for the PS3, and failed to recognize how far away from completion the game truly was until recently." Combined with a contractual obligation to not launch the game early on one platform or the other, that meant pushing back all versions until the next year.

That said, this was far from the only suggestion that developers were having difficulty with the PS3. Sony had already been chastising third-parties for not taking full advantage of the hardware, and it didn't help having massive publishing partners like EA publicly explaining why the PS3 version of Madden NFL was noticeably inferior. It's particularly damning considering the company didn't even attempt to refute the game's inferiority in any way.

"In the case of the next-generation consoles, many publishers have been developing titles for the Xbox 360 for over three and a half years while everyone who publishes now for the PS3 with the exception of Sony has been developing for the PS3 for only a little over one full year," the company said.

At least Ubisoft was a little more diplomatic, with Yann Le Tensorer, co-founder of Ghost Recon Advanced Warfare studio Tiwak calling the idea nonsense, and then basically repeating what EA had said.

"It's not harder to develop on the PS3 than it is on the 360; it's just a different console. Developers might say it's harder because it just takes time to understand the technology. We're still early in the lifecycle."

By the time October rolled around and Midway delayed PS3 releases for BlackSite: Area 51, Stranglehold, and Unreal Tournament 3, the PS3's reputation was essentially set in stone. And while Sony was able to overcome the PS3's rough start and turn it into a very successful system over the long haul, the "hard to develop for" tag persisted for years.

Source: You must login or register to view this content.

The following user thanked OfficialJesseP for this useful post:

Darth Saul
08-02-2017, 09:51 PM #2
bmob10189
At least I can fight
XBOX is Microsoft making it easier for developers to assign keys. PS3 isn't like any computer like PS4 runs on Linux. It has its own executable software built from the ground up making it a bit more difficult for developers to get the hang of at 1st to make the game execute properly. I believe the set back was more do to the news of PS4s release but don't remember, been a while
08-04-2017, 04:17 AM #3
Originally posted by Outsider
Man the early days of the PS3 were a nightmare. I bought my first one in late 2006 and it was sooooo dead because of the lack of games. People thought PS4 was bad? Resistance Fall of Man was the only viable game I had to play until COD4 inevitably came around and kept me immersed for awhile. I obviously can't speak on the development lol, but this is certainly something I would have expected, never heard it first hand though from a source Happy

Agreed man, I used to play on my PS2 due to lack of decent games
08-04-2017, 11:11 PM #4
Levisaurus
Do a barrel roll!
Originally posted by LAGalaxy23b View Post
Agreed man, I used to play on my PS2 due to lack of decent games

Same lol, i loved my ps2
08-05-2017, 04:28 AM #5
Originally posted by Levisaurus View Post
Same lol, i loved my ps2

Also my PS2 and N64 were the only systems not to break on me ever, Ive gone through 5 ps3s since 2008
09-03-2017, 01:56 PM #6
Wow great information man Happy

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo