04-30-2015, 03:57 PM #1
TotalModzHD
Bounty hunter
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); OK I know what you're thinking "OH THIS IS BULLSHIT TOTAL OMGERD" and yes you are probably right, but just read before posting anything please Smile
Also I take no credit for this, all credits go to Arthanis at wololo.net
Peace out guys Happy

As a brazilian myself and as a guest blogger here, I feel I have the responsibility to share what I know, think and feel. First of all, a full translation (with some grammatical, semantical, punctuation and verbal corrections) of what this company is claiming:
You must login or register to view this content.
“Good afternoon friends, customers and partners. Here we are to humbly ask everybody to please stop asking about our training on our PS4 games installation system, since we are the pioneers here in Brazil to develop and deploy this solution in a 100% working state, without any help from here inside Brazil nor worldwide. We are proud about the huge demand and about how many people have been trying to reach us about our solution. Thanks for all the trust placed on our work.

Sadly we will only share our knowledge with 12 trusted business partners and retailers spread over the country.
About our fees to insert the game on your console, we will be posting the prices next week so everybody can check them out. About our solution, we are only waiting for 3 more retailers to confirm, so we can launch our product. We sincerely apologize to anyone who has been left out, but it’s the only way we can preserve our hard work, since everything that gets too much attention sometimes are bad in the long term for the community.

That being said, thanks for all the love and recognition for this awesome work, that was made for you friends, players, customers and videogame-addicted fellows, kkkk (a brbrhuehue informal laugh).”

Please keep in mind that I tried my best to correct everything that I could from the original, that was kinda messy.

Right from the start, let me say that a REALLY don’t believe in the legitimacy of their claims (at least not that they are the authors), but probably not for the same reasons as most. There are a couple of reasons why I think that this is just a publicity stunt.

First of all, as I already mentioned, the text is written in a very poor portuguese (my fellow brazilian readers will mostly agree). People here in Brazil who would have the knowledge and resources to back such claims up, wouldn’t write this way. It was clearly written by a semi-illiterate amateur. Some parts barely make sense, like how can they be “proud about the demand”? Really? People here with the resources and knowledge to do what they claim would have written and elaborated much better. Also, any serious company would not only post a demonstration video, but would also have used a proper website, not a Facebook page.

It’s worth mentioning that people with the skill needed to do such things are very well paid around here doing corporate jobs and it’s unlikely that such people would want to have their name associated with piracy (not hacking) in that form.

Another point is that this “business model” is unheard of: to outsource piracy to retailers and openly advertise it. Although piracy is still rampant around here, it’s kind of a gray market . Even people who sell piracy won’t openly advertise that as piracy, they sell it as “brindes” (loosely translated as bonuses). Here in their annoucement they are claiming to do way more than enabling people to pirate themselves, they are charging people to pirate for them, which is a direct violation of pretty much any EULA, unlike modchips and softmods. Sony is officially here in Brazil, so I doubt that they could sell their “product” without a lawsuit or two on their backs. It’s very funny how trying to stop people to pirate their piracy is exactly what would put them in legal trouble.

Now a little more personal note. As I read in a previous article, many people on comments discredited the said “solution” simply because they showed a (stock) raspiberry image and because “Brazil wouldn’t have the resources to make such a thing”.

Although they used a stock image from google (a fact which I bet few people who criticized knew), the raspberry picture alone doesn’t necessarily mean its a hoax, and here is why: Just now, we got an exploit triggered by a multiplayer game, where a PSVITA connect to a previously hacked device. Although it seriously doubt it will ever be done (and that it’s worth the trouble, since there will probably be an update to block such exploit), the hacked “server” device could be replaced by any device running a software that use emulate the packets sent by the server (considering they are not encrypted) by sniffing the packets and reverse-engineering the packets sent back.

Obviously it would easier (and cheaper) to make such daemon to run on a windows/linux/mac, so everybody could download and use it. But remember that we are talking by a company who is trying to make money, so it would make perfect sense for them to use a raspberry (or even an arduino, if possible) to make an appliance just to run the exploit. It wouldn’t be the first known hardware to exist only to enforce some kind of DRM (as many ps3 dongles). So, the same principle could be applied to the PS4, where it connects to a server through some service already available on the console (like Netflix, a cheap game or whatever) and trigger an exploit. Hacking is about thinking out of the box, so people shouldn’t be so avid to dismiss something just because it’s different.

The said jailbreak seems to be a private hack from a user named SONIC_FPS from this forum that has been going on for a while. This user seems to speak Portuguese from Portugal (not from Brazil). I will translate the relevant parts of the thread:

SONIC_FPS (12 jan 2015):

“Dear friends, before anything else I want to say that I will not answer PMs asking how to do it and etc. This method I’m using is mine and completely private. But I am looking for some other way to share this method, which doesn’t mean I will post it on the internet or something like that. I will just share this method with two of my friends here that respected me and have always believed on my work.

Here is the list of available games for now:

1001 Spikes
Air Conflicts: Vietnam Ultimate Edition
Akiba’s Trip: Undead & Undressed
Alien: Isolation
Angry Birds Star Wars
Anomaly 2
Another World: 20th Anniversary Edition
Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag
Awesomenauts Assemble!
Basement Crawl
Battlefield 4
Blacklight: Retribution
Blue Estate
Bound by Flame
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
Call of Duty: Ghosts
CastleStorm: Definitive Edition
Cel Damage HD
Chariot
Child of Light
Contrast
Costume Quest 2
CounterSpy
Crimsonland
Daylight
DC Universe Online
Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition
Destiny
DG2: Defense Grid 2
Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition
Disney Infinity 2.0 Edition
Doki-Doki Universe
Don’t Starve: Console Edition
Dragon Age: Inquisition
Driveclub
Dust: An Elysian Tail
Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends Complete Edition
EA Sports UFC
Entwined
Escape Plan
Far Cry 4
Fez
FIFA 14
FIFA 15
Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn
Flockers
flOw
flower
Fluster Cluck
Futuridium EP Deluxe
Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams – Director’s Cut
Grand Theft Auto V
Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN-
Hohokum
How to Survive: Storm Warning Edition
In Space We Brawl
inFamous: First Light
inFamous: Second Son
Injustice: Gods Among Us – Ultimate Edition
Just Dance 2014
Just Dance 2015
KickBeat: Special Edition
Killzone: Shadow Fall
King Oddball
Knack
Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris
LittleBigPlanet 3
Loadout
Lords of the Fallen
Madden NFL 15
Madden NFL 25
Mercenary Kings
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
Metro
Minecraft
Minutes
MLB 14: The Show
MotoGP 14
MouseCraft
NBA 2K14
NBA 2K15
Need for Speed: Rivals
Never Alone
NHL 15
Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee – New ‘n’ Tasty
Outlast
Peggle 2
Pix the Cat
PixelJunk Shooter Ultimate
Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare
Pro Evolution Soccer 2015
Rayman Legends
Resogun
Sniper Elite III
Sound Shapes
This Saturday I will share the method with the aforementioned users and will sell to only one brazilian user for R$ 5000 (approximately U$ 1700) [SOLD]"

On a subsequent post he added:

”Dear friends, I wish I could detail and share the bug and method with you all, but then it would get corrected and then nobody will be able to enjoy it.”

Obviously we can only speculate, but it seems that one of the Brazilian users from the forum got to negotiate with SONIC_FPS and bought the said method.

About the Facebook page from Medic Games were removed and they replaced with the following:
“Friends, for security reasons we decided to not bring the subject up anymore. In the following days….”

About SONIC_FPS, from what I found about him, it seems that he does know his trade, as he seems to have developed (or at least posted) about other hacking tools and tips. Even if he (or she) has the said method, it could be an impostor, or a scheme. Only time will tell.

Whether Medic Games will go through with this or not, we will have our answers by next week, and we will have a very unusual scenario, where the “vanguard” of console modding will be shifted to an underdeveloped latin american country.

But my problem with this is that they are trying not only charging people for piracy, but to create a retailer chain to create a monopoly around it, and that is not just ethically wrong, since it is being exclusively for backups; it holds modding progress as a whole, limiting functionality and learning potentials. What are your thoughts? Do you want to believe?

UPDATE:

We recently reported about the growing rumors of a PS4 Jailbreak (or, rather, a technique to run pirated games rather than a way to install a PS4 CFW) coming from Brazil.

After we investigated the initial source of this PS4 Jailbreak news, the facebook page of a small Brazilian modchip store, several things happened: The store in question pulled all information off their facebook page, claiming the high level of publicity could lead them to trouble, and a bunch of people contacted me to let me know they either knew about the technique, or had seen it in action.

Hackers from the PS3/PS Vita/PS4 scene have been in touch with me to describe to me a process that is being used on PS3s to copy licenses of a game. The trick involves activating a console for an account, making a copy of its NAND, deactivating it, then copying back the previously saved NAND.

A similar technique is also being used on the PS4, it seems. According to the hackers who have contacted me though, the tricks known for this have been patched by Sony on 2.51 and could brick the console, as mentioned recently by cfwprohpet on Playstationhax.it. The Brazilian modchip stores, however, seem to imply their technique works on 2.51.

Here’s what one commenter, Keko, from Brazil, had to say about this PS4 Jailbreak news in our comments section. The comment below aligns with most of the emails/tips I have received so far on this technique:

Hey bros! The hack is real, and it is not a real hack, but a real bypass, they are using a very simple and old technique from the MSX age, just simple rewrite eeprom, the quite and simple way to say GO. They arent decrypt or crypt anything. When sony tried to safe secure the PS4 they forgot to hardlock inside the CPU/APU the real hashcode for the bios, this is intent to not allow bios to be exchanged or rewrite, so, as they failure to do it, what the Hackers are doing is just simple running the real software inside one console, you can do it as psn/accounts, so the PS4 add $$$ game info inside the rom! So, they only need to stuff original games and matches run bios roms, so, the ROM/GAME will match and so will execute in the console. Remember that ROM can run a FOREVER SOFTWARE INSTALLED ON IT, so, all the games are REAL ORIGINAL and the PS4 arent hacked at all. The Hack is a bypass of ASM code for follow ROM/BIOS reading using a PI, YES SIMPLE AS BRAZILIAN WAY.
But all further games will depend on matches or DUMPS of BIOS/GAME, REMEMBER PS4 GAMES HAVE IT OWN HASH CODE! So, you cant decrypt it like in the PS3 default key, each game has it own key and it must match yo your BIOS coded hash, so, PS4-GAME tied forever! This only doesnt happen in a CD environment, where the hash authenticate the drive and return to PS$$$ that authenticate the BIOS and return with authenticate game, so, it is impossible to use a BYPASS in CD/SATA as no key extraction is possible in a 4 way schema.

BUT THE WAY BRAZILIAN DID IS POSSIBLE, SIMPLE AND WILL RUN!

They just simplified the way to do it!

PI is just to enable flashing/reflashing/ontimeflash/simulation of BIOS.

Other people have contacted me with similar explanations, or to tell me they have seen the technique work on their own machine.

Cfwprophet’s explanation seems to confirm the technique. He however says that attempting this on the latest PS4 firmware (2.51) will brick your console:

1. Buy a PSN Game on Master Console and download it
2. Connect Slave Console to PSN, create Account from Master Console, activate Slave Console and download the game
3. Dump the NOR Flash of Slave Console with Tools like Teensy++ or the Pi (let us call that dump from now on ActivatedDMP)
4. Boot Slave Console, Connect to PSN and Deactivate the Console
5. Write the ActivatedDMP back to the NOR of Slave Console
6. Profit, the Process can now be repeated on any other PS4 without reaching the “three consoles max” official PSN Game Share limit

Tiny electronics stores in Brazil charge somewhere between $100 and $150 to install about 10 recent games on a PS4 with their technique. They are, of course, keeping the technique a secret, in order for it to not get patched, but also so that they can run a profitable business reselling pirated games. If this is the same technique as the one described by sceners above, then it is dubious it would work on 2.51. Because of this, it is difficult to get a clear confirmation, or proof that this fully works. One can only rely on the reputation of these shops, which in general is quite high based on the reviews on the eBay-like sites where they operate.

After the “first” store to claim they had access to this PS4 jailbreak decided to keep quiet about it, a few others surfaced again in Brazil. Some stores are selling a bulk of 10 games for a fee on eBay-like marketplaces. Others are basically doing the same, and announcing they are in possession of the PS4 Jailbreak, showcasing the results for their clients. This was recently uncovered by maxconsole, who made a copy of the video on youtube to ensure it doesn’t magically disappear:

The video above is from a shop “Razer Extreme”, and the facebook comment basically states:

To Thiago Faria your PS4 is ready. I know that you not like football lol, but I added it anyway… Come this afternoon.

PS4 Jailbreak news happen on a regular basis, even if their often unclaimed or purely hoaxes. But this is not the first time we are seeing people selling pirated games on the PS4. Some of our members reported a few months ago that China has a booming market for PS4 games resellers. It seems their technique however is to buy games on a specific account, then share that account with as many people as possible, for a fee. Something that’s technically easy to understand, but also that Sony can spot and put to an end extremely easily.

It is still unclear if the technique actually works on 2.51, if it is different from the one that was described by cfwprophet and others, if it is even real, and how widespread it is. So far, most sources are coming directly from Brazil (whether they’re on facebook or other places). It’s difficult to know if this PS4 Jailbreak is really happening in Brazil, or if it’s just a bunch of pranksters capitalizing on the recent PS4 Jailbreak news from Brazil.

As it’s been stated a few times, even if the technique happens to work, it is not really a PS4 jailbreak, but apparently just a way to run pirated games.

UPDATE #2:

We’ve revealed a few weeks ago that some electronic stores in Brazil were advertising a way to copy pirate video games onto your PS4 for a fee. Although the technique was not described in details (these stores wanted, after all, to make a profit out of the scheme, not share it for everyone to get it for free, or for Sony to patch it), we’ve been in touch with several members of the hacking scene, as well as customers of these stores, who have all confirmed the existence of the “hack”.

Yesterday, journalists at UOL Jogos, a trusted site in Brazil, have confirmed that the hack is real, as they have verified it themselves on a test console (original article, in Portuguese, can be found You must login or register to view this content.). It needs to be emphasized that this is not the well known “account sharing” trick, but a new kind of hack.

Small electronics store in some streets of Sao Paulo will charge from R$ 300 to R$ 400 (about $100 to $150) in order to install 10 pirated games on your console. The UOL journalists have confirmed the hack to work on their own console.

The process, as described by Brazilian modchip stores, is close to what we have explained before: a Dump of a “legit” console with a dozen games on it is performed, and copied to the target console. In addition to a copy of the hard drive, it is safe to assume a dump of the NAND/BIOS is performed as well. It seems the dump is performed with the help of a regular raspberry pi, as this had been implied the first time we uncovered this story.

The process described on UOL is extremely similar to what has been described on the scene, activate a PS4 for a given account, make a full copy of its state/NAND, deactivate it, then copy the backed-up NAND again. UOL mentions however that in their experiment, their console ended up with 2 registered accounts, which are part of the cloning process, and required for the games to work.

Other ways have existed for pirates in the past: Sony lets people activate several consoles on the same account, so some people abuse that system by sharing accounts with their friends. This piracy technique remains limited as you can only share an account with a limited number of consoles. This new technique, however, has virtually no limit to how many PS4s could replicate the games. As such, this is a very lucrative business for these electronics shop, who make close to 100% profit on this technique.

These shops in Brazil charge about $100 to install 10 games. These games would cost almost $600 normally. This is a great deal for both the client and the seller. To get more games, one has to come back to the store and pay roughly $15 for each additional game. UOL mention that with 10 games of the current generation, your PS4 hard drive is pretty much full anyway, so you’ll have to erase a few ones to add new ones.

The article on UOL mentions that the hack initially originated on a Russian site. Given what I’ve been told so far though, it could literally have originated from anywhere, as it is heavily inspired from a similar technique on the PS3 that is widely known. It could be one of those “not so secret” secrets of the scene.

As we’ve discussed before, this is not really what could be considered as a PS4 Jailbreak, and of minimal interest from a homebrew perspective. It is still interesting however, from my point of view, to confirm once again that a system is as secure as its weakest link. Although no encryption is broken here, pirates are still able to find their way, while us “homebrewers” are left in the cold.

Sony are not totally ignoring the issue of piracy in Brazil. It seems they are aware of the “account sharing” technique (and how some stores are monetizing it) and already You must login or register to view this content.. It is safe to assume they will at least do the same for this new piracy technique, and will probably be looking into ways to patch the hack. As a reminder, people on the PS4 hacking scene have told us that the technique they knew about has been patched on 2.51, so it seems the technique used by Brazilian stores is slightly different from that.
Last edited by TotalModzHD ; 05-13-2015 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Updated

The following 3 users say thank you to TotalModzHD for this useful post:

Britis-, dwi_745$$$, wajdi9
04-30-2015, 04:11 PM #2
eizey3
Gym leader
Fingers Crossed Ey Ps3 Modding Scene On Its Arse So A Fresh Ps4 Jailbreak Would Be Just The Tonic
04-30-2015, 04:45 PM #3
TotalModzHD
Bounty hunter
Originally posted by eizey3 View Post
Fingers Crossed Ey Ps3 Modding Scene On Its Arse So A Fresh Ps4 Jailbreak Would Be Just The Tonic

this isn't a jailbreak, it only lets you play pirated games on ps4
05-02-2015, 08:52 AM #4
Killing4love
I am error
Im looking forward to this, but my guess is that even if they try to sell the service instead of being us making the "modding" we could more easily figure out whats behind this and what did they use for making the games to work since we have it all there, its a matter of time. Then someone should release it.
05-02-2015, 10:30 PM #5
Originally posted by TotalModzHD View Post
this isn't a jailbreak, it only lets you play pirated games on ps4

Pirated games = mods if you know what you're doing Winky Winky

The following 3 users say thank you to Black Panther for this useful post:

AlphaStorm100, DexTeamFTW, SWAT CLAN
05-04-2015, 06:21 PM #6
TotalModzHD
Bounty hunter
Originally posted by Black
Pirated games = mods if you know what you're doing Winky Winky

i guess so, but this is literally the tip of the iceberg. it's most likely just some way of installing the game to the hdd and then fooling the disc verification process, we're still a long way away from a jailbreak if we are ever going to get one.
05-04-2015, 06:22 PM #7
TotalModzHD
Bounty hunter
Originally posted by Killing4love View Post
Im looking forward to this, but my guess is that even if they try to sell the service instead of being us making the "modding" we could more easily figure out whats behind this and what did they use for making the games to work since we have it all there, its a matter of time. Then someone should release it.

that's exactly what all the other devs think Winky Winky
05-06-2015, 11:57 PM #8
dwi_745$$$
Climbing up the ladder
Here we go again ya baby time to ruin and enjoy ps4 gaming
05-07-2015, 12:00 AM #9
~ Dragan ~
Bounty hunter
Gonna ruin the ps4 community... leave it for the ps3 lol

The following 2 users say thank you to ~ Dragan ~ for this useful post:

Nigel_Powers-22, xNITEMAREx
05-10-2015, 08:21 PM #10
The picture of their device is a generic raspberry pi picture. If I had access to a device that lets me pirate ps4 games, I would at the very least provide a legit photo of it.
Last edited by dirtytone ; 05-10-2015 at 08:58 PM.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo